Was my GC3 installed correctly?

dogthenine

Hi everyone,
One more quick piece of advice, When I talk to the guy about redoing it, what should I tell his is sloppy? I want to make sure the table is done right, and not be unreasonable.

Are the folds in the side pockets like I have acceptable? Should there just be no wrinkling on the rails? I will of course mention that the aprons should definitely sit flush below the rails, but I want to make sure I have a sense of what is good quality work, and what is just optional. For example, it seems "folded trim" is nice but optional.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll let you know how it gets resolved.

MesdupBoogie

Registered
Bare minimum, I’d ask for no wrinkles that can hit balls in play and for the side pocket folds tightened up. If they can do the side pockets without folds and without wrinkles, maybe that’s ok. It’s outside my lane to know for sure what counts as acceptable. I’m a pretty low-end player and don’t have any installation experience.

Tablemaker

Registered
Bare minimum, I’d ask for no wrinkles that can hit balls in play and for the side pocket folds tightened up. If they can do the side pockets without folds and without wrinkles, maybe that’s ok. It’s outside my lane to know for sure what counts as acceptable. I’m a pretty low-end player and don’t have any installation experience.
There should be no wrinkles in the cloth at all. Its virtually impossible to recover a side rail and have no folds on the side pocket especially with Simomis fabric without severely distorting the nose of the cushion.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Hi all,
I hired a mechanic who came highly recommended in these forums to move and recover a gold crown 3 as well as re-cushion the rails with super speed cushions.

When the job was done, there was a 1/4 in gap between the aprons and top rails (see the pictures below), which I asked the mechanic about and he said that it has to be like that. I do not recall the gap being there before the table was moved, and I do not see such a pronounced gap when I look at other gold crown 3s on the internet. Additionally, the job done on the rails seems subpar, but I not an expert so I did not question him on this. Considering that I paid a lot of money to have this done I wanted to get your opinion if I should call the mechanic and ask him to redo the work, or if this job is done properly, and I should just chill out. I am happy to share more pictures or better quality pictures.

Thanks so much!
Respectfully, that cloth looks like dog shit. That's the work of a hack and I don't know or care who the mechanic was, this is BAD.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Slightly off topic.
I'm about half way restoring a GC3.
The table at some time came out of a pool hall and the skirts were not the correct skirts for the GC3.
When bolted up the skirts had a huge 8mm gap between the rails which looked like crap.
The only solution was to remove all of the bolt blocks on the skirts, make a template of the correct height, then reattach the blocks.
The skirts now sit flush with the rails. It was a bit of a mission to say the least.
I know that your table didn't come from a mixed up pool hall. Just saying.

Attachments

• 20210418_110235~01[1].jpg
    20210418_110235~01[1].jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210518_072108~01[1].jpg
    20210518_072108~01[1].jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210517_111215~01[1].jpg
    20210517_111215~01[1].jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210518_072206~01[1].jpg
    20210518_072206~01[1].jpg
    61 KB · Views: 110

Deeep Pockets

I wonder if he's friends with or is the guy that did my GCIII? Seriously though, after that, would you even want him back to work on it? Guaranteed he won't be thrilled about a redo. Sadly after seeing that, I'd be concerned about what you can't see. Did he do rubber and facings to?

Dartman

Silver Member
Bad part is knowing something isn't right and not taking the time to fix it correctly.

L.S. Dennis

Hi everyone,
One more quick piece of advice, When I talk to the guy about redoing it, what should I tell his is sloppy? I want to make sure the table is done right, and not be unreasonable.

Are the folds in the side pockets like I have acceptable? Should there just be no wrinkling on the rails? I will of course mention that the aprons should definitely sit flush below the rails, but I want to make sure I have a sense of what is good quality work, and what is just optional. For example, it seems "folded trim" is nice but optional.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll let you know how it gets resolved.
Sorry to hear and see your bad experience with this guy, I just had the left side rail off of my Gold Crown lll so I could re-stretch the cloth and it went back together perfectly no gap and I havent’t even tightened up the rail bolts yet.

Your situation is a tough one, I don’t think I’d want this guy back in my house to try to fix his shoddy work and like someone else already said what kind of attitude would he have when he did come back?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I definitely would try to allert others to this guy though he has only himself to blame for his reputation!

Again, good luck and let us know what happens

Last edited:

dogthenine

Sorry to hear and see your bad experience with this guy, I just had the left side rail off of my Gold Crown lll so I could re-stretch the cloth and it went back together perfectly no gap and I havent’t even tightened up the rail bolts yet.

Your situation is a tough one, I don’t think I’d want this guy back in my house to try to fix his shoddy work and like someone else already said what kind of attitude would he have when he did come back?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I definitely would try to allert others to this guy though he has only himself to blame for his reputation!

Again, good luck and let us know what happens
Thanks Man. Could you share a picture of your GC3 rails? I want to make sure that mine look right after they are fixed. I'll let people know who did this if he does not make it right.

L.S. Dennis

Thanks Man. Could you share a picture of your GC3 rails? I want to make sure that mine look right after they are fixed. I'll let people know who did this if he does not make it right.

Attachments

• 1B3D5C98-CDF3-479D-9DE9-DD8D1571CD5D.jpeg
    1B3D5C98-CDF3-479D-9DE9-DD8D1571CD5D.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 105

L.S. Dennis

I hope the above picture of the side panel apron helps, as you see there is no gap between the top of the apron and the rail.
Let us know how you come out with this guy.

L.S. Dennis

Thanks! I am pretty sure I saw him do this. I vaguely recall him marking the cloth with chalk. This is off topic, but I asked him why he was not doing the pockets with the nice looking fold, and he said that it takes too long, and that since the GC3 has the black inserts it would never be noticed. I think he is probably correct, but this should have been a red flag for me.
He said “it takes too long” !? What the hell does is that suppose to mean? He‘s getting paid to do the job correctly no matter how ‘long’ it may take!

Deeep Pockets

The skirt assembly on my GC3 is off the table presently. I measured from the top of the skirt to the top of the mounting blocks on the skirt and that distance is 15mm. My table has no gap. If that distance is less on yours, like only 10mm, that might explain the gap.

clydeNbonnie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had the same thing happen to me. There was a small gap where a coin could slip underneath the rail. I asked Glen Hancock and he told me they didn't trim the cloth under the rails causing the extra cloth to act like a shim between the bottom of the rail and the slate top. If you were to flip the rails upside down, you will notice the cloth is not trimmed correctly. I bet the cloth over rides the lip of the rail.