US Open aiming system

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's amazing .
They still bend over and check the contact point of the 9-ball when it's not a routine shot .

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can look at the contact point and still use gearing to aim the shot. But it seems you just can’t quite understand that.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well truth is I would think a Top Pool Pro does most of what they do from mussel memory, or repetitive practice.

What amateurs think is small unimporatant details.

Friend was P-51 Mustang Fighter Pilot in WW-2, he said most dog fights came down to life or death over who made first little mistake in fight.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They still bend over and check the contact point of the 9-ball when it's not a routine shot .
" Pros don't look at the contact point or ghost ball.
They are gearing. "
These ideas, checking the contact point and gearing are not mutually exclusive, they are connected.
But the comment has a truth kernel, once you choose a gearing english line, the ghost ball and contact points are only distractions.
All focus needs to be on straight cueing on the gearing line.

I watch all matches looking at cueing related to the center ball reference.
The US Open players used a lot of gearing english, and sometimes more than gearing, guarding against a fat hit.
Of course, positional needs determine shot choices and vertical height contact controls the angle off first contact into the rail.
The other tactic designed to minimize throw is speed and they rarely baby the game ball.
Gearing was especially prevalent on game ball cut shots.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Step 1: See the shot
Step 2: Shoot the shot
Step 3: Profit

Why does it matter how step 1 is accomplished. This thread is weak b8.

bait6.jpg

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact points ARE the shot. Guestimating your shooting might be a necessity. (I'm not convinced) Guestimating the shot itself is close to stupid.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Contact points ARE the shot. Guestimating your shooting might be a necessity. (I'm not convinced) Guestimating the shot itself is close to stupid.
Don't kid yourself, what ever your doing is guestimating. Back and forth we go with the eyes.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
If someone s really *looking* at the contact point- or if he just trying to burn in the "shot picture". Who cares. ( ok, stupid, lol-- many care about it^^)

Imo the player who s able to start each shot using the same perspective as he did thousands of times in practice will take the most fruits out of it. NO matter if he s using overlap stuff, contact to contact, or any other cite or 90/90 variation.

Perspective is everything. And the ability to move Whitey from A to B is extremely helpful. And the thin end of the cue to the front is also often helpful.
Practice, trust yourself- and let the eyes lead you.