Weekend Tournaments in the Philly area?

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just moved to the Philly area. Where are there weekend tourneys in the area? Is there a website for this info? I moved from the minneapolis area and we had a tourney almost every weekend at different locations. Some were 2 day tourneys others were 1 day but all were at least $1000 added across 4 divisions. is there anything like that in the philly area? Thanks in advance!!

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only one I know of in that caliber is shown below. There are alot of pool halls in the area but the tournaments that I know of are smaller venues. This one is tomorrow........

Main Line Billiards to host the best one day tournament around the Mezz Pro-Am Tour. Sunday October 14, 2012 Hope to see everyone there.

Main Line Billiards
490 Lancaster Ave.
Frazer PA 19355
(610) 647-8805

Time Doors Open 10:00 am Play Begin 1:00pm

Contact: Jose Burgos 267-257-8006 or Pool Hall (610) 647-8805

ENRTY Fees:
$100 Open-Pro
$75 A Pro-Women
$60 B
$50 C/D/
$40 Juniors
$35 Annual Member Fee

FORMAT:
9-Ball: Double Elimination. Race to 7 or 6 on winners side race to 6 or 7 on loser side (base on size of the field).

ADDED:
$1,000 Added
Based on 50 player field

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about weekly tourneys on the weekends? Are most of the tourneys on big tables or bar boxes? I have heard drexline billiards is a good place to play. are there any weekly tournies there?

anotherpoolguy

Chembry, I'm jealous you're in Philly. I moved away a couple of years ago. Drexeline is a great place to play. They have a weekly nine ball tournament (can't remember the night) and when I was around they did a yearly straight pool tournament and (maybe) a one pocket tournament. Can't remember the yearly tournaments as well. Drexeline is all full size tables and they have a couple of billiards tables too. That was the only place I ever played, so I can't help you much with other places, but I know there are several around.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drexeline has the most high level players on a regular basis. They have a weekly 9 ball tournament that is $5 entry, every Tuesday at 8:00. Its handicapped. They also have a once a month scratch 9 ball tournament, I think about $20 entry. They are also just starting a weekly or monthly (forget) 8 ball tournament.

Main Line Billiards is also a very nice place to play at. Both rooms are very nice, and well kept. GC's and simonis in both rooms. You should check them both out.

For larger regional events played in the area, follow the Mezz Tour. It has stops in Drexeline, and Main Line Billiards, in the Philly area.

If you are a player, you should make friends with the regulars at both places. Its not like it was 10 years ago, when you could walk into any room and find 10 regulars you could match up with. Today, you often have to call people to come play you.

Best of luck.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep - Drexeline is the place to play. Bob Maidhoff is the owner and a damn good player too. Good weekly tourneys and action if you want it. They also have two 7' Diamonds.

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information!! Looks like I will be stopping in and checking out drexline, once the softball season is over.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Mezz schedule says that the next weekend event at Drexeline is next month.

http://www.mezztour.com/schedule.htm

Drexeline has a weekly Tuesday night handicap tournament that has been running for about 22 years. $5 entry and loser pays table time for the match.
You will come in, and they will rate you and adjustments might be made if they rated you too high or low during the tournament, as they don't want you stealing and never coming back.
It would probably take a couple weeks to get you pegged at your proper speed, so be prepared for that as some people come in and have a fit when they are obviously rated wrong and stealing as a result, and get moved.

They are currently having their fall 9 ball series, where it's scratch 9ball tournaments the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, where part of the entry fee goes towards the series finale, and you have to play in X amount of tournaments to qualify for the final event. (nice prizefund)

And they just started a Wednesday night 8ball tournament that runs every other week.
I think this is the "on" week for that one, but i am not sure.

You can call them for more details, 610-259-9144.
OR you can just stop in as they have the information for the 9ball series, and the 8ball tournaments, printed on flyers at the counter.

Also, they have 2 daytime specials for table time during the week.
9am to noon for $5, and noon till 6pm for $10.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz schedule says that the next weekend event at Drexeline is next month.

http://www.mezztour.com/schedule.htm

Drexeline has a weekly Tuesday night handicap tournament that has been running for about 22 years. $5 entry and loser pays table time for the match.
You will come in, and they will rate you and adjustments might be made if they rated you too high or low during the tournament, as they don't want you stealing and never coming back.
It would probably take a couple weeks to get you pegged at your proper speed, so be prepared for that as some people come in and have a fit when they are obviously rated wrong and stealing as a result, and get moved.

They are currently having their fall 9 ball series, where it's scratch 9ball tournaments the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, where part of the entry fee goes towards the series finale, and you have to play in X amount of tournaments to qualify for the final event. (nice prizefund)

And they just started a Wednesday night 8ball tournament that runs every other week.
I think this is the "on" week for that one, but i am not sure.

You can call them for more details, 610-259-9144.
OR you can just stop in as they have the information for the 9ball series, and the 8ball tournaments, printed on flyers at the counter.

Also, they have 2 daytime specials for table time during the week.
9am to noon for $5, and noon till 6pm for $10.

Hope this helps.

Thats great info. Thanks. I do have a question for the mezz tour. I saw from their website that the entry fee is based on ratings. Is the tournament handicapped or do they have separate brackets for each divison?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Thats great info. Thanks. I do have a question for the mezz tour. I saw from their website that the entry fee is based on ratings. Is the tournament handicapped or do they have separate brackets for each divison?

One scratch tournament, one tournament chart for everyone. No separate groups. No handicap.
Ratings are for the staggered entry fee only.