US Open 9-Ball -- info on early events?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave White was a good player also. I believe he lived behind Q Masters some time ago...
Screenshot_20211012-183108.png

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've checked the NBN and couldn't find anything. (I have paper copies.) I think the big news then was the players forming the PPPA and the dueling BCA/PPPA events.

For the Rempe item, it appears that Behrman had invitationals in April for fewer players. I have seen no results from those. The October/November event was 16 players or so at the start.

In about October 1975, Behrman moved from somewhere to the location listed above on Sewells Point Road in Norfolk. An item in ABR said he had only two tables in the tournament room. It also said he was planning on having a tournament shortly. I suppose Sigel may have won it. Does anyone know when Q-Master moved to the current location in Virginia Beach? (5612 Princess Anne Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23462)
When i first started to go to the US Open, there were 3 QMasters, one on Sewells in Norfolk, the current Q Masters and a third one i cant recall where but all 3 where shown in the Open Program along with directions to the rooms-so it wasn't a 'moving' thing-They co existed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ray Trivette is probably a typo. "Roy" Trivett was the real players name. Red Hicks and Roy were arch rivals in Virginia. Roy was related to Seattle Sam...
Thanks for the info. There were some other typos as well.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When i first started to go to the US Open, there were 3 QMasters, one on Sewells in Norfolk, the current Q Masters and a third one i cant recall where but all 3 where shown in the Open Program along with directions to the rooms-so it wasn't a 'moving' thing-They co existed.

The Sewells Point location was an absolute hoot of a place to be.

Keith

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I also do not know the score of the final match in some other years: 1979 (both events)-1982, 1984, and 1987-1990.
The data my friend and myself were able to gather has first scoreline for the final match appearing at 1990. And it says, 11-10 Varner over Sigel

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had pretty good luck getting info out of the National Billiard News. Here is the tournament chart derived from the results for 1982 that Barry Behrman sent in. Orthography seems not to have been part of the deal. It sort of looks like the mistakes are due to the info being spoken over a telephone. "Lumpy" Lassiter? A name you probably can't read on the chart is Tony Giawmmentteo. What are the chances?
CropperCapture[796].png

CropperCapture[797].png

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really cool to see the bracket with all the individual match results! Does that exist for other US Opens as well?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And Mike Seidel?
I'm pretty sure that's the correct spelling or at least it's not Sigel. Seidel seems to have been a player and promoter at about that time. Maybe from Florida. If Sigel had been there, he would have been mentioned in Behrman's write up and he wasn't.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that's the correct spelling or at least it's not Sigel. Seidel seems to have been a player and promoter at about that time. Maybe from Florida. If Sigel had been there, he would have been mentioned in Behrman's write up and he wasn't.
Strange that Sigel did not enter in '82. He was 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd in '80, '81, '83, '84 (if my info is correct).

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
many of the players in tournaments used to misspell their name or use the road name to avoid the taxman.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Strange that Sigel did not enter in '82. He was 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd in '80, '81, '83, '84 (if my info is correct).
Here are the winners/runners-up in the first seven events, which is as far as I've gotten:

Oct 1976 --- Mike Sigel 11 -- 1 Pete Margo
May 1978 -- Allen Hopkins 15 -- 11 Steve Mizerak
Jan 1979 --- Louie Roberts 15 -- 11 David Howard
Oct 1979 --- Steve Mizerak 11 -- 10 JIm Rempe
Oct 1980 --- Mike Sigel 11 -- 7 Ray Martin
Dec 1981 --- Allen Hopkins 11 -- 6 Mike Sigel
Nov 1982 --- David Howard 10 -- 4 Mike Zuglan
Edit, added:
Dec 1983 -- Mike Sigel 11 -- 10 David Howard
Nov 1984 -- Earl Strickland 11 -- 10 Mike Sigel
Nov 1985 -- Jimmy Reid 11 -- 5 Mike LeBron
Nov 1986 -- David Howard 11 -- 9 Allen Hopkins
Nov 1987 -- Earl Strickland 11 -- 7 Jim Rempe
Nov 1988 -- Mike LeBron ?? -- ?? Nick Varner

The first eight events were at 6214 Sewells Point Road in Norfolk. That location expanded to include the numbers 6208-6218 Sewells Point Road. In 1984 the event was at the nearby Quality Inn Lake Wright in Norfolk.

The first was not exactly called "The U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship," but it was counted for the series in later announcements.

Last edited: