Vegas bound... Need a to do list for this pool Mecca!

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm headed to vegas on the weekend of jan 9, I know of Lv cue club.

Anyone know any events or spots to hit for pool? I know there is more to see than I have time, so what would you do given only 2 nights.
 
2 nights in Vegas? NOTHING pool related (unless it's summer - then I'd recommend spending some time at a pool during the day). Make sure you have at least 2 world class meals, and be prepared to fork over BIG BUCKS to do it...it is worth it. Other than that, do touristy stuff (check out Fremont street at night, go up in the Stratosphere, Mandalay Bays aquarium, check out the fountains at Ceasars and Bilaggio, etc etc etc.), recommendations abound online and in brochures....HAVE FUN!!
 
I've been to vegas 5 or 6 times, I've seen the regular sights and eaten the meals... I've just never played pool there, so im looking for advice in that area. I can assure you I will be indulging in all that vegas has to offer.
 
My advice is to stay away from any 3 card monte games out on the sidewalk. (duh) The guy winning with the 100's BR is a shill. :cool:
 
you're lucky, the last time I was there - all I did was play pool (and it was for 6 straight days)....yuck!
 
Mickey's is a nice room with Diamond Pro-Am 9 and 7 footers and some Gold Crowns.

In my experience of living here for a couple months there is really nothing extraordinary going on when a big event is not happening.
 
trustyrusty said:
you're lucky, the last time I was there - all I did was play pool (and it was for 6 straight days)....yuck!

That's a bad thing? Sounds good to me!:smile:
 
chilli66 said:
That's a bad thing? Sounds good to me!:smile:

6 hours MAYBE - 6 days, no freakin' way. In one of the funnest towns in the whole world, and was stuck in one casino (the Riviera at that) for almost all of the 6 days. Never again.
 
trustyrusty said:
6 hours MAYBE - 6 days, no freakin' way. In one of the funnest towns in the whole world, and was stuck in one casino (the Riviera at that) for almost all of the 6 days. Never again.

I see your point but I'd still be happy doing it! Hell, I've only been to Vegas once & that was for all of 8 hours so I do need to go back. Those were 8 great hours though, impressive place!
 
Pool Mecca??? Its amazing the perception people have of Vegas, Vegas is horrible for pool, enjoy he strip. If you do go play pool there are average rooms with bad action at best. I been here since 91, its a Mecca for league players-if your a league player. Enjoy Vegas for what it is a gambling/hotel/enterainment/expensive resteraunt Mecca.

Sorry to burst your bubble but gotta "Keep it real":)
 
trustyrusty said:
and was stuck in one casino (the Riviera at that) for almost all of the 6 days. Never again.

God bless you.

it is Hell here, it really is. Glad you realized that so soon. I'm gone soon as I can sell off a few propertys, its been good to me but I want out, I leave often as possible.
 
Chase,

If you just want to watch some excellent pool players, Pool Sharks on South Decatur near Spring Mountain hosts a National Championship Series Eight Ball event January 10 and 11. Friday night there's a bar box event at Dealers Choice around the corner on Spring Mountain. Always a good field. If you're looking for a game or two, ask for "Thumbs" at Pool Sharks. He'll set you up. Mickey's on South Eastern and Warm Springs is much cleaner and has a "higher" quality clientele than The Cue Club. I strongly suggest staying away from Crystal Palace Billiards (if its open) on East Bonanza at North Maryland. Rumrunner on East Tropicana and Spencer may have something going on. Bar Boxes only. Want a great Italian dinner at reasonable prices, walk across Spencer to Carluccio's Tivoli Gardens.

Lyn
 
thanks guys for all the advice, I was really under the impression that Las Vegas was one of the most important cities in the world for pool, given all the huge tournaments and TV events. I figured there must be at least a few pros who choose to live in Vegas, perhaps I was wrong.

My main goal is to clean up at Bellagio poker room and clean out a few buffets.
 
fd_colorado said:
My advice is to stay away from any 3 card monte games out on the sidewalk. (duh) The guy winning with the 100's BR is a shill. :cool:


You are knocking my action and it is not appreciated.:cool:
 
Da Bank said:
I'm headed to vegas on the weekend of jan 9, I know of Lv cue club.

Anyone know any events or spots to hit for pool? I know there is more to see than I have time, so what would you do given only 2 nights.

Vegas is not a great pool town by any means. Way better things to do their than going to pool halls. The only place I would consider a pool Mecca these days is Manilla.
 
Tourists

Da Bank said:
I'm headed to vegas on the weekend of jan 9, I know of Lv cue club.

Anyone know any events or spots to hit for pool? I know there is more to see than I have time, so what would you do given only 2 nights.

The only reason (IMO) that vegas is used for all the big tournaments is space and activities. There are more than enough hotels and large rooms for the players and plenty to do when you aren't playing.

You can always play pool...don't go there to play pool.

Do something you can't do in the DFW area. For example (this is based on what I heard, not from personal experience) you could take one of those baseball cards the hispanic people are passing out along the strip (Collect all 52 and win a prize). Choose a girl and call her up. When she arrives at your door she'll look nothing like the girl on the card and she will delight in telling you that she normally starts out at $1000 per hour.

Have fun Chase :thumbup:
 
:) Sorry, I have to disagree...there are a lot of weekly tournaments here in Vegas, plus monthlies with up to $500 added somewhere here. I've lived all over the country, LV is not a hole. There are several real good players and some action...not like down south...but not necessarily the derge made out to be. A good weekly tourney source is a magazine called Cues News and Brews. PM if you want more info.
 
Back
Top