Weariness causing an increase of indifference.

Wow!

I am planning on getting the boat out of the garage a LOT more this summer. Less pool, more fishing. Staying up late on league nights and getting up very early to go fishing do not make a good combination. I think I'll spend a lot more time at the gun range too. I've got a buttload of ammo that needs to be shot up.

As far as the cues, I've got an old Cuetec I might send your way if you'll pay the shipping ;):o:D:D:D!!!

Maniac


I think you must be my brother from another mother. I used to spend a couple three hours a day just banging on a snooker table before starting the serious activities of the evening. That certainly didn't hurt my pool game. Other similarities, when I worked a rolling work week where I worked four days one week and five the next I fished one day on the five day week and two days on the four day week, if they weren't biting real good. If they were biting I added more fishing time.

Had to sell my boat after an unplanned retirement and found the local range to plink at. They had a centerfire pistol competition so I started shooting that. Started winning and set a record that can never be beaten in my second season. Then I found benchrest rifles. They are short and fat and remind me of a pellet gun so I promptly started calling them BB guns although my pair of 6PPC's were "the ladies in red" due to the paint and the faint hope that if I called them ladies they would act like ladies! Did OK with them too winning against hall of famers and world record holders although I have to admit they beat me much more often! Got tired of benchrest competition and found pool again but the pistols are calling and I love to play and hunt with my AR-15. Built a freak top end with a Lilja barrel for my brother's AR and the danged thing shot less than a tenth of an inch behind my BB guns, one reason I quit benchrest! The AR's are fun and sometimes all I take on a trip other than a little party pistol or two.

Hu
 
I think you must be my brother from another mother. I used to spend a couple three hours a day just banging on a snooker table before starting the serious activities of the evening. That certainly didn't hurt my pool game. Other similarities, when I worked a rolling work week where I worked four days one week and five the next I fished one day on the five day week and two days on the four day week, if they weren't biting real good. If they were biting I added more fishing time.

Had to sell my boat after an unplanned retirement and found the local range to plink at. They had a centerfire pistol competition so I started shooting that. Started winning and set a record that can never be beaten in my second season. Then I found benchrest rifles. They are short and fat and remind me of a pellet gun so I promptly started calling them BB guns although my pair of 6PPC's were "the ladies in red" due to the paint and the faint hope that if I called them ladies they would act like ladies! Did OK with them too winning against hall of famers and world record holders although I have to admit they beat me much more often! Got tired of benchrest competition and found pool again but the pistols are calling and I love to play and hunt with my AR-15. Built a freak top end with a Lilja barrel for my brother's AR and the danged thing shot less than a tenth of an inch behind my BB guns, one reason I quit benchrest! The AR's are fun and sometimes all I take on a trip other than a little party pistol or two.

Hu

Hu:

That must make us triplets from three different mothers, then. Maniac and I had already broached these touchpoints you mention -- pool/snooker, fishing, and competitive firearms. (In fact, Maniac and I both own 8mm Mausers -- I have both the genuine sniper's model with the 36" barrel, as well as the "sporterized" version that's been cut-down and hollowed-out to make it a lighter "brush gun".) And I share the BB gun experience, too. As a kid, I used to take a bag of dried peas (used for preparing pea soup) and my Crosman BB pistol out to the backyard, toss a small handful in the air, and as fast as I can, try to pulverize as many peas in mid-air as I can before they fall to the ground (yes, shoot the peas in flight like wing shots). My personal record is 6 peas. Then I got into long-distance rifle target shooting up in Columbia County, NY. 500 and 1,000 yard shots with a 300 Winchester magnum. That evolved into being fortunate enough to have one of my shipmate friends in the Navy change "careers" by becoming a Seal, and after coming back from Coronado, CA, he invited me to come shooting with him at one of the ranges with the MK-15 (50 cal. BMG sniper's rifle -- methinks it has since been replaced by the Barrett M107). 2,000 yards. Unreal boom! It took me about a clip to get used to it, and I scored a hit at that range. I can't imagine what those big 50 cal. rounds cost, but they are for sure very expensive. I'll tell ya though, if I had the money, a Sean-owned M107 would be a dream...

Anyway, apologies about the reminiscing -- it's fun!

Maniac, thanks for the thumbnail about your pool experience. I wish I lived closer. I think another poster hit it on the head, and it sounds like you're nearly saturated. No wonder you're getting burned out!

Here's to hoping you can achieve balance,
-Sean
 
S, you and Hu, and Maniac could be the long lost brothers that my Mother used to tell me about. It seems that Dad couldn't afford good condums, and Mom couldn't tell the difference. She said that one out of the four was uncommonly handsome (that would have been me) and the other three were clock stoppers.
Anyway, back in the day I was an IPSC (combat) Missouri and Arkansas State Champion in B and C class. I used to shoot with Bill Wilson, Mike Plaxco, Rob Leatham. All the heavy hitters.
Does any of you guys like motorcycles? :)
 
850 Norton in the garage

S, you and Hu, and Maniac could be the long lost brothers that my Mother used to tell me about. It seems that Dad couldn't afford good condums, and Mom couldn't tell the difference. She said that one out of the four was uncommonly handsome (that would have been me) and the other three were clock stoppers.
Anyway, back in the day I was an IPSC (combat) Missouri and Arkansas State Champion in B and C class. I used to shoot with Bill Wilson, Mike Plaxco, Rob Leatham. All the heavy hitters.
Does any of you guys like motorcycles? :)

An 850 Norton sitting in the garage but it is my brother's, I sold my black one with the gold accents years ago. By the time I took up pistol shooting I had a gimp in my giddy-up and couldn't run and gun. Did pretty good with plates and local PPC though. J Michael(Mike) Plaxco wrote as good a book on the mental game as anything I have ever read, maybe the best. The rest of the book was pretty good too. I still recommend the book to anyone that competes at anything just for Plaxco's understanding of the mental game. It surpasses the understanding of a handful of PhD's who have written entire books devoted to the mental game.

While I found the third level zone long before I shot pistol competition Plaxco's book helped me find it more often. I shot the first perfect score at a local match that had went on for about fifteen years before I started shooting there. Some guy named Jerry Miculek cut his teeth in those matches but we never met. I shot often against his brother and some of the folks that are on the S&W pistol team last I knew. A local young'n was recruited to shoot for a military pistol team and another local shooter was a grandmaster open and limited last time I spoke to him. The local pistol competition can be pretty tough. I was kinda proud to win with pistols I built. Much like the rifles, I lost more than I won but everybody knew I came to play when I showed up.

Hu
 
Does any of you guys like motorcycles? :)

Wow, our mothers know something that we don't know ;)! I have a Suzuki Boulevard sitting in my garage as I speak, having just sold my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 a few months ago. Ya'll should've seen the inside of my 2-car garage when I had a bass boat and FOUR motorcycles in it :yikes:. Was it ever crowded.

Hu, the AR's are definitely a blast (pun intended). I like mine so much I even went and bought myself a S&W MP15-22 for inexpensive "plinking".

As ya'll can see, I'm not going to suffer from not having things to do after I put league pool aside :thumbup:!!!

Maniac
 
Well there you go, my friend. Feel better already, don't you?
My Grand Mother, who arguably used to make the best chicken and dumplings in the whole wide world, used to tell me to "count my blessings". Although I'm not a particularly religious man, I still count them none-the-less. :)
 
I share many of your sentiments at this time also.
Used to play league twice a week and spare when ever I could for anyone else on off nights.
Captain of both teams for several years including the Spring League team.
Weekend tournaments once to twice on some weekends.

I am in the league play for much of the same reasons you are. I am a bit more competitive than you maybe by a small bit, but mostly there for the camaraderie, beer and a night out playing.

After so many years just getting a bit burnt myself and tired of babysitting.
And by babysitting, I mean, last minute notice and I have to work to find a last minute spare. Kind of hard most times.
I'm really going to push for someone else to captain the team next season.

If you have one team that you really like playing on, don't dump it as you might regret it. May not be able to duplicate that one in the future and should think about how your team mates feel about losing you to.

Dump the other nights and make yourself available for sparing in and then its totally your choice as to whether you want to play or not.

If you stop playing all together, I almost guarantee that you'll be going stir crazy within two weeks.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top