Urban Myth or True Story

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read this story on RSB many, many moons ago and have sinced searched for it to no avail, maybe someone will remember more details.

There was a player in his prime...I remember it being Filipino Gene...but I asked Poker Paul about this story and he said if it had been Gene, he would know about it and he never heard of it....so a player in his prime plays a young gun....a race to seven for a good pile of beans.

The young gun breaks and runs six games and comes up dry on the break in the seventh game, the older player, not wanting to let him shoot again, three fouls him seven games in a row and wins the match.

This was posted on RSB as a recent action report and I think it was probably about ten years ago.

Anyone remember this story? My memory is foggy but I thought it was Filipino Gene and either Ginky or Breedlove and I thought it took place in New York. I think all of those details are suspect now. And I've used those to search RSB and didn't find the post I was looking for.

Cheers,
RC
 
I'd find this very hard to believe. Even one 3-foul victory is very rare at the Pro level, especially with jump cues these days.

Now it is perfectly possibly he safed him 7 times in a row to throw him off his rhythm.
 
sixpack said:
The young gun breaks and runs six games and comes up dry on the break in the seventh game, the older player, not wanting to let him shoot again, three fouls him seven games in a row and wins the match.
Cheers,
RC


It has all the earmarks of another FL lie.....
Doug
( I'm guessing Urban Legend )
 
Fart sniffer said:
Gene in NY? That's a long way for him to travel.

I am almost surely wrong about it being Gene. I noted that because I thought it might spark someone's memory.

It was posted as fact on RSB, but I can't find the original post.

Cheers,
RC
 
Smorgass Bored said:
It has all the earmarks of another FL lie.....
Doug
( I'm guessing Urban Legend )

What are you doubting what FL says. I've heard he once 3-safed a guy 7 racks in a row while going 11 rails on each and every shot. FL can do anything. :rolleyes:
 
sixpack said:
... Filipino Gene...... The young gun breaks and runs six games and comes up dry on the break in the seventh game, the older player, not wanting to let him shoot again, three fouls him seven games in a row and wins the match.
...
Leon Waki did post a comment about Filipino Gene three-fouling a player on five straight games, but it was in an NPL or USPPA match, and Gene was giving up 5-2 on the wire. Perhaps 6 years ago, IIRC. Google, google, google, ...

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q="filipino+gene"+angered

It was a little over ten years ago. The "weak" player was getting 5-2 as I remembered, but he ran the first rack, and then Gene started his safety play.
 
Bob Jewett said:
Leon Waki did post a comment about Filipino Gene three-fouling a player on five straight games, but it was in an NPL or USPPA match, and Gene was giving up 5-2 on the wire. Perhaps 6 years ago, IIRC. Google, google, google, ...

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q="filipino+gene"+angered

It was a little over ten years ago. The "weak" player was getting 5-2 as I remembered, but he ran the first rack, and then Gene started his safety play.

Thanks Bob. I found that post when I was searching and it could be the same event as one I remember, although the telling of it was decidedly different.

I could see how that story could be couched in such a way as to be the one I remembered....

i.e. Filipino Gene was playing a local young gun in the tournament, the young gun breaks and runs to the hill and then Gene 3-fouled him 5 games in a row to win the set.

I could see where I would have put other things together in my head and got it distorted over time.

p.s. This was before the days of Fast Larry. I know this simply by virtue that I was still reading RSB at that time.

Cheers,
RC
 
Back
Top