Was this a foul at TS or a SHARK

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cardigan Kid - thanks, interesting. BTW, Mike Dechaine has a new video coming out called Break Mechanic with the tag line "it's almost cheating." I'm not kidding. Click the link.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the answer: a mandatory push after the break. If you make the 9, it gets spotted. Nobody would care less about the rack then. Problem solved.

Personally, I would love to see more strategy and safety play. Today's players all play so strong, anyone can string racks together and upset the better player.

I would like to see "no push" after the break, the break is a skill shot at the pro level.

Nothing is going to fix the "racking wars" (the players today know to much) except using a neutral racker and the player has to accept the rack unless something crazy happens like a ball rolls off after the balls are set.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw was completely out of line, IMO.

Somebody brought up an idea that i like. If you don't like the re-rack, you can give up the break and your opponent has to break the rack as is. Either your opponent is giving you a bad rack and he'll have to deal with it or you're just being a nit.

Long ago, I proposed that the players alternate racking. After the balls are racked, they flip a coin to see who breaks. Probably not perfect but would cut down on a lot of nonsense.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
It is what it is. I personally like Zuglans format, winner breaks, loser racks, 1 on the spot & the 9 on the snap is a win. It's what 9 ball always was before the whining & should always be.

I watched a match between Karen Corr and Bucky on a table that had been breaking tough for everyone throughout the tournament & as her breaks were coming up dry she started to get picky seemingly suggesting shenanigans when it was just the table was tough. 2 racks later she made the 9 on the snap & stopped sniveling.

Again it is what it is, if you hate the racking wars then ***** to Joe Tucker, he's the one that created this monster with his rack mechanic books & DVD's. Prior to that this info was not a wildfire out of control.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is what it is. I personally like Zuglans format, winner breaks, loser racks, 1 on the spot & the 9 on the snap is a win. It's what 9 ball always was before the whining & should always be.

I watched a match between Karen Corr and Bucky on a table that had been breaking tough for everyone throughout the tournament & as her breaks were coming up dry she started to get picky seemingly suggesting shenanigans when it was just the table was tough. 2 racks later she made the 9 on the snap & stopped sniveling.

Again it is what it is, if you hate the racking wars then ***** to Joe Tucker, he's the one that created this monster with his rack mechanic books & DVD's. Prior to that this info was not a wildfire out of control.

I don't really agree with the "that's the way it's always been" mentality. While we all enjoy seeing pro pool played at its highest level, I think we're being a bit overly critical of Jayson Shaw in particular. I watched the stream most of the weekend, and every match I watched, the players were inspecting every rack. I also find it funny that everyone had all these snide comments about Mike being a rack inspector and rack mechanic, yet when he was on the receiving end of it, all of a sudden Jay is the bad one. I'm not knocking either player, as I've met both and they're both approachable. Remember, we're all competitive in here as well. given that, I can perfectly understand the frustration with the quality of the racking.

on another note... when the back balls are loose, the 9 will always track to a corner pocket.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It's sometimes easier to make a ball when there are gaps and the rack isn't straight, I think receiving a "perfect" rack is somewhat of an unreasonable expectation for the most part so it's in your best interest to learn how to make a ball with a rack that has gaps in it.

Neil

Agreed, I think a lot of the re-racks over and over again are until that rack gets the gap that player wants.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turning Stone is why I'm all for templates. Yes the wing ball goes 99% of the time but that's what the pro's seem to want. They want a perfect rack and spend 1-3 minutes looking for it.

I watched most of Turning Stone and it got to be a joke. It wasn't fun watch 2-5 minute racks. You could see the back ball rolling off, we watched Shane try to tap the 1 ball in place and the rack still wasn't good, we watched 2-3 racks per game. If it's that hard to rack just use templates already..

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I don't really agree with the "that's the way it's always been" mentality. .

What is it that you don't agree with. Prior to the Europeans entering the game in force about 15 years ago the format that Mike Zuglan uses at TS was the format predominantly used in every tournament.

You didn't see alternating breaks, rack your own or the 9 being racked on the spot or the 9 not counting on the break. These format changes started occurring because of whining in the last 15 years resulting in as many different formats regarding the break as there are tournaments. You may not agree with it but it is a fact. I also enjoyed the old school format Mike employed at TS.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
sorry but

Mike D has been notorious with racking people since 2010. I wouldn't trust the michelin man either if he were racking for me. He will slug people and then dispute their racks. I don't blame Jayson at all. Should he have gotten a warning and been pulled aside for a second? Yes. Would I have pulled both of them aside and said get your shit together. Yes. Rack your own, 9 doesn't count and 2 ball is racked at the back.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a question for the group:

What do you think a casual observer who isn't a big pool fan would think if they were flipping through the channels and stumbled onto Rackapalooza 2015? Think they would be entertained? Think it would make them want to watch more?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Here's a question for the group:

What do you think a casual observer who isn't a big pool fan would think if they were flipping through the channels and stumbled onto Rackapalooza 2015? Think they would be entertained? Think it would make them want to watch more?

Of course not.

Neutral racker, no inspection. Game on!

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before we start slamming Jayson or Mike, those of us that were right there table side, could obviously see what was going on.

Jayson was well in his rights to be frustrated. Watch the racking times for the first ten racks, there was a reason why MD took so long. Everyone could see the back balls moving. Jayson was complaining about the spaces which were of ridiculous size if one were to just rack the balls normally.

MD even said "I'll bet you don't make a wing ball".

And the kicker is I like both these players. They both have outstanding offensive games and when they got going it was exciting. MD has a very good demeanor with the fans and kids attending the tournament and I believe he is an asset to American pool. But on this evening, the racking was not very professional. Remember, MD lost his first match to Salvas and had to play one-loss bracket times (which is pretty much non-stop) for Friday, Saturday, and all of Sunday to get to the finals. He was fatigued and it was apparent. He's a great player and was going for the jugular. I'm not making excuses, I'm just explaining my observation.

at the end of the match Zuglan made an announcement that there will be some changes before the next Turning Stone Classic, maybe different racking rules or some players will not be back.

So we were left to take that for what it's worth.

Some players use racking by attrition - give your opponent bad racks enough times, he will eventually stop asking for re-racks and just give-in and break it, or not give-in and risk being called "cry baby" by audience members. Back in January, I saw Shane shove the rack and the balls across the table after a racking dispute. Everyone gets frustrated and it's easy to just throw your hands up and give-in. Jayson didn't.

I once asked Darren Appleton why he doesn't regularly play at the Turning Stone Classic, and he quickly responded he grew tired of the "Rack Merchants" that play there.

That was a good way to put it. Rack merchants.

On this evening, MD was selling and Jayson wasn't buying.

But that is old school 9-ball, with classic rules like winner breaks, and opponent racks. To tell you the truth, the intensity and atmosphere was ramped up and I had a good time. Maybe you just had to be there.

I shook both players hands and congratulated both on a great tournament.

I was there also and agree 100% with this post.

Al

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rack your own...9 doesn't count anywhere (pros should be running out to win racks not lucking in a 9 on the break)...and i really like the rack clock idea. seems simple. have the racker hit a timer when he gets out of his chair to go to the table...balls need to be set to break in say...60-90 seconds? seems like that would cut probably 5-7 minutes off most racks at turning stone. 9 ball isn't broken...it's become severely dented and damaged with these racking issues though. haha

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should be minimum two racks if you do not like the rack you
lose the game. That way there would be less racking of the balls
what do you think

Not a good idea. Why not just give your opponent 2 terrible racks? Easy win right?

People need to learn how to rack. Also people need to learn how to not be pieces of crap.

Did Jayson Shaw have racking issues with any other opponents? I believe even among the pros, most people do not know what a good rack *is*. This is a big obstacle to producing a good one.

KMRUNOUT

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A fix to this problem

the person breaking can ask for 1 rerack then , the racker must break........So, if the racker is trrying to give the breaker a shit rack, he must break that rack without a rerack.... Im suprised, when the tables arent yielding balls on the break that the breaker doesnt pass the break...... Ive seen pros do it in the 1980's..... Its one way to stop the rack bullshit

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Shaw was completely out of line, IMO.

Somebody brought up an idea that i like. If you don't like the re-rack, you can give up the break and your opponent has to break the rack as is. Either your opponent is giving you a bad rack and he'll have to deal with it or you're just being a nit.

I kind of like the idea of "giving your opponent a taste of their own medicine", 'if you don't like the re-rack,' you can make your opponent break that particular rack, EXCEPT, he could be breaking all of the time (providing he gives you a bad re-rack every time) and that isn't a good idea either.

Just sayin...

JoeyA