Try This/Shot Execution

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When your down on your shot, and your alignment is correct along with what you feel is the correct striking point on the cue ball, take the last 3-4 seconds to just look at the obj. ball....then pull the trigger as you normally would.

Many players are often looking up/back and never focus entirely on the contact with the object ball and pocketing of it for the last 3-4 seconds.

Try it, it's simple, and is why all pics of SVB show his eyes looking forward.

This Quickly builds ''great muscle memory''.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When your down on your shot, and your alignment is correct along with what you feel is the correct striking point on the cue ball, take the last 3-4 seconds to just look at the obj. ball....then pull the trigger as you normally would.

Many players are often looking up/back and never focus entirely on the contact with the object ball and pocketing of it for the last 3-4 seconds.

its called
"Quiet eyes"
lots of research on this

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had lessons where they actually track your eye movements on video and then discuss it with you. There are some players, very talented I might add, that actually look at CB last.

mrshifty

Registered
Try getting set on the shot and then closing your eyes when you actually shoot. If your mechanics are all sound, and you are lined up on the shot right, you will make the shot. Doing this can force you to get the mechanics right again. We sometimes get lazy and don't line the shot up right to begin with, and then try to steer it in.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
its called
"Quiet eyes"
lots of research on this
I call it looking at the obj. ball last.
It's best to keep this simple, especially when teaching.
When one says quiet eyes, everyone processes that word quite differently.
I'm just offering up a simple explanation to many that overthink this, SPF moment.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had someone recently tell me to pay attention to the pros next time I watch a match and notice how they wait that 3-4 seconds before pulling the trigger versus an amateur. The more I thought about it and observed others I realized that the same is true of the top local players in my area.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I had someone recently tell me to pay attention to the pros next time I watch a match and notice how they wait that 3-4 seconds before pulling the trigger versus an amateur. The more I thought about it and observed others I realized that the same is true of the top local players in my area.

That last 3-4 second pause before pulling the trigger is my final check that everything is a go before I take the shot.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
For a long time I did no practise strokes, which really helped me develop the focused gaze on the object ball. It helps other things too, among them paying very close attention to setup, foot position and everything else. It's a good exercise.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

Great minds ;)

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If i never watch contact points when i aim why i would do that now?
Edit: added comment that finally set me free from that : "CJ Wiley "you cant pick up spot from round object. It will move around too much"