West system permacote

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I spray clear over the epoxy. I use U-POL S2085. Sprayed with a A.N.I R150 gun. 0.8mm nozzle, I might switch to 1.0mm

I missed something I guess. If you are spraying Auto Clear, what is the need to search for clear epoxy?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed something I guess. If you are spraying Auto Clear, what is the need to search for clear epoxy?

To penetrate the wood and fill all the small gaps. So the epoxy works as a sealer, so the clear coat has a good surface to stick to.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To penetrate the wood and fill all the small gaps. So the epoxy works as a sealer, so the clear coat has a good surface to stick to.

Well sealer is much easier to work with than epoxy for sealing, and auto clear will stick to wood just fine if prepped correctly.

Just trying to understand the logic in this.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

What auto clear do you use that sticks to exotic woods ?

What sealer do you use that is crystal clear and thick enough to fill up the pits in woods like purpleheart or wenge ?

Auto clears do not like pity surface. They are sprayed on painted surface that have been fine sanded . Rough surface creates orange peel.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well sealer is much easier to work with than epoxy for sealing, and auto clear will stick to wood just fine if prepped correctly.

Just trying to understand the logic in this.

If I where to just use auto clear, I would have to spray 20 coats or so and san between every other layer, and I still would run the risk of the paint chipping and it not being even. Even a quality sanding sealer does not seal the wood to such a degree that the thin clear coat would not seep into the wood.
Some woods are coarser than others, wenge like Joey mentioned is a prime example.
Also some woods like olivewood is very oily and paint want really stick to it.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Just don't try Solarez. :grin-square:
Stinky and thick.
Shrinks and cracks.

hahaha.......... what are you talking about???? I have done 40 cues with Solarez........ it never shrinks......... it never cracks...... and it never yellows...........

Don't give advice on something you obviously know nothing about........

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hahaha.......... what are you talking about???? I have done 40 cues with Solarez........ it never shrinks......... it never cracks...... and it never yellows...........

Kim
The fumes are pretty bad, even with good ventilation, and the smell lingers for hours, how do you cope with that?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I where to just use auto clear, I would have to spray 20 coats or so and san between every other layer, and I still would run the risk of the paint chipping and it not being even. Even a quality sanding sealer does not seal the wood to such a degree that the thin clear coat would not seep into the wood.
Some woods are coarser than others, wenge like Joey mentioned is a prime example.
Also some woods like olivewood is very oily and paint want really stick to it.

Oh,,,,,,,,, ok.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Kim

That's funny.
Solarez even says they are low-shrinkage. They are not claiming they NEVER shrink.
You've only been using it for less than 2 years.
It's so good yet you still use epoxy under it ?
Yes, they crack a lot faster compared to slow drying epoxy and auto clear.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
That's funny.
Solarez even says they are low-shrinkage. They are not claiming they NEVER shrink.

The only issues of cracking I have heard about from searches when I was first looking at Solarez, were on fishing lures that get bashed into rocks, piers, etc. on a daily basis and improperly prepped surfboards. The other causes are due to: Improper prep of the surface....and/or improper cure, (not following the video instructions), or using too strong of UV wattage and exposing it for too long so that the cue (or whatever it's on) actually gets hot....then the cooling of it can cause cracking or lifting/lack of adhesion. This is especially true for the application of the end grain sealer that is recommended to be used with the finish. As with any finish, There is ALWAYS a big learning curve, Just trying it a few times and calling it junk because you haven't learned the 'curve' of it yet, isn't really a fair assesment, IMO.
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
That's funny.

I use epoxy under it because epoxy sticks to almost anything............. the adhesion of solarez on phenolic and plastic can sometimes be questionable.... the 1618 epoxy cures that.............. I have never seen any shrinkage. what so ever........ how ever there is about a 12 hour post cure where it does get a little harder ............ It absolutely does not ever crack.......... I don't know where you heard that............. there are those that claim it never hardens or is sticky............. they just don't know how to apply it............. PM me if you want to know.................. this is the absolute best non sprayed finish you can use on cues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The fumes are pretty bad, even with good ventilation, and the smell lingers for hours, how do you cope with that?

I apply it on a spinner on one end of my shop........ I have a small 12 in exhaust fan in my door ........... If I stay just 3 feet up wind of it I cannot smell it............. as soon as it cures........ it no longer smells............ there is a new low VOC version ....... I have not tried it

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Solarez is the clear coat on surf boards all over the world........ they are in direct sun light and submerged in sea water............ they get stepped on and beat on the rocks and sand..

IT DOES NOT EVER SHRINK OR CRACK.......................OR YELLOW

Kim