Weird things players do .....

Greg M

I've seen a lot of American-style pool players "pump" their cue with a closed bridge in mid-air before getting down on the shot. Always looked strange to me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen a lot of American-style pool players "pump" their cue with a closed bridge in mid-air before getting down on the shot. Always looked strange to me.
That has been mentioned above as "air stroking". Pool players do not have a monopoly on that idiosyncrasy.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
To join your earlier point and this one......

If I showed up to a pool hall with all this crap on my hands I could name the price of my game. (I would then lose all of my money).
This reminded me of Tin Cup!
View attachment 608153View attachment 608152

I have no idea how anyone can play this game with their fingers wrapped up to resemble clubs, and there is no doubt that this club fingered guy can play!!!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think the natural finger twitchers have no real control over it. The self-trained finger twitchers are something else.
I was thinking to incorporate a bridge finger twitch into my game, Carlo Biado plays pretty sporty and that finger is twitching on every shot. :) :)

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the natural finger twitchers have no real control over it. The self-trained finger twitchers are something else.
Exactly. Too funny.

Dave Grau is a fantastic player in NY. He's a natural finger twitcher. Seen several guys try to emulate him along with the twitching...just not with the same results.

No substitute for hard work and raw talent.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Chalking up when you are exiting the table on your way to your chair is about the stupidest habit I’ve ever seen. For most decent players, chalking up is the very beginning of their pre-shot routine.
Its especially annoying when you as the incoming player have to wait for them to finish chalking up before they go sit in their chair. :mad::mad: That just makes me try harder to make sure that they don't get back to the table.

BlueRaider

Registered
We always here about the importance of the pre-shot routine, stay down, don't jump up after the shot...

But there is this guy on one of the teams I play that boldly defies all conventionalities. He just walks up and shoots. After ball contact his cue swings up followed by his whole body in a crazy contortion. It's like watching Happy Gilmore shoot pool. Stay back or you could loose an eye. It is such a wild and seemingly out of control shot process, but he is remarkably accurate.
I used to play with an older guy who was essentially a "max-level banger" in that he was very accurate but had zero cue ball control or sense of pattern play.

He had two incredible-to-witness quirks to his game: his backstroke was either nonexistent, or so fast it couldn't be perceived. He did no warm-up strokes and would suddenly spear the cue ball. Then he would wildly jump up off the shot as if the cue ball had sent a jolt of electricity into his cue and by extension his body. And yet somehow he made long, tough shots with startling consistency like that.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I used to play with an older guy who was essentially a "max-level banger" in that he was very accurate but had zero cue ball control or sense of pattern play.

He had two incredible-to-witness quirks to his game: his backstroke was either nonexistent, or so fast it couldn't be perceived. He did no warm-up strokes and would suddenly spear the cue ball. Then he would wildly jump up off the shot as if the cue ball had sent a jolt of electricity into his cue and by extension his body. And yet somehow he made long, tough shots with startling consistency like that.
Yes he is like that except he still has control of where the cue ball goes and it works for long shots, any cut, banks/kicks... walk up, shoot, convulse, ball goes in, jump into the next shot.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Some mentioned things players do that annoy them. When I used to play a lot of straight pool, guys who could not get the score right. It could consist of hours constantly having to discuss what the score is.

One pocket as well. I used to play one guy I had to take that rack and put my balls in it on a seating table like a corral. If I didn't they would get stolen. I always liked the beads best.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no idea how anyone can play this game with their fingers wrapped up to resemble clubs, and there is no doubt that this club fingered guy can play!!!
Lassiter had a very strange way of shooting a left handed shot. I wonder if it's on video anywhere. This comment made me think of it. He would place his right hand upside down (back of the hand) in a fist on the table. He would then make a little circle with his thumb and index finger and shoot through that. That was his bridge. I never saw anyone else shoot like that.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Lassiter had a very strange way of shooting a left handed shot. I wonder if it's on video anywhere. This comment made me think of it. He would place his right hand upside down (back of the hand) in a fist on the table. He would then make a little circle with his thumb and index finger and shoot through that. That was his bridge. I never saw anyone else shoot like that.
Yes, there is a picture of him doing it in his book.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Trying to make an off hand bridge is probably the biggest problem I have trying to shoot off handed.