Vintage cue Wood ID

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is an old Mali, late 60’s. The thin black cap on the end of a Marble sleeve, the Palmer-esque rings, the pin and the finish over the joint point me in the Mali direction.

I’m curious about the wood. It would appear to be some tropical hardwood, Mahogany or possible some cousin of Koa. It has a touch of curl to it. It would look clean with a refinish and a different wrap.

VSk5mBz.jpg

6VX5jxI.jpg

Dn2AdvC.jpg

Last edited:

goatgod

not sure but it is cool! if I had it I would have to sand it down and refinish it with some wax and give it new life

R2PQZ

I think this is an old Mali, late 60’s. The thin black cap on the end of a Marble sleeve, the Palmer-esque rings, the pin and the finish over the joint point me in the Mali direction.

I’m curious about the wood. It would appear to be some tropical hardwood, Mahogany or possible some cousin of Koa. It has a touch of curl to it. It would look clean with a refinish and a different wrap.

VSk5mBz.jpg

6VX5jxI.jpg

Dn2AdvC.jpg
Looks like goncalo alves. One of the better cue woods. Missing a black band on shaft.

R2PQZ

VSk5mBz.jpg

6VX5jxI.jpg

Dn2AdvC.jpg
Koa another posibility

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
This site is fantastic for identifying woods. It has a gazillion example pictures of every type of look for every type of wood, and most of the pics can be enlarged to a very large high definition version by clicking on them.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Never seen a Mali with that buttcap/sleeve design. I thinks its an early Taiwan import.
It may very well be an off shore thing. From what I can see the construction method and material selection to me resembles a "Rich" product. Which Rich would be the question. No sure if that method was copied and by which one or whom?

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may very well be an off shore thing. From what I can see the construction method and material selection to me resembles a "Rich" product. Which Rich would be the question. No sure if that method was copied and by which one or whom?
After some image searches, I do think it is a Rich. I think I saw at least a dozen Rich cues with the same alternating black and red wrap.