Video of 99 Ball Run

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Video is currently uploading, kind of curious to see it myself, as I don't remember much except the table light hurt my eyes and I had to take a migraine pill, and that I seemingly kept slowing down (truly sorry about it, but still have a headache now…). It's really too bad considering I only get to do this once every couple of weeks or so, could have been a nice run, but the good people at the pool hall kept distracting me, thank goodness I'm not paying for table time! :p

A bit bummed by how the run ended, video evidence that I'm apparently not shark-proof when not well, getting out of line twice in a row, then missing the stack altogether on the wide side, which I probably couldn't repeat if I tried… :rolleyes:

Even so, I'm sure there's some stuff in there that might be worth discussing, looking forward to learning something watching it myself:

https://youtu.be/ftKJTABtrhg

Used the triple vacuum suction cup mount on the adjacent window as recommended to me in an earlier thread, works great, thanks so much! :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
says video is private ?

Still uploading, very slow, or possibly got interrupted when I was asleep. I'll post in this thread when it's up. Sorry for the wait, and thanks for having a look in the first place!

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
says video is private ?

Uploaded now, let me know if the link still doesn't work. Sorry to say YT shut off the sound, perhaps because there's music in the background (it's a pool hall, after all). Spares me an excuse for the swear word at the end… :wink:

A bit painful to watch towards the end - to me anyway: maybe I shouldn't even practice when I have a migraine, or at least not upload videos thereof, although it offers plenty of opportunity (coughing slightly) to think along (harrumph). :boring2:

As I suspected, I not only hit the second-to-last shot too full, there was a skid/bad contact on top of it, so I really almost missed, plus it changed the direction and speed of the cue ball to where I ended up almost straight-in on the last break shot - of which I managed to make more than the most of… :rolleyes:

The subsequent shot (the attempted bank on the 4 out of the stack is further evidence to how sticky the balls were - not saying it would have gone in otherwise, but the amount of throw the cue ball and friction (spin) the adjacent ball (the 2) transferred onto the 4 looks disproportional even on video.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run. You play a controlled finesse game.

I noticed you put the cue slightly under the left of your chin. Is that something you have always done or did you develop it over time?

What kind of a cue do you use and what tip?

Nice run, thanks for posting the video.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Nice run. You play a controlled finesse game.

I noticed you put the cue slightly under the left of your chin. Is that something you have always done or did you develop it over time?

What kind of a cue do you use and what tip?

Nice run, thanks for posting the video.

Thank you for your kind words! Should mention perhaps that I (my game) dates back to an era when we still played on slow, thick wool cloth - a "finesse game" wasn't so much a matter of choice back then, balls wouldn't open up more no matter what one did to them…

What you're noticing is something I developed over time, due to deteriorating eyesight I guess, as I used to have the cue right under my chin (between my eyes) when I was still young. I'm really wearing glasses, or should, when not playing, and take them off for the purpose. Tried to play with special-made glasses, couldn't do it, balls are bigger and pockets smaller (joking - everything looks bigger, admittedly the advantage is I can read the numbers on the balls when I'm wearing my glasses, although by now I know which is which…). My right eye is dominant, but vision blurry, whereas it used to be my better eye some decades ago. It does look a bit a bit strange, can't deny it…

The cue in this video is a 1991 Jerry Franklin Southwest with a Tom Hay Ultraskin Medium layered tip, occasionally, where I couldn't reach otherwise, using the cue used in the earlier video you commented on, a 2011 Mike Lambros with an Ultraskin Pro (Soft) layered tip. The Southwest is considerably heavier at 19.65 to 20 ounces, compared to the Lambros that ranges between 18.75 and 19.15, depending on the shaft(s) used. The Lambros comes with a 6-inch extension, which I find most convenient, being only 5 feet 7 inches tall (short?).

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your kind words! Should mention perhaps that I (my game) dates back to an era when we still played on slow, thick wool cloth - a "finesse game" wasn't so much a matter of choice back then, balls wouldn't open up more no matter what one did to them…

What you're noticing is something I developed over time, due to deteriorating eyesight I guess, as I used to have the cue right under my chin (between my eyes) when I was still young. I'm really wearing glasses, or should, when playing, and take them off for the purpose. Tried to play with special-made glasses, couldn't do it, balls are bigger and pockets smaller (joking - everything looks bigger, admittedly the advantage is I can read the numbers on the balls when I'm wearing my glasses, although by now I know which is which…). My right eye is dominant, but vision blurry, whereas it used to be my better eye some decades ago. It does look a bit a bit strange, can't deny it…

The cue in this video is a 1991 Jerry Franklin Southwest with a Tom Hay Ultraskin Medium layered tip, occasionally, where I couldn't reach otherwise, using the cue used in the earlier video you commented on, a 2011 Mike Lambros with an Ultraskin Pro (Soft) layered tip. The Southwest is considerably heavier at 19.65 to 20 ounces, compared to the Lambros that ranges between 18.75 and 19.15, depending on the shaft(s) used. The Lambros comes with a 6-inch extension, which I find most convenient, being only 5 feet 7 inches tall (short?).

Congrates on a great run, thank you for doing it with my tip.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Congrates on a great run, thank you for doing it with my tip.

Thanks Tom! Sent you an email sometime ago regarding an order, not sure if you got it? Prefer PM via AzBilliards?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What you're noticing is something I developed over time, due to deteriorating eyesight I guess, as I used to have the cue right under my chin (between my eyes) when I was still young. I'm really wearing glasses, or should, when not playing, and take them off for the purpose. Tried to play with special-made glasses, couldn't do it, balls are bigger and pockets smaller (joking - everything looks bigger, admittedly the advantage is I can read the numbers on the balls when I'm wearing my glasses, although by now I know which is which…). My right eye is dominant, but vision blurry, whereas it used to be my better eye some decades ago. It does look a bit a bit strange, can't deny it…

Thanks for the reply. I have a cataract on my right eye and it is my dominant eye. I still put the cue under my right eye, tried switching but it just doesn't feel right.

Nice run.