Two things I don't understand about snooker

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
1 - Why do the not allow chalk on the rail. Chalk in your pocket is nasty. Not only does your pocket get full of chalk which is a problem doing laundry but he runs through the pocket onto your leg. I wash the chalk off my hands when I'm done. Snooker player wash it off the hands and their leg. Why would they make a goofy rule like that?

2 - Why do snooker players drag the butt of the cue around the table on the floor? The butt of the cue picks up whatever anybody brought into the pool hall on the soles of their shoes from outdoors. When they grip the cue it transfers to their hand. Blue chalk on their leg, dog **** on their hand.

To point #2.
Exactly why I have to conceed 1 rule to my wife.
We argue on a LOT of other stuff lol..........
No shoes in the house! It just makes sense.
Any article on what's found on the bottom of shoes when swabbed and tested should convince anyone.
Beyond germaphobic. Just nasty.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
holee facck are you old, lol

stick to "carom" old timer

i'll keep an eye on you moving forward....... cause you simply just talk too much shit

almost 2018 jewett, teach your kids and your senior wife something

ha ha

Fond memories of my first beer.......

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I used to put chalk on the rail when I first started playing snooker, but the table is huge. It's both annoying and embarassing to spend half your time walking around looking for chalk and I ended up not chalking unless I absoulutely needed to because its a hassle to keep walking back and forth around the massive table.

And after a while the chalk tends to get bunched up near the foot area, so you end up having to walk from one end to the other just to get chalk when you have a shot from the head rail.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I used to put chalk on the rail when I first started playing snooker, but the table is huge. It's both annoying and embarassing to spend half your time walking around looking for chalk and I ended up not chalking unless I absoulutely needed to because its a hassle to keep walking back and forth around the massive table.

And after a while the chalk tends to get bunched up near the foot area, so you end up having to walk from one end to the other just to get chalk when you have a shot from the head rail.

It’s great to see you post again.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was simply pointing out to the poster I was responding to that there can be advantages to marking the rail at snooker. I was not saying that I have ever seen anyone do it, and in fact I haven't.

As for the UK scene, the first time I played snooker in London was in 1972 and the most recent was in 2014.

As for marking the rail on a snooker table, there's Byrne's story about Bob Bills marking a rail (with a piece of chalk) in a golf game. Pretty funny. You may want to look it up.

I wonder what would happen if a Filipino referee worked a snooker game in England and started marking the table every time somebody shot over a ball. I'd like to see that happen just for the entertainment value.

Different culture, different rules and traditions.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
They only allow doubles in snooker, not banks.

Canuck snooker players BANK balls, just like our neighbor.
....mind you, more and more Canadians are calling a game of snooker a frame..:angry:
.....drives me nuts
To me, a frame is when you’re unjustly convicted.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Canuck snooker players BANK balls, just like our neighbor.
More and more corrupted. :eek: Build a wall before it's too late.

....mind you, more and more Canadians are calling a game of snooker a frame..:angry:
.....drives me nuts
To me, a frame is when you’re unjustly convicted.

I've noticed a lot of players saying "pot" these days and not just in Colorado. :wink:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed a lot of players saying "pot" these days and not just in Colorado. :wink:
"Long pot" is a nice term, not surprised that it may start to be picked up by American billiard degenerates who watch snooker on YouTube. Not that we would know anyone like that...

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He attacked bob jewett, and then his family. Wow, then called out before strike three. Hallelujah