Unbelievable speed - video

crappoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is simply rediculous, I think he was only 14 at the time as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYMx49MDvs&feature=related
The point where he makes the century is actually quicker than the fastest ever ton made in professional play (by Tony Drago) AND he is getting the balls out himself!
Btw, dont let the positional play fool you, he does know what he's doing, just for some reason decides to not think at all for this break, and STILL makes the clearance. As a shot maker he will be one of the best ever and there is already a video of him playing stephen hendry at 14 in a match and winning 4-3.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Imagine what he'll do on a bar table playing 8-ball. I'm sure most of you are thinking what I'm thinking, he's a perfect APA 4. :thumbup2:

Seriously, that is impressive.:clapping:

RoryHunt

The King of "so close."
Silver Member
This is simply rediculous, I think he was only 14 at the time as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYMx49MDvs&feature=related
The point where he makes the century is actually quicker than the fastest ever ton made in professional play (by Tony Drago) AND he is getting the balls out himself!
Btw, dont let the positional play fool you, he does know what he's doing, just for some reason decides to not think at all for this break, and STILL makes the clearance. As a shot maker he will be one of the best ever and there is already a video of him playing stephen hendry at 14 in a match and winning 4-3.

That shot he makes on the black ball @ 1:30 is very nice. @ 3:10 he shoots lefty without any hesitation and makes it look easy. I am impressed.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Are these pockets competition-size? Some of those shots, I can't believe they went in. There was an awkward angle longish black in the middle that it sounded like he miscued, and the ball still rolled right in the heart of the pocket.

He's pretty amazing.

-Andrew

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To pick nits:D

Drago has the fastest Century in competition - 3 minutes 33 seconds

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jRXYWcWA9-M

The kid shot a red before he had replaced the black about midway through, so technically he fouled.

The fastest recorded Century was Alex Higgins in an exhibition in 1972. IIRC 2 minutes 55 seconds, but he had the benefit of a referee replacing the colours. Really rotten video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5BYbSfOtVU

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
To pick nits:D

Drago has the fastest Century in competition - 3 minutes 33 seconds

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jRXYWcWA9-M

The kid shot a red before he had replaced the black about midway through, so technically he fouled.

The fastest recorded Century was Alex Higgins in an exhibition in 1972. IIRC 2 minutes 55 seconds, but he had the benefit of a referee replacing the colours. Really rotten video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x5BYbSfOtVU

Scaramouche:

If I'm not mistaken, The Hurricane's record has an asterisk next to it, not only because it was an exhibition (vs. a tournament), but it was executed on a club table, which is 10' x 5' (not 12' x 6'). And although the video quality does leave a lot to be desired, one can still tell, even with the compressed-from-the-sides anomalous video, that the table is smaller than usual.

I think that's the reason why Drago's 3 min 33 sec century is recognized as the fastest, not Alex Higgins'. (That is not to detract from Alex's accomplishment, by the way -- he didn't earn the nickname "The Hurricane" for nothing. A very fast shot, quite a pleasure to watch as is Drago.)

As for Luca Brecel (sirname sounds like "weckle"), the alarm has been sounded. This kid is really going somewhere, if he sticks with the sport. He's already got a few 147 maximums to his credit, one of which is on YouTube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UgPuJhXnRHY

Such a smooth, textbook style -- 4-point contact and everything.

-Sean

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
He could be much better if

He joined AZB and got in on a few of those aiming system threads.
If he ever learned how to pivot the hip, the bridge hand,align over here and put his stick over there,bend the neck.count to 10 backwards, hop on one leg,,,,,, he may have a chance .:scratchhead::scratchhead:Maybe his parents can buy him a few of the new videos.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
He joined AZB and got in on a few of those aiming system threads.
If he ever learned how to pivot the hip, the bridge hand,align over here and put his stick over there,bend the neck.count to 10 backwards, hop on one leg,,,,,, he may have a chance .:scratchhead::scratchhead:Maybe his parents can buy him a few of the new videos.

Funny tongue-in-cheek humor aside, there's a point here. Pool seems to be the only pocket-based cue sport where a market even *exists* for such things as pivot-based aiming (even though that's pretty much free) and commercial products like "Perfect Aim". These things simply don't exist in more demanding (precision-wise) pocket-based cue sports such as snooker and Russian Pyramid, where the focus is where it needs to be -- on one's fundamentals.

Anyway, food for thought,
-Sean

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
He suffers from autism but it certainly doesn't affect his play. He fouled three or four times by spotting the color after pocketing the next red... but I don't care. The kid is AMAZING.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I am just baffled that no balls threw off line as they went to the hole. I guess he knows how to compensate his aim for that. Awesome shot making for sure.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Funny tongue-in-cheek humor aside, there's a point here. Pool seems to be the only pocket-based cue sport where a market even *exists* for such things as pivot-based aiming (even though that's pretty much free) and commercial products like "Perfect Aim". These things simply don't exist in more demanding (precision-wise) pocket-based cue sports such as snooker and Russian Pyramid, where the focus is where it needs to be -- on one's fundamentals.

Anyway, food for thought,
-Sean

But do we know for SURE they don't exist, or is it just that we live in a country where pool is more popular and the forums have more pool-related info (including links to pool instructional materials)? Maybe the snooker equivalent of AZB has comparable products? And not a lot of us even read enough russian to be able to say what products can be found on russian sites for pyramid.

I would think in sports where shots are harder to aim, the appeal of an aiming system or some shortcut would be even greater.

victorcubed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are these pockets competition-size? Some of those shots, I can't believe they went in. There was an awkward angle longish black in the middle that it sounded like he miscued, and the ball still rolled right in the heart of the pocket.

He's pretty amazing.

-Andrew

Even if they aren't competition size, he still puts ups pool players to shame :eek:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He must have never got the memo that a lot of those shots are extremely difficult. I know I got mine.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Pool seems to be the only pocket-based cue sport where a market even *exists* for such things as pivot-based aiming ...

The advocates for pivot-based aiming techniques might claim that such techniques will reach the other cue sports in time -- particularly if, at long last, they are clearly described and illustrated in the upcoming videos and consensus builds that they are valid geometrically.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perfect Aim and pivot-based aiming not found in other pocket-based cue sports

CreeDo:

Apologies I'm seeing this only now, but better late than never, I guess.

I'll answer your questions in-line...

But do we know for SURE they don't exist, or is it just that we live in a country where pool is more popular and the forums have more pool-related info (including links to pool instructional materials)? Maybe the snooker equivalent of AZB has comparable products?

I can answer that, since I play snooker, and I read several snooker forums. The answer is that I've seen only one -- that's not a typo, "one" -- aiming alternative to traditional "dummy ball" (the term our UK/European friends use for what we on these boards know as ghostball). That alternative is actually a fractional aiming technique (which we on these boards are also familiar with), shown here:

Part 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQM5lFkeYl8

Part 2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KjCnZSVjBrw

Part 3:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=M18didHSIBE

In the years I've been playing snooker, I've NEVER HEARD of any pivot-based aiming technique for the game of snooker, either described in text, by players, in forums, by commentators, or what have you. Pivot-based aiming is simply not an option, for the very rudimentary reason that pivot-based aiming BREAKS snooker fundamentals. There is a basic premise in snooker fundamentals -- you align as many joints in your body *INTO* the shot (e.g. your feet, your knees, your waist, your shoulders, elbow, wrist, etc.) so that any flexion in these joints goes into the shot, not away from it. The very premise of pivot-based aiming goes against this core snooker foundation. Sure, the CTE advocates will say "pivot before getting down on the shot" (that whole air pivot thing), but it doesn't work that way in snooker. A good snooker player sees the dummy ball accurately, it's just that simple. Your average pub snooker player ("bar banger" or recreational player) "needing" such things as Perfect Aim or pivot-based aiming probably has other defects that detract more from his/her game than just merely aiming. Whenever you see a snooker player of any decent skill miss a shot, he/she almost NEVER says "I aimed wrong." No, the answer usually lies in a fault with his/her fundamentals. And video analysis usually reveals what went wrong -- a little sideways hitch in the stroke, popping up, etc.

As for the "Perfect Aim" product, the need is already addressed by the core snooker/Pyramid fundamentals. Proper head/eye placement is CORE to the technique. In pool, there is no real "core" technique other than what the BCA-certified (or SPF) instructors teach. Rather, you hear folks saying "do what's comfortable." So if a player is "comfortable" with his/her head cocked at a 35 degree angle to the cue, noone points this out, unless the player is missing badly. So here's where a "product" like Perfect Aim comes in -- to address a need (read: opportunity) that either wasn't addressed before, or isn't addressed in the pool fundamentals by some sort of checks-and-balances system like the snooker/Pyramid fundamentals do. (That "checks-and-balances" system is the 4-point contact, which ensures one's head and eyes are *always* in the correct position -- every single shot.)

And not a lot of us even read enough russian to be able to say what products can be found on russian sites for pyramid.

I speak and write Russian to a decent extent, CreeDo, by virtue of my ex. (Я пишу и говорю русского. Мой бывший супруга русск.) And I can tell you in all the Russian Pyramid videos I've watched, I've never heard nor seen any sign of a pivot-based aiming technique. Most of those Pyramid players have world-class fundamentals, and the shots played are usually NOT "shoot cue ball at object ball to pocket object ball." No, the majority of the shots are carom shots -- to carom the cue ball off the object ball to pocket the cue ball. So in effect, Russian Pyramid has more in common with 3 cushion billiards than it does with pool. You don't see pivot-based aiming techniques in 3-cushion, right?

I would think in sports where shots are harder to aim, the appeal of an aiming system or some shortcut would be even greater.

You would think so, right? And in any other circumstances I'd normally agree. Except that it doesn't work out that way. Because pool has such relaxed pocket apertures compared to snooker or Russian Pyramid, a little slop here and there is ok (and useful, actually -- cheating the pocket in pool is a core technique!). In the other pocket-based cue sports, accuracy is at a premium. Pivot-based aiming simply does not fit; the core snooker/Pyramid fundamentals would have to be modified to accept it. And considering the age of CTE (it's quite old from what I understand), you'd think surely it would've crept over into those other pocket-based cue sports by now, right? The fact is, it hasn't. And for good reason. It's simply not accurate enough.

Hope this helps,
-Sean