Way too many byes (or walkovers) at the world pool masters

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny in the other thread for the cup, some people complained that the forfeits should not have been filled by last minute entrants. Just proof that you can't please everyone. ha.

PS, I am of the opinion all byes should be filled if possible.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is actually expanded....most of the time it is 16 invited players...they added 8 seeds.
So those walkovers aren’t no shows.
So it was maxed at 24?
If you're going to increase the number of players why not to 32?
btw ...where's Alex? :rolleyes: (who was also mia at world cup of pool fully taken advantage by GB-C)

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny in the other thread for the cup, some people complained that the forfeits should not have been filled by last minute entrants. Just proof that you can't please everyone. ha.

WCoP had an alotted broadcasting slot at Sky Sports, they had to replace the walkover teams. or fill the time with long hours of interviews / promo videos, ads. i know what i prefer as a viewer.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuescore lists them as walkovers but they are not. The tournament was expanded recently (I think 2019) from 16 players to 24. 8 seeded players qualify for the first round. The other 16 play a preliminary round for the right to play them.

Alex is missing for the same reason he missed WCOP - Canadian travel restrictions/quarantine. Billy Thorpe is his replacement.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Alex is missing for the same reason he missed WCOP - Canadian travel restrictions/quarantine. Billy Thorpe is his replacement.
That's the excuse. He opted not to go.

You need to provide negative covid test to board a plane and are required to quarantine when returning to Canada for 14 days, if you decide to stay in the country. My company has been crossing the US border since the beginning and the rules in Ontario state that you either quarantine for 14 days after international travel or you can freely return to the States at any point. Not entirely sure if the US border authority would have turned Alex around if after returning from England if he tried to enter the US.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshot_20210515-192600_Chrome.jpg

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless he is US citizen or a permant resident, he can't enter the US if he has been in the UK or Gibraltar (which is now part of the Schengen area).

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morra didnt make it to the UK either. 2 other Canadians were supposed to replace them but then they didnt show up.
But Morra is in the US. He just got 3rd in a 1 pocket tournament. Alex was missing again.......

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A
So it was maxed at 24?
If you're going to increase the number of players why not to 32?
btw ...where's Alex? :rolleyes: (who was also mia at world cup of pool fully taken advantage by GB-C)
Alex and John Morra are finding it difficult to fit their schedules around COVID considerations.
14 day quarantine when you‘re a Canuck.

You‘ll notice that there are other countries missing, most notably China and Taiwa.