What’s the difference between a Merry Widow and a Plain Jane cue ?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Merry widow does not have a splice or points of any kind.
Original (BBC) merry widows had a wrap.
Modern often have solid wood of different color(species) in the wrap area.
Tend to be a way to feature really nice natural wood pieces with minimal decoration other than sometimes ringwork.

Per the direct Q in your title, some seem to use the terms interchangeably.
However, to me, based on original in BBC catalogs, a Merry has distinctive sections of forearm, handle, buttsleeve, with a handle area that looks like a wrap, whether solid wood, or leather.

Then again i'm just an occasional amateur maker solely of FS sneakies. :)

smt

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Merry widow does not have a splice or points of any kind.
Original (BBC) merry widows had a wrap.
Modern often have solid wood of different color(species) in the wrap area.
Tend to be a way to feature really nice natural wood pieces with minimal decoration other than sometimes ringwork.

Per the direct Q in your title, some seem to use the terms interchangeably.
However, to me, based on original in BBC catalogs, a Merry has distinctive sections of forearm, handle, buttsleeve, with a handle area that looks like a wrap, whether solid wood, or leather.

Then again i'm just an occasional amateur maker solely of FS sneakies. :)

smt
Weren't they one-piece butts too ? Viking merry widows were .

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Merry Widow is an original Brunswick catalog cue, made of a solid piece of wood with a silk wrap. It was based on a theatrical play that was incredibly popular at the time. Think, "Who shot JR?" popular. Everyone talked about it, it was huge

Naturally, Brunswick latched on to the Popularity and came up with The Merry Widow Cue.

A Plain Jane is a simple cue of any construction, typically with no points or inlays

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weren't they one-piece butts too ? Viking merry widows were .

Believe you are correct. I never handled an original.
However, to me, the style ought to at least look like it has a wrap to actually qualify as a MW.
I don't think a plain, no points, never-wrapped stick qualifies. That's a plain Jane.
OTOH, modern makers have gone to making sticks that use 3 sections of wood where the handle section contrasts, to get the look, without a wrap.
Being a simple cue, with the look, maybe they qualify if the maker chooses to call them such.

I personally don't like shooting with a wrap but that is my opinion regarding the moniker, if it is going to be tossed about. :)

Again, this is from a miniscule production amateur FS sneakie only builder. :)

smt

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If iI decide to add those terms to my book i would probably say a Plain Jane is a cue with no wrap, points, inlays or fancy ring work. A Merry Widow is a one piece butt cue with or without a wrap, with or without fancy rings. If it does not have a wrap or any decorations it could also be a called a Plain Jane.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Think the term Merry Widow/Plan Jane is interchangeable. Cue with NO POINTS. Or pointless Cue, not worth getting upset over, something very plane, or could be beautiful.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are you people talking about?
Everybody knows this:
Merry Widow is a widow whose husband passed and left her a huge insurance policy.
Plain Jane is that girl that never tries to look good.

• Haha