USBA support for the game...where are you?

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
I wonder if the USBA could sponsor local tournaments by giving away a free memebership, as a prize for one of the participants. Seems like this would cost the USBA organization basically nothing. With the result being more exposure for the USBA, and possible increased participation in USBA sanctioned tournaments. Magazines do this type of promotion all the time, giving the magazine away, and if you like it, you'll continue to subscribe. Since there isn't any money in it for the USBA though, I'm sure they couldn't condsider such an idea.......
 
Yes, thanks for the posting on the other forum. You are right of course, I will likely be long dead before these folks get together and do something. In the meantime, I'll keep forging ahead on my own along with all the other independent tournament holders around the country.
 
Hi Jamie,

I apologize for not responding. After working on helping to run the Olhausen USBA Tournament last weekend, I wanted to take a couple days rest.

I can't speak for the rest of the board, but I see no reason why we can't help you. We have been working on a program specifically designed for regional and local tournaments like yours. It has not been finalized.

I want to see your hard work and dedication to promoting 3C utilized and the USBA being a partner to help you promote your tournaments.

I am emailing this to Bruce and Jim as we speak.

Thanks,

Steve Andersen
USBA Midwest Director
 
Steve,
Thank you for your response. I will look forward to hearing about the boards proposals.
 
Jamie, I too apologize for not responding to you earlier. And I too applaud your efforts at promoting 3-cushion through your local tournaments.

The question of how the USBA can help organizers of local tournaments is an important one. And there is probably sentiment on the Board for wanting to provide some form of help. But whether and how the USBA is able to do this is the question.

The USBA has extremely limited financial resources. As things stand it is difficult or impossible for the USBA to fund all the various activities in which it does or should participate, even without supporting local tournaments. So it is difficult if not impossible for the USBA to add any expenses or decrease its limited revenues. I know your idea for the USBA to give away free memberships for your tournaments seems at first blush to not be a financial burden and may attract some players who continue their memberships after getting the free one, and I am sure we could give away a few memberships each year. But if we did that for your tournaments that would mean giving away one per month just for those tournaments. And if we did it for your tournaments, we would feel obliged to do the same thing for other local tournament organizers. You probably know that there are numerous local tournaments held around the country each year. Just to give you one example, there is a room in the Los Angeles area that runs three each week, and there are other rooms in the Los Angeles/Orange County, California area that run several each month. I believe the same can be said for other areas where there is a concentration of carom billiard players. So giving away USBA memberships for local tournaments could easily lead to a significant loss of sorely needed revenue for the USBA. Maybe there is a way to do this by substantially limiting the number of free memberships given away around the country, but then there is the question of how to fairly allocate those few free memberships among the various local tournament organizers. And if only a few free memberships are given away, will that be enough to provide the desired level of support? Also, FYI each membership that is given away would actually cost the USBA about $10 which is what it annually spends per member for mailings, membership materials, etc.

Having said this, I hope all of us will continue this discussion. If there is a reasonable way that makes sense for the USBA to support local tournaments let’s try to put our heads together and figure it out.
[/B]
 
As Someone in Calif. Said "I Be Back". Will return to answer some on this Thread, but just starting to get fit


images.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here a person asking a simple request to help make his tournament a little better. Same as USBA does Donation request, raffle request,and somtime want Live Streaming. Oh, and those that does give get nothing in return except the standard "I don't have the money" or extremely limited financial resources. Maybe a saying It good for the sport. I won't go to far at present on this subject.

But look at what WPBA is doing to help their cause

http://www.wpba.com/tournaments/2010-atlanta-classic.html

http://www.wpba.com/

ThinK! THINK ! THink

More to Come

http://www.wpba.com/wpba-membership-program.html
 
Bruce,
As a starting point, just do what you can. If you can't send a package to every tournament, then just start with a few. Send me a packet ever other month. Three times a year. Whatever, it would be better than the nothing, that we get now. Essentially, all the independent tournaments are not promoting the USBA in any manner. Why? beacuse the USBA doesn't even care to talk to any of them. Even this little bit of "sponsorship" would more than likely cause the tournament directors to at least mention you as a sponsor, and would probably be happy to show promotional materials. However, no one is going to go out of their way to promote the USBA, or any other organization. Unless, you're supporting them somehow. LIke I said it doesn't have to be huge. Just something to put you on the map with these folks. Many of whom probably don't know you exist.
 
Back
Top