Trash in my super glue finish

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone, I just finished my second cue build and I ended up trying to finish the cue 3 times. Epoxy base- sanded round then 10-15 coats of superglue, sanding (320 grit)
Image1611765054.882974.jpg
Image1611765106.105733.jpg
round about every four coats. Every time I am getting little fragments of paper towel in the glue. Maybe my Costco paper towels are not up to this task and I should switch to Bounty? Is there anything else to try besides building a spray booth (I don’t want to do this right now, give me a year or two).

I’m using Devcon 5min, and Cue Components Medium Cyanoacrylate.

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That horizontal dark line is how I learned that I needed to use live tooling while tapering. You can ignore that, I learned my lesson and how to patch my mistake. 🥸

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your paper towel is getting stuck to the cue you might need to maybe spin the cue a little faster or move the paper towel along the cue faster. Or both. And a decent quality paper towel wouldn't hurt either, the real cheap shit is almost way to thin for it.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I use the basic white Viva towels for everything. However,too much glue on one of those will smoke and give you a reaction you might not like.

Eye protection,gloves,and respirator/mask/ventilation are equally important.

Someone on the FB cuemaking/repair group suggested leaving your finishing CA open for a bit and letting it "off-gas" makes it easier to use and safer.

The white marks you show can certainly be sanded out,but be careful to not sand thru. Tommy D.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
ok..... only use Bounty select a size paper towels.......... they never leave trash in the finish ......... some cheap paper towels will actually scratch a finish............. also don't use any 5 minute epoxy for the undercoat/sealer.......... they will horribly turn yellow in less than a year............ use Max 1618............ it takes a few hours to set up but it stays crystal clear for ever

Kim

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome guys, I’ll drop the Costco paper towels. Are you guys using loctite professional or something like barringer’s medium or thin CA?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

OrigZaphod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coming from Pen turning and Finishing. Use the Blue Shop towels from any big box home improvement store,, (not wallyworld). For the CA, Mercury Flex or Bob Smith Industries (BSI) Thin or Med.

Often For a cue, I would do thin passes, Do not put the CA on the Paper towel, rather have the Paper towel under the cue, and while moving left to right, or right to left, dealers choice, thin line on top of the cue while turning and spread as you go in one pass. Couple thin and then use a few med ca.

Polish as usual, (I sand 600, then move to ZONA paper, before buffing.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone, I just finished my second cue build and I ended up trying to finish the cue 3 times. Epoxy base- sanded round then 10-15 coats of superglue, sanding (320 grit) View attachment 582964View attachment 582965round about every four coats. Every time I am getting little fragments of paper towel in the glue. Maybe my Costco paper towels are not up to this task and I should switch to Bounty? Is there anything else to try besides building a spray booth (I don’t want to do this right now, give me a year or two).

I’m using Devcon 5min, and Cue Components Medium Cyanoacrylate.

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky
If you are not VERY WELL VENTILATED you should not do superglue finishes. In fact, if you are smelling it, it is killing you. I already know people that died doing them. Stop now.