US Open 9B & World 9B overlapping?

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
based on WPA's calendar, the US Open 9B will be on Oct 16-22, while World 9B in Doha, Qatar is happening Oct 17-28.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Maybe this will save Ko any competition in defending his world title or the indignity of flying to Virginia and getting his azz handed to him again.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's nice, gives an American a chance to win a local tournament while the best players compete on the world stage.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that is the case I'd imagine it's still early enough for the Open to change its date by a week or so ?

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
the US Open will most likely be finished before stage 2 of the W9B starts. this is not good news for those who will be playing in the US Open and would also have to go through the qualifiers of the W9B.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
based on WPA's calendar, the US Open 9B will be on Oct 16-22, while World 9B in Doha, Qatar is happening Oct 17-28.

Have those US Open dates been published and/or confirmed anywhere else? I hadn't seen them yet. That WPA web calendar has been iffy at times in the past. If the WPA W9B schedules like it has in the past, the stage 2 main event would start on the Saturday 10/22. Of course, the US Open has no reason to last that many days either. It is a 4 day event at most. This would be more of an issue for people playing in the US Open and traveling to the main event, rather than anything about qualifiers missing out.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Who is going to run the 2016 U.S 9 ball open? If Acc-Stat or Barry, or whoever has given those dates to the WPA, hey should have had a press release for it on AZB. Another case of free ads and sell, sell, sell threads, but give nothing when it comes to news. Johnnyt

CallShotCowboy

AZB Rose Gold
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the WC dates where put on there to protect the US Open dates.

The WC will be either September or November.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
And which country has the highest per-capita income in the world?
Touché.

But seriously Badi Nazhat, a man with passion for pool and class has run several events the world over where he hired amateur racking refs. You may have heard of ultimate 10-ball. He really put on a great tournament. If this man was running it I think it would be a positive change.

I'm seriously just jealous that a world event may be stepping on our toes, but why not ?

There have been multiple issues for years with the U.S. Open. After last year's great field I was hoping a positive turn might be in the future.

I'm just sour.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
latest news from WPA, so no worries

"New Event

Dear All

Please be advised that we have reached an agreement with people in Kuwait to host the Kuwait 9-Ball Open for men, 6 - 17 September 2016. This event will be a WPA Ranking event for a field of 128 players and will offer US $275,000 prize money. It is hoped that the event will run back-to-back with the men’s 9-Ball World Championship in Qatar (19 - 30 Sep proposed) which would be of great benefit for the players, especially the international ones, who could play in two big events for not much more than the regular price of one air ticket. More details will be announced soon.

Regards - Ian Anderson"

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
latest news from WPA, so no worries

"New Event

Dear All

Please be advised that we have reached an agreement with people in Kuwait to host the Kuwait 9-Ball Open for men, 6 - 17 September 2016. This event will be a WPA Ranking event for a field of 128 players and will offer US $275,000 prize money. It is hoped that the event will run back-to-back with the men’s 9-Ball World Championship in Qatar (19 - 30 Sep proposed) which would be of great benefit for the players, especially the international ones, who could play in two big events for not much more than the regular price of one air ticket. More details will be announced soon.

Regards - Ian Anderson"

Ok, so maybe Ian can update his site's calendar if it is true that "men’s 9-Ball World Championship in Qatar (19 - 30 Sep proposed) ".

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think the WC dates where put on there to protect the US Open dates.

The WC will be either September or November.

Pretty strong assessment..... With Barry's current condition I don't think there could have been dates formally submitted and there sure as heck couldn't have been enough information for a press release.. Things are more than likely in the pre-planning stage of what ifs.......