Weekly tournament /B&R jackpot ideas wanted

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to start a weekly tournament with a break and run jackpot at a small bar (3 tables). Looking to expect a 16-32 player field (especially when the jackpot gets high).

I need a quick and dirty tourney format that will allow everything to run fast (folks around here don't want to be out all night). The break and run jackpot will be the main draw, with the stipulation that you must have entered the previous week's tournament to be eligible to enter it.

Thinking $10 gets you tourney entry and 1 BnR entry. Additional BnR entries $5 each.

Will be running this on a night when the bar is usually dead, to increase bar business. Possibly start the BnR off with a $100 bar gift certificate. (Or 50 wings, etc.)

Any cool tourney format options/ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BnR would be more popular with cash, I could be wrong but how popular will a 100 bar gift card be ? Is the Bar a very popular spot ?

What do you plan on hosting 8 or 9 ball ?

Where i play has about 35 + people weekly and the format is race to 3 loser break no three foul 9 ball and it goes really fast.

Get raffle tickets let them buy as many as they want, put the entries in a bucket and let a random person pick the winning ticket. Scratch the entry fee as one BnR Entry, everybody that wants to be in the BnR pot should have to pay an additional fee that will help beef up the pot faster. The place i go has the pot at over a 100 dollars a ball right now.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to protect the regulars whose funds build the pot, from people coming by to steal your pot.

I hate it when the pot gets stolen.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just about all the places here is three weeks in a row to get be able to enter the pot. This is a very good idea as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BnR would be more popular with cash, I could be wrong but how popular will a 100 bar gift card be ? Is the Bar a very popular spot ?

What do you plan on hosting 8 or 9 ball ?

Where i play has about 35 + people weekly and the format is race to 3 loser break no three foul 9 ball and it goes really fast.

Get raffle tickets let them buy as many as they want, put the entries in a bucket and let a random person pick the winning ticket. Scratch the entry fee as one BnR Entry, everybody that wants to be in the BnR pot should have to pay an additional fee that will help beef up the pot faster. The place i go has the pot at over a 100 dollars a ball right now.

The BnR would definitely be cash, was just thinking of something to get it started. One factor at this bar is that the tables are owned by a vending company, so it's $1/game. Some players feel that they're wasting the extra balls playing 9 ball over 8 ball

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BnR would definitely be cash, was just thinking of something to get it started. One factor at this bar is that the tables are owned by a vending company, so it's $1/game. Some players feel that they're wasting the extra balls playing 9 ball over 8 ball

Player A pays ever other game.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something to protect the regulars whose funds build the pot, from people coming by to steal your pot.

Thanks guys, will definitely build in at least last week or two participation required to enter the BnR. There's also a spot close by where the BnR is 10 ball, and you don't get credit for balls on the break until a ball is legally pocketed.
Then, if you miss a shot, all winnings are forfeited. So you either run them all or quit early with what you have. This pot was pushing $7000 recently.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, will definitely build in at least last week or two participation required to enter the BnR. There's also a spot close by where the BnR is 10 ball, and you don't get credit for balls on the break until a ball is legally pocketed.
Then, if you miss a shot, all winnings are forfeited. So you either run them all or quit early with what you have. This pot was pushing $7000 recently.

Good luck.

And I recommend keeping that "Must make a called shot" requirement.

Without that you have (1) consideration, (2) chance and (3) prize--not OK

The required act of skill at least complicates things...

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member

a B&R pot is like a lottery, not some private fund only regulars can access. anybody that pays the entry should be able to collect.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
One of the most successful B&R pots in my city is 10ball. You have to make a ball on the break, Each ball is worth a 10th of the pot and a player can quit anytime and collect for the balls he's sank.

Or....

He can let it all ride and try shoot the next lowest numbered ball, if he misses he gets nothing.

The pool is capped at $1000 and when it gets full they run another pot so your entry that day is for any of the B&R pots that are active as long as you get drawn.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a B&R pot is like a lottery, not some private fund only regulars can access. anybody that pays the entry should be able to collect.

I don't agree. You get people that put 20-50 in weekly for months, then some road dog hears it is thousands and steals it.

You like that story?