Wax recommendations

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using chem-pak q wax.

After about 15 years I’m finally almost out of it, and I’m thinking about trying a new type.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve been using chem-pak q wax.

After about 15 years I’m finally almost out of it, and I’m thinking about trying a new type.

P21S 12700. It is a combination Carnuaba/Bees wax. Pricey, but baby's butt slick. :cool:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerlitz No.1 guitar wax. It is no. 1 grade pure carnauba wax, much better than what you used for 15 years. Get it at music stores!

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
One thing that I am not clear on is whether you are supposed to burnish with leather before or after putting on the wax?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that I am not clear on is whether you are supposed to burnish with leather before or after putting on the wax?

If you wax, you need to buff it off with some arm work. I'm not sure I'd use leather, unless I really didn't mind wax getting on the leather. You could use a piece of brown paper bag or a hundred dollar bill. Personally I'd only use leather if I didn't use wax.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we talking about waxing shafts? How would you apply carnuba? It comes in hard blocks or flakes and have a high melting point.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best wax I ever used is Craftsman Cue Wax that's formulated by Craftsman Cues in Birmingham, England.

I used to buy it direct in bulk quantities since shipping makes it expensive. I exhausted my supply about 6 mths ago.

Didn't want to spend another couple of hundred dollars buying 2 dozen cans so I switched to using Renaissance Wax.

It costs just as much but I can spend $20 on ebay & buy it as needed. Nonetheless, Craftsman Cue was a better cue wax.

Overall, I think for availability and price, use Renaissance Cue Wax. I am and I don't have any complaints either.

Matt B.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best wax I ever used is Craftsman Cue Wax that's formulated by Craftsman Cues in Birmingham, England.

I used to buy it direct in bulk quantities since shipping makes it expensive. I exhausted my supply about 6 mths ago.

Didn't want to spend another couple of hundred dollars buying 2 dozen cans so I switched to using Renaissance Wax.

It costs just as much but I can spend $20 on ebay & buy it as needed. Nonetheless, Craftsman Cue was a better cue wax.

Overall, I think for availability and price, use Renaissance Cue Wax. I am and I don't have any complaints either.

Matt B.

Do you use the renaissance wax the same way you would other cue waxes, i.e., putting some on with a rag, letting it dry, and then buffing it off pretty vigorously?

When people were talking about this stuff a couple years ago, I bought a little bottle and used it once on an old cue, but I had a really hard time buffing it off. And I remember others talking about putting it on and leaving it on like a sealant rather than a wax.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Are we talking about waxing shafts? How would you apply carnuba? It comes in hard blocks or flakes and have a high melting point.

Boil it in a metal trash can(you will need a bunch)once it reaches the boiling point kill the flame to reduce fire risk. Tape off the tip to stop "tip contamination" and submerge the shaft. Careful not to let liquid wax from entering the shaft threads. Then remove shaft and let cool. Once cooled GENTLY scrape excess way off with a knife at a 90 degree angle to the shaft then burnish with a winter scarf.

This has been the way for me.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boil it in a metal trash can(you will need a bunch)... Then remove shaft and let cool. Once cooled GENTLY scrape excess way off with a knife at a 90 degree angle to the shaft then burnish with a winter scarf.

I could've saved you a lot of typing. Everyone knows sewer pipe is the right size and shape for leg pulling. I wonder, though, if the boiling point is above or still below the liquid wax flash point. Any chance that you smoke?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Renaissance wax is the same as other waxes.....rub it one, let it dry and rub it off......works great.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boil it in a metal trash can(you will need a bunch)once it reaches the boiling point kill the flame to reduce fire risk. Tape off the tip to stop "tip contamination" and submerge the shaft. Careful not to let liquid wax from entering the shaft threads. Then remove shaft and let cool. Once cooled GENTLY scrape excess way off with a knife at a 90 degree angle to the shaft then burnish with a winter scarf.

For those of us who play with one-piece cues, you can submerge the entire cue in the liquid wax. If you are going to use this technique, the metal on the inside of your case will scratch and ruin the finish, so it is very important to fill your metal one-piece case with wax first for protection. Next, wrap a cardboard mailing tube in a sheet of asbestos (bottom end of tube capped, tube slightly wider than the cue's butt) and place in the metal case very carefully, being sure to center it perfectly. Once the wax has hardened you can pour lighter fluid on the end of the tube and then light with a match. The cardboard tube will burn away, leaving a nice lining for your case.

WARNING: The above will not work for two-piece cues.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of us who play with one-piece cues, you can submerge the entire cue in the liquid wax. If you are going to use this technique, the metal on the inside of your case will scratch and ruin the finish, so it is very important to fill your metal one-piece case with wax first for protection. Next, wrap a cardboard mailing tube in a sheet of asbestos (bottom end of tube capped, tube slightly wider than the cue's butt) and place in the metal case very carefully, being sure to center it perfectly. Once the wax has hardened you can pour lighter fluid on the end of the tube and then light with a match. The cardboard tube will burn away, leaving a nice lining for your case.

WARNING: The above will not work for two-piece cues.

I think I got lost along the thread.
Are we making candles?