Unknown Hoppe

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m seriously considering selling this cue. PM for specs or offers. Thx, Shooter08.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like to list this cue for sale If I can get some additional information/feedback. Bogey54311 is convinced it is a modified Rambow. The original owner, Dick Hensforth, ordered it new at the Blue Cushion in Milwaukee, Wi at 27th and National in the late 50’s, 57-59 most likely based on his memory for $16 and paid $18 to customize it with a hoppe ring made out of a ivory cue ball and the red rings that were made out of 3 balls. The two additional shafts were made by Jim McDermott approximately 10-15 years later, I believe when Jim was building cues out of his garage. Apparently Dick used to play w Willie Munson on a semi regular basis way back in the day. He sold this cue through a friend several years ago to me because he was going blind and wanted to purchase fishing equipment he could more enjoy. Any input is appreciated. Thx, Shooter08

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I would like to list this cue for sale If I can get some additional information/feedback. Bogey54311 is convinced it is a modified Rambow. The original owner, Dick Hensforth, ordered it new at the Blue Cushion in Milwaukee, Wi at 27th and National in the late 50’s, 57-59 most likely based on his memory for $16 and paid $18 to customize it with a hoppe ring made out of a ivory cue ball and the red rings that were made out of 3 balls. The two additional shafts were made by Jim McDermott approximately 10-15 years later, I believe when Jim was building cues out of his garage. Apparently Dick used to play w Willie Munson on a semi regular basis way back in the day. He sold this cue through a friend several years ago to me because he was going blind and wanted to purchase fishing equipment he could more enjoy. Any input is appreciated. Thx, Shooter08

I would bet the farm that it's a Viking vs a Rambow. Definitely not a Rambow

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would bet the farm that it's a Viking vs a Rambow. Definitely not a Rambow
If was made in the Viking it would not be by Gordon hart. It could be a Helmstetter made when he was there. The ones I have seen from that very brief time period are all titlist conversions but they had long stainless pins. that does not mean they all did though I suppose??
I'd love to go back in time and buy the one that popped up here once. I think Manwon had that one? I wonder where that baby is today. Coulda woulda shoulda!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
If was made in the Viking it would not be by Gordon hart. It could be a Helmstetter made when he was there. The ones I have seen from that very brief time period are all titlist conversions but they had long stainless pins. that does not mean they all did though I suppose??
I'd love to go back in time and buy the one that popped up here once. I think Manwon had that one? I wonder where that baby is today. Coulda woulda shoulda!
I have had some 60s cues with colored acrylic with brass pins and weird brass shaft collar/insert combos

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had some 60s cues with colored acrylic with brass pins and weird brass shaft collar/insert combos
Gordies daughter is a coworker of mine. She confirmed he was not building cues in the time frame of the original purchase.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not interested in the cue at all. But I will share this piece of advice. Folks like to tell you its worth a ton of money, often setting the appraisals very high to please the owner. If anyone gives an appraisal, ask them if they are willing to pay that for the cue, if they wont I suggest you question the true value. I have been buying and selling cues for 30 years and I often seen folks get told a number, and when guys give a realistic offer the owner thinks folks are trying to rip them off.

Ken

Reactions: bbb

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ken, I don't think it is a homerun or anything, just curious if anyone has any more ideas on who could of made it. If anyone has what they think is a reasonable selling price I would appreciate it. Thx Shooter08

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know who would of been making Hoppe conversions in the 57-59 time frame? Still on the hunt to figure out this enigma. Also, anyone have a guess at value? Thx, Shooter08