Vegas trip and carry-ons

lawful777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Planning on a trip to Vegas for the VNEA tournament in May. First time and I have a couple questions.

First, how do you get your cues out there? We would be flying and I don't know if the airlines consider your case as a carry-on or not.

Second, I would be playing in the 9ball regular division on Thurs. am. How do they group the field. I am an 8 handicap now. Do I play other 8's or how does that work.

Lastly, we would be staying right at Bally's and I was wondering if anyone had some tips to make the trip go smoother. Again, never been out there but always have dreamed of it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Get ready for a great time ...When i go down i ship my cues with fedex right to the hotel i live in Toronto and it will cost me $70.00 next day delivery , you cannot bring your cues on the plane as a carry on but if they fit put them in your suit case.
 
Lawful777,

Send your case AND cues ahead via USPS or Fedex and travel with only a carry-on.

- Get a delivery conformation/tracking number and have a signature required (at the hotel)
- Call the hotel ahead of time and let the front desk know a package is coming for you
- Send the package out early enough so that it arrives the day you check into the hotel

A fully loaded 2x4 case, USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) from NY to Las Vegas, including delivery conformation, set me back about $15 ($30 round trip). A small price to pay when you consider that :
A) You can insure the package for what you feel it's worth (unlike the airlines where you have to prove what was in the suitcase).
B) It's going to get there and require a signature (unlike the airlines where if it's lost, the only recourse you have is to hope it shows up). IF the package disappears at the hotel, you've got proof that it arrived, and have a recourse for reimbursment. Ever try to get an airline to pay for a missing bag ?
C) Even if it costs a few more bucks, throw some of your clothes in the box with your case. That's fewer clothes you have to take in your carry-on.

Right off the bat, you're saving money. Check into the difference between what shipping it ahead will cost against checking it at the airport. $25 per checked bag seems to be the minimum, and it only goes up from there. For about $5 more, if you do it my way, you're traveling much lighter.

And the best part ? Now, because you're traveling with only that carry-on (and no checked baggage), your options open up a lot more. You can take an earlier connection if it's available, or get voluntarily bumped (because now the airline doesn't have to worry about your luggage).
You can breeze right by the luggage carousel and get a cab before anybody else.

The first time I did this, it made traveling SO much easier. The worry of "Are my cues gonna be there when I get off the plane ?" is non-existent, and I could actually enjoy the experience of traveling.

I love to travel as much as the next person, but I hate hauling luggage around. Give me a carry-on any day of the week. I'll ship the rest ahead.

Then it just becomes a matter of POLITELY talking to the right people.

The key ingredient here is that you call the hotel the day your package is expected to arrive (hopefully the same day as you). Theoretically, you're calling before you even leave for the airport. Alert them, POLITELY, that your cues are en route, and should be arriving that day.
Doesn't matter if it's a hotel in Las Vegas, Derby City, or Cucamonga. Call ahead to confirm the delivery. Try to talk to the same person throughout, because :
A) That person you spoke with on the phone earlier is either going to meet the delivery truck themselves that day, or has already delegated someone to insure that your package is waiting for you upon your arrival.
B) During your check in, make sure your package has arrived (tell the desk clerk who you've been dealing with via phone). Odds are good that the person on the phone will have your cues, and will want to introduce themselves. This is your opportunity to personally thank them for thier diligence. You now have a contact at the hotel.

As far as the hotel staff is concerned, better to make a good impression and have your cues waiting for you when you check in, than it is if your cues are MIA, especially if someone at the hotel signed for them.

In the unlikely event your cues aren't waiting for you at the hotel's front desk or Business Center, that person you were on the phone with earlier will help you track them down without batting an eye.
Believe me, the hotel WANTS to have your cues waiting for you. It's thier job to make sure your experience is a pleasant one.
And your forewarning them that your cues are coming gives them NO room for error.

Good luck...
 
Return trip

Thanks for all the great info.....One question I thought of though was how to send them back from there? It would be tough on departure day to scramble around trying to find a post office or UPS to ship back here....any thoughts? Thanks again for everything!
 
Thanks for all the great info.....One question I thought of though was how to send them back from there? It would be tough on departure day to scramble around trying to find a post office or UPS to ship back here....any thoughts? Thanks again for everything!

There's a Business Center between Bally's and Paris. The desk staff at Bally's can give you much better directions than I could on here.

Save the box you used to ship it out there. Just pull off the "Las Vegas" ship to tags, and put your home address on instead.

Fairly decent hours, if I remember correctly. Last time I was out there, I think they opened at 7am (on the weekdays) and stayed open until 6pm. I don't recall the weekend hours, though.

Have a good time out there...
 
Last edited:
Viva las vegas

Planning on a trip to Vegas for the VNEA tournament in May. First time and I have a couple questions.

First, how do you get your cues out there? We would be flying and I don't know if the airlines consider your case as a carry-on or not.

Second, I would be playing in the 9ball regular division on Thurs. am. How do they group the field. I am an 8 handicap now. Do I play other 8's or how does that work.

Lastly, we would be staying right at Bally's and I was wondering if anyone had some tips to make the trip go smoother. Again, never been out there but always have dreamed of it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
. Most airlines don't allow cues as carry on, however you can pack cue in checked luggage and carry on your case. Remove all tools from case just to be safe. Take a cab EVERYWHERE you go!!!
 
Starts on Friday

bump....thanks

9-ball statrs on Friday morning, and the computer does a draw. I believe there are 32 players to a chart, {and there are NO handicaps used} and you have to make it to the final 4 of the chart to go to the main board. Check on Southwest for your airline tickets. They allow 2 bags with no charge, plus a carry on. We go for the whole thing every year, and I can't imagine only taking the carry on. The ticket price was about $20 higher than the other airlines I checked last year, but cheaper after luggage charges.

The tourney room at Riviera was always cold to me, so I had long pants and long sleeve shirts. Shorts and T's for outside. Shipping the cues, is a good idea, and I might do that this year. I usually put mine in a golf bag and check them, case and all.

As for the hotel, being it's the first year, I will go out on a limb here. You have the option to book the hotel thru VNEA, and it was always around $79 a nite. At the Riv. you could book it thru the hotel, join the slot club {if you plan to gamble} and get a discounted room, and sometimes comped if you gamble much. Last year I paid about $60 total for a 5 nite stay. Check on pricing directly thru the slot club first.

If you're only playing singles, they do the awards banquet on Monday nite, out in the parking lot. Free draft beer, fireworks, live music and dancing. Its a great party, so plan to stay if possible.
 
I am forced to ship things to hotels more than I would like and every time I do it it gives me the willys. There are myriad ways things can get lost in a big hotel after it is delivered. I have experienced a few of them.

If you are dead set on shipping your cues I would recommend shipping them via Fed Ex Express to a Fed Ex store in here in Vegas. There is one on Paradise and Flamingo that is on your way to Bally's from the airport. If you ship Express the Fed Ex store will hold your package for you. Just have the cab take Paradise towards Bally's and stop off at the Fed Ex store as soon as you cross Flamingo. Ship the cue the day before you leave.

If you ship to the hotel any insurance you have is gone once it is in the hotels custody. If someone in a mail room or front desk walks off with your stuff or gives it to the wrong guy you are SOL. Fed Ex is responsible until you sign for it at the store and your insurance is good until the package is in your hands.

Personally I fly with my cues in the bottom of a large rolling duffel that I check and so far I have had no problems.
 
Lawful777,

Send your case AND cues ahead via USPS or Fedex and travel with only a carry-on.

- Get a delivery conformation/tracking number and have a signature required (at the hotel)
- Call the hotel ahead of time and let the front desk know a package is coming for you
- Send the package out early enough so that it arrives the day you check into the hotel

A fully loaded 2x4 case, USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days) from NY to Las Vegas, including delivery conformation, set me back about $15 ($30 round trip). A small price to pay when you consider that :
A) You can insure the package for what you feel it's worth (unlike the airlines where you have to prove what was in the suitcase).
B) It's going to get there and require a signature (unlike the airlines where if it's lost, the only recourse you have is to hope it shows up). IF the package disappears at the hotel, you've got proof that it arrived, and have a recourse for reimbursment. Ever try to get an airline to pay for a missing bag ?
C) Even if it costs a few more bucks, throw some of your clothes in the box with your case. That's fewer clothes you have to take in your carry-on.

Right off the bat, you're saving money. Check into the difference between what shipping it ahead will cost against checking it at the airport. $25 per checked bag seems to be the minimum, and it only goes up from there. For about $5 more, if you do it my way, you're traveling much lighter.

And the best part ? Now, because you're traveling with only that carry-on (and no checked baggage), your options open up a lot more. You can take an earlier connection if it's available, or get voluntarily bumped (because now the airline doesn't have to worry about your luggage).
You can breeze right by the luggage carousel and get a cab before anybody else.

The first time I did this, it made traveling SO much easier. The worry of "Are my cues gonna be there when I get off the plane ?" is non-existent, and I could actually enjoy the experience of traveling.

I love to travel as much as the next person, but I hate hauling luggage around. Give me a carry-on any day of the week. I'll ship the rest ahead.

Then it just becomes a matter of POLITELY talking to the right people.

The key ingredient here is that you call the hotel the day your package is expected to arrive (hopefully the same day as you). Theoretically, you're calling before you even leave for the airport. Alert them, POLITELY, that your cues are en route, and should be arriving that day.
Doesn't matter if it's a hotel in Las Vegas, Derby City, or Cucamonga. Call ahead to confirm the delivery. Try to talk to the same person throughout, because :
A) That person you spoke with on the phone earlier is either going to meet the delivery truck themselves that day, or has already delegated someone to insure that your package is waiting for you upon your arrival.
B) During your check in, make sure your package has arrived (tell the desk clerk who you've been dealing with via phone). Odds are good that the person on the phone will have your cues, and will want to introduce themselves. This is your opportunity to personally thank them for thier diligence. You now have a contact at the hotel.

As far as the hotel staff is concerned, better to make a good impression and have your cues waiting for you when you check in, than it is if your cues are MIA, especially if someone at the hotel signed for them.

In the unlikely event your cues aren't waiting for you at the hotel's front desk or Business Center, that person you were on the phone with earlier will help you track them down without batting an eye.
Believe me, the hotel WANTS to have your cues waiting for you. It's thier job to make sure your experience is a pleasant one.
And your forewarning them that your cues are coming gives them NO room for error.

Good luck...


thats good advice,
 
Bump for more opinions...I will be traveling with a few people in April to the Riviera and looking for suggestions. Sounds like there are pros and cons with shipping directly to the hotel vs the Fedex outlet. Anyone have bad luck with shipping directly to the hotel? Am I correct, according to Justin that once it arrives there you are SOL if it gets lost? Is there a outlet close to the Riviera to ship it to?
 
A couple of more questions...

Does anyone know if the Fed Ex outlet will charge for holding the package for a day? If we ship ground it looks like 3-4 days so I will probably ship on Saturday since we are arriving on Wednesday afternoon.

It looks like the Fed Ex at 3150 Paradise Road is only a bit more then a half mile from the Riv. Does this sound about right?

If there the insurance expires once it gets to the hotel (which makes sense since it is not in Fed Ex's possession anymore), I would lean toward this route.
 
I travel a lot and know that airlines allow pool cues as carry on items. It is TSA that does not let them through security. I have been in contact with TSA about this, but those bureaucrats have no desire to change their policy.

I would ship to the Fed Ex location as well.
 
bump....any more discussion on this before I plan on shipping cues. Does anyone have any luck placing them in your luggage?

Lastly what skill levels play in the Regular division at the VNEA event?

Thanks
 
Back
Top