Upgrade to elephant ear leather wrap

darrenpool

Registered
My playing cue is Irish Linen. I want to upgrade it to elephant ear wrap. I have two questions:

1. Where can I buy elephant ear leather?
2. Who/which website can install it?

Thank you!:)

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Are you looking for real elephant ear or leather textured as elephant ear? I believe jazznpool on here sells wraps. I have real elephant ear on one of my cues and I like it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know much about elephant ear leather.

It is original wrap on the Prewitt cue I bought (resale) and I do not care much for it.......too pebbly,

Having said that, I recently ordered another elephant ear wrap (ultra quality) from jazznpool.

The wrap is currently with my cue-maker for a cue underway which won't be done for months yet.

The best feeling leather wrap I've held was Kangaroo leather but I couldn't locate any in gray color.

Anyway, from what I've experienced, it's getting harder to find elephant ear wraps from any source.

Matt B.

Matt B.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do realize that every time someone buys elephant ears there is another elephants walking around saying "what, speak up. I can't hear you. I don't have any ears"

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Elephants are becoming endangered. Kill them for their Ivory. Kill them for their ears.
Shoot them all. Cut off the tusks and cut off the ears. Just leave 'em to the buzzards.

darrenpool

Registered
I do not know much about elephant ear leather.

It is original wrap on the Prewitt cue I bought (resale) and I do not care much for it.......too pebbly,

Having said that, I recently ordered another elephant ear wrap (ultra quality) from jazznpool.

The wrap is currently with my cue-maker for a cue underway which won't be done for months yet.

The best feeling leather wrap I've held was Kangaroo leather but I couldn't locate any in gray color.

Anyway, from what I've experienced, it's getting harder to find elephant ear wraps from any source.

Matt B.

Matt B.

Thanks for the reply. I will do some research on Kangaroo leather.

darrenpool

Registered
Do realize that every time someone buys elephant ears there is another elephants walking around saying "what, speak up. I can't hear you. I don't have any ears"

I understand that. I love animals. But I hope people use their skin after they are dead.:frown:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guido Orlandi does a remarkable of job of putting an elephant ear wrap on cues 906-542-7069 However we don't suggest the use of elephant ear skins.

If you want a SUPER GRIP... I would suggest getting a "Cork Wrap"... you'll be glad you did. They are fantastic.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darrenpool........funny you mentioned it........I actually have some cadaver tissue (skin) sewn in my right shoulder from my rotator cuff surgery last month. Part of the procedure was a Acellular Dermal Allograph....... recycled dead human tissue where the dermis has been stripped and the tissue is processed into leather like material for durability.

Matt B.

darrenpool

Registered
Guido Orlandi does a remarkable of job of putting an elephant ear wrap on cues 906-542-7069 However we don't suggest the use of elephant ear skins.

If you want a SUPER GRIP... I would suggest getting a "Cork Wrap"... you'll be glad you did. They are fantastic.

Oh? Thanks! I have no experience on any of those. I also saw kangaroo is good too. Now I kinda don't want elephant ear skin anymore. They are too cute :(

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
My playing cue is Irish Linen. I want to upgrade it to elephant ear wrap. I have two questions:

1. Where can I buy elephant ear leather?
2. Who/which website can install it?

Thank you!:)

Send me an email or PM of where you live and I can refer you to one of many cuemakers or repairmen who do superb leather wrap work who have long been customers of mine.

My elephant leathers are sourced legally from the Zimbabwe government. They cull and manage their herds and use the funds generated from selling the hides to maintain their wildlife. Everything is regulated and legal including importation into the USA which is regulated by USA Customs and Fish and Game. The prices for the hides has increased dramatically over the last few years and there is less of it available for importation into the USA.

People interested in educating themselves can spend a few hours reading on the Zimbabwe government website about the matter. There are a few other countries in southern Africa that have elephants too but I am not aware of hides being sourced from them.

I've never heard of, seen or been offered black market elephant leather. People who think the animals are outright slaughtered for their hides in Zimbabwe are just unaware and/or ignorant.

darrenpool

Registered
Send me an email or PM of where you live and I can refer you to one of many cuemakers or repairmen who do superb leather wrap work who have long been customers of mine.

My elephant leathers are sourced legally from the Zimbabwe government. They cull and manage their herds and use the funds generated from selling the hides to maintain their wildlife. Everything is regulated and legal including importation into the USA which is regulated by USA Customs and Fish and Game. The prices for the hides has increased dramatically over the last few years and there is less of it available for importation into the USA.

People interested in educating themselves can spend a few hours reading on the Zimbabwe government website about the matter. There are a few other countries in southern Africa that have elephants too but I am not aware of hides being sourced from them.

I've never heard of, seen or been offered black market elephant leather. People who think the animals are outright slaughtered for their hides in Zimbabwe are just unaware and/or ignorant.

PM sent. Thanks for the message!

Halfjack87

In Training
Silver Member
Darrenpool........funny you mentioned it........I actually have some cadaver tissue (skin) sewn in my right shoulder from my rotator cuff surgery last month. Part of the procedure was a Acellular Dermal Allograph....... recycled dead human tissue where the dermis has been stripped and the tissue is processed into leather like material for durability.

Matt B.

OH - I thought you were going to recommend cadaver tissue for cues! :eek:

(although, one of those cues with skulls all over it could benefit from human skin...)

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elephant ear is expensive, so if you want to make sure it is perfect get Steve Lomax to do it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really smart to work with Martin.......he's gone out of his way to help me with information, advice and products in the past. He also deals in top notch quality pool cues as well.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Guido also does an awesome job with cork. He did several for me in the 90's and I can only imagine that he has gotten better. He was also doing elephant ear wrap back then as we talked about it at a tournament at the Commerce Club in the mid 90\s.

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrap

Steve Lomax just did a lizard srap for me and it turned out great. If he has the wrap in stock, it will take just a few days. Did mine in about a week from my shipment to receipt.