Video: Shawn Putnam doing commentary during his own match

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
I was live streaming a 10-ball tournament last weekend, and I managed to convince Shawn Putnam to wear the wireless headset and perform live commentary during his own match.

This video is really cool. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuJ6si8rhw

Thank you, Shawn, for sharing your knowledge while you were simultaneously competing in the final match! I owe you a Whataburger trophy. :)

-Blake

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very, very cool! That is a great idea to have a player do that. Kudos go out to Shawn Putnam for doing this and you for filming it. :cool:

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I was live streaming a 10-ball tournament last weekend, and I managed to convince Shawn Putnam to wear the wireless headset and perform live commentary during his own match.

This video is really cool. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtuJ6si8rhw

Thank you, Shawn, for sharing your knowledge while you were simultaneously competing in the final match! I owe you a Whataburger trophy. :)

-Blake

I have seen something like this before.

And I thought it might prove very good for spectators !

But could it be the WOW factor ?

It could if used correctly.

:groucho:

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great stuff if more of this is done I think pool would be much more spectator friendly please try to do more of the same

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
BTW, Shawn's commentary begins around 9:30. He experienced technical difficulties prior to that. :D

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not available on IPad platform.

Yeah that is a bummer! I just searched for it on the Youtube channel on the ipad and couldn't find it.

Look forward to watching this next time I am on the computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Pretty cool stuff man, always pushing the edge... I like it!!!!! Although my thought is finding willing participants, as you did here will be a rare happening. Wish it could happen more often.

The addition of a mixer and a couple lavaliere mics would be nice as well as expensive (even the cheaper $150 Azden setups that would be perfect for this situation), but would also create a nightmare wiring players before and after every match, not to mention all the battery issues. Even then, you would have to find willing candidates who are willing to mic up.

*Opinion, personal preference rant warning:

One common denominator with all the live pool streams are none of them (that I recall) hang a microphone directly over the tables from the lights or thereabouts. I want to hear whats being said "At the table by the players", not just whats being talked about by the railbirds surrounding the both or camera mics. This could even be as simple as a standard cheap desktop mic and a 25-50 foot of mono audio extension cable for starters.

I also want to hear the table action (those sweet perfect cue hit tinks, miscues, players berating themselves on misses, potted ball sounds, etc etc). Any audio/video syncing issues should all be adjustable from any decent broadcasting client and should nearly be a set it and forget thing. I understand from time to time the language will be a little rough, just label it PG-13, hehe.

End of rant....

Blake.

You're on a roll man, keep on pushing the limits and doing what "YOU" want to do, Your exceptional creativity and thinking "outside the box" mentality will be what separates you from the rest. In only a matter of weeks, you've gone from what nearly anyone can do with a laptop, webcam and net connectivity, to the exceptional offering you have currently. I look forward to what you come up with next.

It was an honor and pleasure to be of assistance during your discovery & experimental stage. You know how to contact me should you want anyone to "thinktank" with.

Dopc. RTMP FTW............

Last edited:

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Thanks for all the positive comments, everybody. I had a lot of fun doing this stream, and Shawn's commentary was great.

I'm an iPhone user, too, so I was disappointed about the video not being available on mobile devices. Sorry about that. My next live stream recordings will definitely be available. This one particular video just wouldn't cooperate, so I had to work some computer magic to make it viewable at all.

For a while, I thought I had lost all the audio - I was so mad! But after a few hours of work, I was able to reassemble the video and audio. As usual, there were definitely lessons learned.

This live streaming thing is a lot of fun, but it takes a lot of work, and a LOT of time. Thanks to all the people that have been helping me learn, supporting my ideas, and watching the streams.

I'll see you on the next one! :)

-Blake

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only watched 2 minutes of it so far, but it seems awesome.

I've always had this desire to see the pros mic'ed up talking the viewers telling us what they are trying to do and how they'll be doing it. But that is probably too much to expect from pros playing in a big tournament.

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an awesome video for any pool lover to enjoy. Thanks a lot for uploading the video!

Looking forward to more of these video in the future.

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video is too awesome.

Hilarious watching him with those ear muffs on.

Good stuff Blake!

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching the full video i'd like to thank you for sharing it and to Shawn Putnam for doing it. Thats my dream vision of pro pool right there, forget the guys guessing at what's going to be done in a booth and let the players tell the fans what they're playing and how they're feeling!!!

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
17 - 18 comments by other posters and not one negative comment.

Got to be a record on AZB :thumbup:

Somebody tell Shawn