Uneven frame

jwciv

Registered
Following the instructions for installing and leveling a 3-piece slate table and have run into an issue.
Have a Brunswick Scottsdale table, 3 piece slate, pretty low quality frame. The top of the frame, which the slate rests on, is made of 4 pieces of plywood. On the head/foot ends, the plywood is higher than the two sides. I can place the center slate and get it leveled nicely. When I put on one of the end slates, since the head and foot plywood are higher, the slate slopes from the end towards the center slate.
The plywood is screwed and glued to the frame below, so adjusting it is not an easy option. I planned to shim the center slate up to match the height of the head/foot.
Sound like an OK plan?
No idea why the table would be built this way.
sketch attached

Attachments

• Top view.JPG
    Top view.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 270

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Following the instructions for installing and leveling a 3-piece slate table and have run into an issue.
Have a Brunswick Scottsdale table, 3 piece slate, pretty low quality frame. The top of the frame, which the slate rests on, is made of 4 pieces of plywood. On the head/foot ends, the plywood is higher than the two sides. I can place the center slate and get it leveled nicely. When I put on one of the end slates, since the head and foot plywood are higher, the slate slopes from the end towards the center slate.
The plywood is screwed and glued to the frame below, so adjusting it is not an easy option. I planned to shim the center slate up to match the height of the head/foot.
Sound like an OK plan?
No idea why the table would be built this way.
sketch attached

I had to do exactly the same thing to my well built Gold Crown 3 , the frame had warped and twisted a bit , and there were high spots.
Once you get the center frame to be the highest point it will be easy to get the rest.
My info came from RKC's tutorial on how to level 3 piece slates and member dontlitethats help
thank you both very much!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Now you're seeing what we table mechanic's have to put up with when all these table manufactures build something that looks like a pool table, and the people that buy them have no idea what they just bought....but expect them to be set up correctly, only most table installers have no idea what they're doing other than screwing the slates down, installing the bed cloth, rails and calling it done:thumbup:

jwciv

Registered
appreciate both the replies, thank you.
realkingcobra, now that I reread your document in its' entirety, it makes sense. Thanks very much for the doc, it's a great service. you mention a DVD at the end, is that available for sale?

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disclaimer - not a table mechanic.

I have had to move my tables each 2-3 times, and have always done the work myself. One of them is an Olhausen that something is a little off on. I always start with the slate that is the highest, and shim the others up to it.