Wasted chalk?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can take your old cored chalk and scrape it against a cement wall or the sidewalk.
Just rub the chalk and grind it until the hole becomes just a dent instead of a foxhole.
The chalk will wear down evenly if you allow the friction to do the work….rotate the chalk.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... scrape it against a cement wall or the sidewalk. ...
Or get one of these. Use it inside a wastebasket.

CropperCapture[741].png

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My local spot has all the Master i can use. I've never thought about this. Hope i never do.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes you find a piece of chalk that’s “just right”.
Not a brand, just a regular piece like Masters.
Not to hard or soft. Feels good putting it on.
I usually try to hold onto that one.
At least for the night.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have been know to do the “File Thing”, on Sidewalk.

Use to do sidewalk reshaping pennies into dime, so we could play electric baseball arcade game behind Burger King on Tamimami Trail in Miami.🤣.

Last edited:

Pool Hand Luke

I bought a 2 pack of Blue Diamond for $7. After a year the top corners are pointy, and the middle is about 1/8" deeper despite my efforts to brush evenly along the outside edges. The paper was beginning to fray around the top edges of both cubes and looking pretty ragged.

I removed the paper labels entirely and covered the bottom and sides with electrical type tape up to the uneven borders at the top of each cube. I then rubbed the exposed chalk over a large metal file as suggested here until they were even with the taped borders.

Now the chalk looks almost new but for having a "trapazoid" bevel in the middle instead of the usual round. Big improvement, thanks for the tips and suggestions.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK chalk experts answer this on Saturday there were 3 nice cubes of Masters chalk on the table.
One of them made high pitched noise when used why?
I tossed it in the trash it was annoying like I was killing Mickey mouse.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
As others pointed out chalk can be cheap. A guy at the pool hall showed me his tip; sand his chalk flat by rubbing against any flat concrete surface.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK chalk experts answer this on Saturday there were 3 nice cubes of Masters chalk on the table.
Only time i've heard something like that is when you chalk a really hard, slick tip.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Use it for duck calling.

Maybe these guys make that chalk?

OIP.PVM81E2z4YWUMLVJQ46ZGQHaDt

Jeff Livingston

Geosnookery

I get a box of chalk now and then at the thrift store…maybe $1 for a dozen. I often hand out cubes when we play.

There’s usually a 4 or 5 on the rail of my Snooker table. Funny thing is they all end up accumulating at one end. I don’t pay attention to the brand but most are Masters.

Anyways, I just toss them. I have a lifetime’s supply. I’m frugal but no desire to leave chalk cubes for the landfill when I leave this earth in a couple decades.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
You messed up on this one, the high pitch could make a nice sharking tactic. Your opponent surely can't complain about you chalking can they? I'm only kidding, but I've heard these squeakers too, I wonder if it's drier or something. They generally quiet down after being out in the room for a few days.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You messed up on this one, the high pitch could make a nice sharking tactic. Your opponent surely can't complain about you chalking can they? I'm only kidding, but I've heard these squeakers too, I wonder if it's drier or something. They generally quiet down after being out in the room for a few days.
My opponent was an old guy like me and probably did not hear the squeaky chalk.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I brush my chalk on..and look at my tip while doing it...I apply chalk where it’s needed...and it has to be my bridge hand doing it. :)

If I’m not cut breaking, I don’t chalk my break cue...you don’t need chalk when you hit center ball.
I don’t like new chalk. I like chalk that a driller has broken in.

jshaw

Registered
At The Palace in San Francisco (and probably across the street at Cochran's) the procedure was to file the face of deep-hole chalk on a rough file. I think the counter man did this in his spare time.

But chalk only gets like that if it is used by people who chalk wrong, which is to say most of the people in the pool hall.
You can also take it outside and rub it on the concrete a few times.