ultraskin tip install

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure your Lathe crossslide is setup correctly....it may look like you are facing the ferrule flat....BUT you could have it slightly cocked which would make a slight point on the ferrule face instead of it perfectly flat. take a 1" dowel and chuck up and face it off...using an accurate 90 square, check the facing for flatness in relation to the side of the dowel......if any void or rocking, then your lathe crossslide is not set properly to the headstock..
Great point Dave; one thing I would add is something I overlooked when I started replacing tips. If using HSS tooling, make sure it’s sharp. Dull tooling will not face the ferrule flat enough.

PracticeChampion

Ive put a bunch on and did have a problem once but it was my lathe not cutting square not the tip. I sand tip with 220 and wipe off clean with paper towel to get dust off, 220 Ferrell then glue and let sit 5 mins with pressure from tail stock.

I'll say after sanding flat and clean good if you look at tip you'll see holes in it and they seem to really drink the glue so I put it on fairly heavy vrs some others like lepro

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I started using Loctite Professional on Ultra Skin tips. I have not needed to put the prep coat on and let it dry first like I have had to do with some other layered tips. But it is not a bad idea just to play it safe. My son used some older Loctite Professional recently and had one pop off while installing it. He then put a light coat on. Let it dry, then put a wet coat on and it and installed with no problem with the older glue.

dendweller

Thanks for all the replies, some good information here.

Put one on this morning.

Couple things I changed.
Didn't score the tip with a razor, just sanded with 250. Cleaned off the sanded area with masking tape.
Put a thin layer on first, wiped it off, waited 30 seconds and put a couple drops before applying to shaft.
Didn't put quite the pressure as I usually do with the triangles.
Took it out of the lathe and did something else for a while. Most times I'm trimming within a few minutes.
Did less trimming with tooling, more with a razor blade.

Seemed to take fine. Thanks for all the input.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I started using Loctite Professional on Ultra Skin tips. I have not needed to put the prep coat on and let it dry first like I have had to do with some other layered tips. But it is not a bad idea just to play it safe. My son used some older Loctite Professional recently and had one pop off while installing it. He then put a light coat on. Let it dry, then put a wet coat on and it and installed with no problem with the older glue.
I'll second this. The ONLY time I've had a tip pop off was when I decided to get new glue based on internet advice. I went with Loctite Pro. The tip popped in about 3 breaks. I sanded it flat and used my old gorilla glue super glue. The tip is still on with hundreds of breaks.

I'd guess Loctite Pro is great when new but older it's garbage. I didn't want to take the chance again and bought a new bottle of Gorilla. No problems since.

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I've always used triangle tips, have a lathe, have never had a problem putting them on, never had one fall off on me.

I recently bought some ultraskins to give them a try. Don't know if there's a different method of installing but I'm not having the success I always have with the triangles.

Here's my current process.

I rough the tip on sand paper to flatten it, score the flattened area with a razor. Also score the cleaned up surface on the shaft. Put gel super glue on the tip, rub it around on the shaft surface so I have complete coverage, position it and hold it tightly in place for a count of 30 or so. Then I let it sit for a 5 minutes or so before trimming.

Do the same with the ultraskin and it tends to fall off either when letting off the pressure or when trimming.

Anybody see anything I'm doing wrong for a layered tip?

Thanks for any advice.
If you press the tip too firmly, you will make a dry bond, basically you squeezed out too much glue. Use just enough pressure to keep the tip in place.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What we all need to make a mental note of is pigskin absorbs more glue than cow. And most layered tips are pigskin. So getting a dryer weaker bond is more likely. The slower the glue dries the more likley it is to happen if no prep seal coat is used.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
on every tip I install.... I sand the glue side with 120 then put on a puddle of thin CA and let it soak in......... dab off the excess CA and hit it with kicker............ lightly sand it smooth........ install with loctite gel control .............

Kim

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on every tip I install.... I sand the glue side with 120 then put on a puddle of thin CA and let it soak in......... dab off the excess CA and hit it with kicker............ lightly sand it smooth........ install with loctite gel control .............

Kim

Similar to pre-coating a cue with BSI before final finish?

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In explaining your technique you stated that you rub your glue around. Don't do that. That starts the curing before you touch the tip to the ferrule. Put a nice tall drop of CA onto your tip. Then place the tip onto the ferrule.
I sand my tips, then prime with a drop of thin CA. Let it dry, then lightly sand again. The priming stops the tip from sucking up the glue. I breathe several times on to the tip and ferrule. The moisture helps the CA cure. Then put a nice tall drop of CA onto the tip. Place the tip onto the ferrule. If you need to slide the tip around to center, do it. Don't pick up the tip.