"Upgrading" from a Diamond to a Valley...

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are only going to compete on the Valley tables, change the cloth on your diamond to the slower identical cloth that is on the Valleys.
That way you will move the cue ball the same but you will be use to tighter pockets which should help you become a stone cold killer on those local bar tables.
I think this would be a prudent first action.

It's rare, in my area, to find Simonis cloth on a Valley. Almost all are covered with Championship Mercury Ultra.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just played in a 10 ball tournament in Panama City that uses a heavy magnetic cue ball. WOW, did it screw me up and totally changed the game. I couldn’t draw that ball to s@ve my life🤣
That was the main bb cb when i started playing. I guess it probably still is. You have to play stop-n-follow shots. The Aramith magnetic ball is MUCH better but still funky compared to a real cb.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the main bb cb when i started playing. I guess it probably still is. You have to play stop-n-follow shots. The Aramith magnetic ball is MUCH better but still funky compared to a real cb.
The purple logo magnetic is pretty damn good balance wise. And I think that one is made of Duramith.

Timkrieger

There are drills that are a lot like playing. There are safety drills. Maybe you just haven't found a drill/practice/exercise that is good for you. Identify your weaknesses and work on them.
Great advice. Keep your Diamond. I have a 10’ Brunswick Centennial and a 9’ Brunswick Anniversary. Never played on a 7’ Diamond until a recent trip to Tennessee where that’s the main table in most rooms. Those things are a blast! Great table, so much fun and well built. Actually thinking of picking one up. The problem is you, not the table. Get the book “Pleasures of Small Motions” Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards, by Bob Fancher. This book gives great guidance on training your subconscious to play without thinking. It also reminds you to play to have fun and to keep the right mindset which enables you to play at a high level in situations like league matches that may normally cause stress

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your skill level?
It's really hard for me to measure or explain I guess. I shoot in SE MN where the league is broken up AA/Masters (combined), A, B, C. I took last year off but in years past I have been able to maintain an 8 ball average (or very close) in AA/Masters which is typically top 10 in the league just based on average. Still pretty vague and subjective.

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up a valley cue ball and have noticed a massive difference already. I guess I've overlooked how extremely different both cb's play.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really hard for me to measure or explain I guess. I shoot in SE MN where the league is broken up AA/Masters (combined), A, B, C. I took last year off but in years past I have been able to maintain an 8 ball average (or very close) in AA/Masters which is typically top 10 in the league just based on average. Still pretty vague and subjective.

Go play some straight pool, bowlliards, or any other game to give an idea of your skill level. Pick one you like and stick with it - forever ;)

Unfortunately, without knowing your skill level it would be hard to determine why you're having a hard time going from one table to another. It's possible you simply don't have the experience or it's also possible you are at a level where table differences start to make a difference, I'm betting it's the latter.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just picked up a valley cue ball and have noticed a massive difference already. I guess I've overlooked how extremely different both cb's play.
I'm aghast I missed that! Most of the places I play use the green logo magnetic. I bought one to practice with.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I played 2 games with a heavy/weighted one on super super slow cloth last night. I got onto it, but now I can't hit a shot with a regular CB. Gotta knock some balls around and get the feel of a real cb back.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

You're close enough to me to make an easy sale.

You game will go up to a HUGE level and your new cue will hit a TON, but only if you sell your table to me and only me.

Oz has spoken.

Jeff Livingston

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're close enough to me to make an easy sale.

You game will go up to a HUGE level and your new cue will hit a TON, but only if you sell your table to me and only me.

Oz has spoken.

Jeff Livingston
Ha, I appreciate the interest but I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Just going to bench it for a bit. I have a line on a valley that I could break even on so I may experiment.

DeeDeeCues

I don't like diamond tables. They bank oddly, I think they are pretty ugly.

That said, I would never buy a valley table.

I had some of my best league nights On diamond tables.

If I had your problem I would work on reducing mental hurdles. If you go in thinking about the valley being different and those differences being a detriment, then your play will suffer. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a valley with tight pockets but I never practiced at home before leagues. it’s not going to play the same as whatever table your playing on that night so your not helping yourself at lol.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased a Valley last year during lockdown after not having a table or picking up a cue for 15 yrs. It has Simonis cloth,Penguin or Ridgeback rails(can't remember which) and 4.5 in corner pockets. The coin mechanism obviously had been removed and we just leave the section that allows us access to the ball return off allowing us to use either a Red circle or Measles cue ball. Diamond just isn't in the budget at the moment so this setup is as close as I can get.(kinda, sorta)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Ha, I appreciate the interest but I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. Just going to bench it for a bit. I have a line on a valley that I could break even on so I may experiment.

OK, don't worry about MY needs.:cry:

...another Thanksgiving ruined by the world....woe is me.

Jeff Livingston