UK OPEN 2024 - Matchroom fails to complete the field, 20+ players short

Only 230 players this year (out of 256), and I see plenty of players that aren't WNT Pros and neither qualified for the events (kinda special event to make up the numbers - think Boyes, JJ, Troy Deeney)

Bit weird that Matchroom couldn't fill the field despite Brendan Moore contacting all past UK Open participants and all people that took part in the qualifiers and offered them a Wildcard last week.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Any new business model will evolve/mature and if successful, will adjust as needed.

Oikawa

Need to login to see anything. Any links or images to the draw/player list that don't require an account?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It is not that weird that interest in participation dropped when the event was moved from London (population 9.2 million) to Telford (population 153,000), which is 35 miles from England's second most populous city of Birmingham (population 1.1 million). Telford is 158 miles from London.

I'm sure that it was good business to relocate the event, but many of the "dead money" players in the first two UK Open events were from London.

I think it is impressive that 230 players have committed to play in the event and hope they are somehow able to fill the field.

With or without a full field, though, I expect a first-rate event at the UK Open that will thrill pool fans everywhere. Nobody produces events like Matchroom!

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The brackets are out and I count 17 byes into round 2, which went to the TOP TOP TOP players, as they should. Maybe it was intentional for the top 16 to have a bye, (and #17 was unexpected)? I'm just thinking out loud...

Flakeandrun

Telford is a pain to get to.

They should have really kept the event in London.
Too expensive... and not worth it for them. They should move it to a different city in the UK each year, if they are really interested in growing the sport there. Not sure they need to when they are plopping all these events all over the world at the same time.

There's barely a handful of places to play on American tables in the UK. It needs more exposure there. Nearest table I know of from where I am from would be at least 5/6 hours away.