Two Shot Foul

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this out with the Barber on the West Coast....it’s not how it works.
if you push out, you’re on one foul
if I push back, then I’m on one foul
if you say ‘shoot again’ and I foul, you now get ball in hand
if you shoot and foul, I get ball in hand

Whats not to like?

I never saw it played like that but that is a good way to play pushout. Did you spot all balls ? CB behind the line on a pocket scratch ? Make the 9 and scratch , CB behind the line 9 on the spot ? Must shoot over the head string with CB behind the line ?
I could play those rules. Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never saw it played like that but that is a good way to play pushout. Did you spot all balls ? CB behind the line on a pocket scratch ? Make the 9 and scratch , CB behind the line 9 on the spot ? Must shoot over the head string with CB behind the line ?
I could play those rules. Thanks
As I recall, after a scratch, the lowest ball would spot if behind the line. All balls made illegally would spot. If multiple balls were spotted, they spotted in numerical order regardless of the reason for being spotted. BIH behind the line except for two-foul penalties.

When balls were spotted, it was common for the scratcher to get the next shot as the lowest ball might be hard to hit in the crowded rack area.

The problem with "two fouls on the same player" is that it is slower. I think either version is playable.

I do have one question about "two on the same" though. Are all fouls erased on any good shot by either player? Or does my foul carry over while you run the four and five and play safe on the six?

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I recall, after a scratch, the lowest ball would spot if behind the line. All balls made illegally would spot. If multiple balls were spotted, they spotted in numerical order regardless of the reason for being spotted. BIH behind the line except for two-foul penalties.

When balls were spotted, it was common for the scratcher to get the next shot as the lowest ball might be hard to hit in the crowded rack area.

The problem with "two fouls on the same player" is that it is slower. I think either version is playable.

I do have one question about "two on the same" though. Are all fouls erased on any good st by either player? Or does my foul carry over while you run the four and five and play safe on the six?
As I remember all fouls are erased after a legal shot.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do have one question about "two on the same" though. Are all fouls erased on any good shot by either player? Or does my foul carry over while you run the four and five and play s

I do have one question about "two on the same" though. Are all fouls erased on any good shot by either player? Or does my foul carry over while you run the four and five and play safe on the six?
Thats 1 reason we played 2nd consecutive foul was ball in hand. And it was faster.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if players ever get back to gambling and matching up shoot out will have to come back in. as texas express doesnt leave itself to a gambling game\ with players of unequal ability.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were different variations of the game played through out the country. Back when, we played when a scratch occurred and the object ball was behind the line, it was removed from the table and the only balls that were spotted would be the ball before the 9 (what ever it may have been except for the opening break) and the 9 were spotted. If the rules were changed to the old style of play, the game would be different in so many ways and IMO bring more of those eye popping, Wow moments, to the game, my 2 cents issued.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if players ever get back to gambling and matching up shoot out will have to come back in. as texas express doesnt leave itself to a gambling game\ with players of unequal ability.
There were different variations of the game played through out the country. Back when, we played when a scratch occurred and the object ball was behind the line, it was removed from the table and the only balls that were spotted would be the ball before the 9 (what ever it may have been except for the opening break) and the 9 were spotted. If the rules were changed to the old style of play, the game would be different in so many ways and IMO bring more of those eye popping, Wow moments, to the game, my 2 cents issued.
Wiser words are seldom posted on this forum. Our sport needs an increase of significant play away from tournaments.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotation games now days are just plain boring, and I seldom play nor watch them. IMO the rules that were made to speed up the game ruined the game in large part.
The new rules took away the Spot Shot,,back in the day I would practice Spots for hours working out different areas of the table to plant the cue ball for different position set up's. Try this one , shoot the spot shot into the top left hand corner and draw the cue ball to the long rail and then back above the left side pocket..hit 5 or 6 of those in a row.