Vote: $1000 Wager 3X6 Competition JB Cue Case vs Whitten Cue Case

Which do you like better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TxBullDog

Registered
To make a long story short, several gamblers online back in March when quarantine started for Covid got into a argument about JB cue cases vs Whitten. To end the argument we decided to compare both and bet $1000 to for each case. We would then vote and the tie breaker would be on AZ Billiards if needed. It took a long time to get everything but the JB case arrived a few days ago with a video and we need everybody's constructive opinions. This might be like arguing about BMW vs Mercedes but it will very clearly show the difference between both 3 X 6 cases. They both have advantages and personal preferences. The interesting part is seeing what the majority think and who you believe should win the bet. Your help is greatly appreciated in ending this overdue debate. Thank you and be safe. God Bless all of you.
Pictures of both cases up close and any video link is provided.
Whitten Case cost $975 (9 pictures multiple post) - Embossed Black Lizard/Smooth black, Triple Stitched, Metal stud bottom
JB Blue Rose Case cost $1000 (9 pictures post) Strong Saddle Leather, Lifetime Warranty, Rubber Bottom
Both are 3X6
Whitten uses tubes inside.
JB uses a stuffed filler.
The rest I will leave up to the AZ Billiard family to decide based on the information and pictures.
Video from JB about the Blue Rose Case can be found on youtube at https://youtu.be/FbB6kHXUqVI

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,213
  • W Pic 1.jpg
    W Pic 1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Pic 7.jpg
    Pic 7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • W Pic 6.jpg
    W Pic 6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m just not a fan of floral look on cases. I think JB makes a better case but I’m not a fan of the flowers. I voted for the Whitten.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m just not a fan of floral look on cases. I think JB makes a better case but I’m not a fan of the flowers. I voted for the Whitten.

Agreed. I really don't think you could go wrong either way. The subtle style of this particular Whitten, vs this particular JB? The Whitten is more my flavor. Kudos to two great case makers. :)

DJ66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rose case has beautiful tooling and color. The Whitten has a quiet class about it. It’s a very tough decision, but I have to vote for the JB based on interior (I don’t care for tubes), warranty (lifetime), and overall artistic interpretation (if they can do this with roses, stems, and leaves, then anything else should be extraordinary).

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB cases has my vote. You can immediately tell by the attention to the detail put into the case and you cannot go wrong with the lifetime warranty.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

heinosuke1

Registered
I voted for JB, not because I find John’s case more attractive (I prefer the Whitten from an aesthetics standpoint), but because I never feel as confident putting my cues away as I do when I’m putting them inside my JB cases.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The 2 cases should have looked similar.

JB Cases is always the answer.

I suspect a lot of people voting otherwise don't like JB, these people would put their kids in cars without airbags because they don't like the person selling the cars with airbags.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
My vote is for JB.
I agree having a common theme that they had to create would have made more sense.
I don’t hate them but flowers wouldn’t be my first pick. Still the tooling on those are very well done.
I prefer the ultra pad over tubes
The extra features like the pocket tray are another plus.
The magnetic latch is definitely a winner.
I even like the handles better.

Written makes a very slick stylish case I would be happy to have but if I was dropping my $1000 it would be on the JB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Stuck in the middle.

I too don't care for the flowers, but it's not my case and the dyes and tooling are top quality work. While I know the padded interior is better, I actually like the tubes because they look cleaner.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't get to vote (just saw this) but would've voted for the Whitten, which is not what I thought when clicking this link. As much as I can appreciate the work that went into the JB case I'm just not a fan of that case.

Sneakypete05

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm late to the party as well, I also choose the Whitten case. Got mine used in 2005 (made in 1997). No warranty work required.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would vote for the Whitten though that is a particularly dull Whitten case to my eye. I think JB Cases are solid but not in the same world as a Whitten. I do not like the interior of JB Cases, though they are better than they used to be. JB made me an interior for my rugged that moves it to 2x4 inside a 3x6 case interior. I like it much better. In my view the cue pieces are way too close together and tight. That said in the $200 range they are excellent and the customization is great. But for a high end case Whitten cases are just elegant and superb

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My vote is for JB.
I agree having a common theme that they had to create would have made more sense.
I don’t hate them but flowers wouldn’t be my first pick. Still the tooling on those are very well done.
I prefer the ultra pad over tubes
The extra features like the pocket tray are another plus.
The magnetic latch is definitely a winner.
I even like the handles better.

Written makes a very slick stylish case I would be happy to have but if I was dropping my $1000 it would be on the JB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was the problem. I was told to build a leather case that we would sell for $1000. I would be happy to go apples to apples in any style and price point but the problem is often that one maker's price point is well above another's for similar work.

I personally wouldn't see myself ever buying a plain cue case for $1000. But I would have zero problem dropping $500 on a plain Whitten because they are fantastic cases and the workmanship is incredibly well done.

Needless to say I don't agree with my friend Jack Justis' opinion here. I think that we provide better protection hands down and that if there were any objective testing by an independent lab we would come out better in almost every category of protection. Regarding fit and finish I will say that we build very different styles and IF I were to try and build something very similar to a Whitten then I would not expect to beat them in fit and finish. When it comes to the style they build there is literally none better on Earth in the elegance and execution than Whitten in my opinion. We are always going to be more rough around the edges due to the nature of having a shop with 25 people building and a broad range of models and styles.

In any case I am truly HONORED that we made the top two for this contest. I look up to people like Dan, Joe and Jill Whitten as artisans at a level one strives to achieve. If we ever were to achieve their level of fit and finish then I would consider us at the Louis Vuitton, Hermes level. That's how I see Whitten in cases. They do one style and do it to perfection. They can't do the range that we do and we can't build a case to their level of fit and finish. I would however close with saying that out of the thousands of cases we have built we have built a few that I felt did get pretty close. :)

(Edit: I included Dan Whitten because even though I know he has passed many years ago I was once more arrogant than I am now (if you can believe it) and I have a story about Dan that makes me want to always mention him when speaking about Whitten quality. Back when I owned Instroke I made a card that said "when it comes to case making we can give every other maker the rainbow and have the royal lockdown hungarian nuts and are straight stealing." I thought it was funny. Then I went to the US Open and saw Whitten cases. I showed Dan the card and tore it up and threw away the rest of them. I felt embarrassed and ashamed because the Whitten cases were so clean and elegant, beyond anything I had seen or experienced until that moment. Ever since then the Confucian proverb has guided me, "there is always a heaven above the heaven." Jill and Joe have carried on the tradition that Dan started and never ever wavered from that level of quality and elegance. Their work is timeless and would be recognized as pure and high end no matter if one was preserved and looked upon a thousand years later.)

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Here you go Jack. More pics of this beautiful Whitten. Definitely the Jaguar of cases IMO.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.39.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.39.04 PM.png
    583.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.53 PM.png
    720.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.39 PM.png
    686.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.38.30 PM.png