WHO HAS MODEST, WELL-BUILT LATHE-
I NEED ONE,
JUST FOR SPINNING CUE BUTT
THANK YOU

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I do the same thing. An old Craftsman wood lathe. I bought a Sherline (I think) adapter to screw onto the 3/8-16 pin of the headstock. It then holds a spur drive. A simple live center for the tailstock end. They are readily available on CraigsList or FB Market. Finding one with a variable speed control like Kim did would be even better.

DeeDeeCues

Wood lathe, as stated. Make sure you get a #2 taper on both headstock and tail. Look for an old Delta, Craftsman, Montgomery Ward 42-48". You can run a four jaw chuck, but PSI sells an ER32 collet chuck for those. Just make Delrin adapters for the pin and you'll be off to the races.

A good Nova live center with interchangeable tips is nice to have.

I put an industrial sewing machine motor on mine and could get 60-2000 spindle rpm. Had enough power to turn squares to round.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
If you are going to be spinning a finish or adhesion coat do not buy a wood lathe unless it has a variable speed motor.

Most wood lathes Rpm goes too fast on the lowest speed and it will cause the finish to want to get funny from the centripetal force.

Feeds and speed is the key.

DeeDeeCues

If you are going to be spinning a finish or adhesion coat do not buy a wood lathe unless it has a variable speed motor.

Most wood lathes Rpm goes too fast on the lowest speed and it will cause the finish to want to get funny from the centripetal force.

Feeds and speed is the key.

That's a good point that has been addressed, though obliquely. I've never used a wood lathe that would go slow enough, even with a stock vs motor. Apparently sooner of the Nova lathe will.

The good thing is that the old cast iron lathes from the fifties are cheap, rebuildable, and have belt drives and separated motors. Adding a good vs motor is an easy mod.

DeeDeeCues

Probably not going to do much better than this frankly unless you can build it from parts you may save a little bit.

Depends. You can grab the old lathes cheap if you watch cl and marketplace. You'd probably be into the setup I described for about six, but you cannot do more than refinish.

Last edited:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Depends. You can grab the old lathes cheap if you watch cl and marketplace. You'd probably be into the setup I described for about six, but you cannot do more than refinish. The mid America tailstock sucks for holding.
DeeDee,
That tailstock is a standard Taid tailstock - not invented or desgned by Todd.
It has a tightening screw for locking it down that works just fine.
YMMV
Gary

DeeDeeCues

DeeDee,
YMMV
Gary

Thanks. Didn't intend any disrespect to Todd, he's great.

Post will be edited.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
DeeDee,
YMMV
S4090002 [1600x1200].JPG

Gary
Replace the screw with a lever and it's a huge upgrade not having to have a wrench right there. Don't know why those things have a habit of hiding.

DeeDeeCues

Replace the screw with a lever and it's a huge upgrade not having to have a wrench right there. Don't know why those things have a habit of hiding.

I like having the screw drive on the tailstock. I can put controlled pressure that way.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I like having the screw drive on the tailstock. I can put controlled pressure that way.
I have one for my deluxe lathe I got from Chris Hightower. Not sure where he obtained it. Yes screw pressure is much better than a lever. Although you can get a feel for the lever pressure making it not such a big deal.