US Open 9-ball updates thread..

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Your place is not to judge another persons skill in a you said it….open tournament. Who cares if lower tier players want to play, you’re saying take that money out of the tournament….in a game where the best in the US make severely mediocre amounts of money for the level of skill they have at the game. Money filters up in these things, the sponsors are a joke for the most part and you absolutely need the absolute bottom tier to be paying entry fees to feed the top tier. Your point is invalid and ridiculous in multiple facets. Also FR is a very mediocre metric to say “when”’anyone should enter a tournament on top of that.
Easy. Did I hit a nerve. I'm sorry if you feel this represents you. Every tourney has dead money. Some is deader than others.

Seeing as it's OPEN. Is their a minimum?

Easy. Did I hit a nerve. I'm sorry if you feel this represents you. Every tourney has dead money. Some is deader than others.

No you did not hit a nerve, I do not boast about myself nor disparage others skill. You did however say you’d rather all those entries not be in the tournament. So you are for the continued shrinking of the game, cool position! I understand that it is not that enjoyable most of time to watch people lose 9-2 9-0 on stream but that is a far different thing than what you said. I am on the complete opposite side of spectrum, I prefer lots of people be involved at all levels and be encouraged to do so and the tournament sizes and prizes increase because if that can happen bigger outside sponsors may take a look….having the impact of even bigger tournaments and prizes..So no I’m never going to tell anyone to stay home until your Fargo rate is better. Gate keeping is a pathetic mentality, gl with it!

Good try at taking some pot shots at me and my ability of which you know nothing about though.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
That's correct. Played in One US Open IpK event. They gave me a provisional 625 and for some reason did not report my scores. Got through 5 opponents and lost to SVB and Kiamco (Winner and 3rd place). Don't know why. My 720 is based on what others I play and some pros who have "benchmarked" me. Notice I use my full name. Nothing to hide.
I don't think Fargo includes 1P or 14.1 - there wouldn't be anything to report in that case.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
No you did not hit a nerve, I do not boast about myself nor disparage others skill. You did however say you’d rather all those entries not be in the tournament. So you are for the continued shrinking of the game, cool position! I understand that it is not that enjoyable most of time to watch people lose 9-2 9-0 on stream but that is a far different thing than what you said. I am on the complete opposite side of spectrum, I prefer lots of people be involved at all levels and be encouraged to do so and the tournament sizes and prizes increase because if that can happen bigger outside sponsors may take a look….having the impact of even bigger tournaments and prizes..So no I’m never going to tell anyone to stay home until your Fargo rate is better. Gate keeping is a pathetic mentality, gl with it!

Good try at taking some pot shots at me and my ability of which you know nothing about though.
Not taking pot shots. Your ability is your own. I didn't ask. But it does seem I hit a nerve, So how about you answer my question?

What is the limit? Anyone with a check? Regardless of ability? Don't get stuck on the work OPEN. Let's call it the what it is. US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Where the best in the world come to compete. Not Thursday and Moe's Tavern.

Not taking pot shots. Your ability is your own. I didn't ask. But it does seem I hit a nerve, So how about you answer my question?

What is the limit? Anyone with a check? Regardless of ability? Don't get stuck on the work OPEN. Let's call it the what it is. US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Where the best in the world come to compete. Not Thursday and Moe's Tavern.
Assume whatever you’d like about my emotions, but I have no emotional reaction to your clinically bad take.

Yes, change the tournament, the format, the name…maybe the game too! Then you may have some semblance of a rational argument. #nicestrawmanbro

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The televised first round matches haven't really done the game any favors. If Matchroom are trying to grow the game and get a bigger audience, showing ranked players beating up on below average league players 9-0 or 9-1 isn't going to get new viewers tuning back in. It's not necessarily the problem with the lower ranked players though. If they are going to keep the tournament as an open, it should really be a blind draw, even if it risks the top players going out earlier.

The televised first round matches haven't really done the game any favors. If Matchroom are trying to grow the game and get a bigger audience, showing ranked players beating up on below average league players 9-0 or 9-1 isn't going to get new viewers tuning back in. It's not necessarily the problem with the lower ranked players though. If they are going to keep the tournament as an open, it should really be a blind draw, even if it risks the top players going out earlier.

Ya, the rankings themselves are pretty flawed, blind draw is most fair anyways. Would make for more drama early, better streaming and view retention. The top players basically get to use the first two maybe three rounds to get the break down and the speed of the tables so they can get dialed in.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To ensure interesting matches between only top players from the start, would it not be an idea to lower the field number to 128?

Texas Open, Vegas Open, World 10 Ball, and now the US Open… From a newbie’s perspective, (less than a year playing) this is just awesome… Been following along here on AzB too… Pool is a great game with a great future… Thank you to all the producers streaming this stuff, I’m learning so much… As for Trump: shaving the 8 ball in the side while circling 6 rails around it for position… Damn… This guy will be nothing but good for pool… He may not go far this time, but that stroke looks different than everybody else… Something pure and precise about it…. I don’t know enough to analyze, but I can see the difference… I’m rooting for Oi… He‘s right there if he gets on a roll… Cheers!

Trump playing is a living marketing campaign for Matchroom's US Open and its working like an absolute charm right now. Trump has already more or less said "I'm here to have fun." Like I said before, if he and Earl manage to get on the TV table, I bet it becomes the most watched pool video on YouTube.
Trump vs Earl… Please pool gods make it so… That’s an action match I’d pay to see… Somebody put this together… I think Jason will send Trump home… I suspect he knows how to befuddle a snooker player on a pool table…

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Texas Open, Vegas Open, World 10 Ball, and now the US Open… From a newbie’s perspective, (less than a year playing) this is just awesome… Been following along here on AzB too… Pool is a great game with a great future… Thank you to all the producers streaming this stuff, I’m learning so much… As for Trump: shaving the 8 ball in the side while circling 6 rails around it for position… Damn… This guy will be nothing but good for pool… He may not go far this time, but that stroke looks different than everybody else… Something pure and precise about it…. I don’t know enough to analyze, but I can see the difference… I’m rooting for Oi… He‘s right there if he gets on a roll… Cheers!
Trump's stance and stroke are 100% pure snooker. His game surprised me to be honest, and I don't know why because I saw him play snooker a lot of times so it's not like I don't know his cue-wielding skill level. I guess 9 ball pool is really not all that more difficult to snooker if you're a world champion snooker player. But of course, like lots of people said before, this was not a very dangerous opponent. I really hope he gets deep enough so that he has to play a top poolplayer, be curious to see what he does then.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The idea of a generation of new pool players playing with those fundements makes my skin crawl.
You mean you can't stand a pool player standing at the table like a snooker player? Why is that?
I guess I don't have a real problem with that because I've seen a ton of players stand like that at the table, because snooker in Holland is played a lot more than in the US.

middleofnowhere

Registered
You mean you can't stand a pool player standing at the table like a snooker player? Why is that?
I guess I don't have a real problem with that because I've seen a ton of players stand like that at the table, because snooker in Holland is played a lot more than in the US.
I don't think it carries over to pool. I would not want new pool players learning snooker style for pool. Snooker is not played at all in the US. A snooker table is a novelty mostly used to play golf.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it carries over to pool. I would not want new pool players learning snooker style for pool. Snooker is not played at all in the US. A snooker table is a novelty mostly used to play golf.
AFAIK, snooker players stand more squarely which should help with shooting straight on those long 12' tables. And you can say what you will, but Trump shoots straight. But perhaps you're right about all the other intricacies of pool.

Yeah Holland has a lot of snooker with lots of serious players who try to employ the classic snooker stance. We're close to the UK of course so that explains the popularity.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he gets past Jayson Shaw, his confidence will zoom and then it’ll get interesting… Confidence on a pool table a potent thing… At any level…
Definitely. But let's see him get past this Patel guy first. And then the next guy. They will not be Magees.

middleofnowhere

Registered
AFAIK, snooker players stand more squarely which should help with shooting straight on those long 12' tables. And you can say what you will, but Trump shoots straight. But perhaps you're right about all the other intricacies of pool.

Yeah Holland has a lot of snooker with lots of serious players who try to employ the classic snooker stance. We're close to the UK of course so that explains the popularity.
Pool doesn't require the cinch stroke of snooker. The tables are smaller and the pockets bigger. It is a faster looser game. Many pool players literally run around the table. They don't play like robots.