What annoys the most about some players?

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigRed said:
5. Players that have their hot girlfriends purposely sit right next to the table in a very low cut shirt in an attempt to distract me...... and it usually works

That one's easy enough to cure... right after you fire the money ball in the pocket, ask look straight at her, don't take your eyes off of her, but tilt your head slightly towards him and ask "How much do you rent that ride out for? looks like I'm gonna be up pretty good after this set." He'll either hit you or have her move... or... he might just rent her to you if he's short on cash!

Ya know, there is one thing I do that does drive a couple of players crazy. Of course there's usually chalk on the table, but I keep the piece I'm using in my pocket. While I'm surveying the table, I move the chalk around from place to place on the cushion, then usually right before I drop to the table, I have grab the closest piece to me and put it on the rail cap just to the right of where I'll be lined up for the shot. I didn't really notice I did it until my GF videotaped a match I was in, then I mentioned it to Darryl while we were watching the match, and he said, "Yeah, you do it every time... drives people nuts!" Oh, well, nothing intentional, just a subconscious thing...

Later,
Bob

I hate guys who think it's OK to cut loose with a barrage of farts while over a shot. They seem to think it's funny as hell watching one gag on their odoriferous fumes. :mad:

BlackDragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like players spitting when I'm shooting.
I don't like players saying 'very good' when I didn't get position.
I don't like players who take the chalk.
I don't like players cussing over their shot when I'm shooting.
I kinda don't like players putting their cigarettes or cellphones on the rail then I have to move them when shooting.
For some strange reason, some players zip their pants when I'm shooting a key shot. Rather strange.
Nothing really annoys me anymore though.
Well just that player who says how great it is for him, when my shots don't come off. Though I like the stunned silence that can happen ,when it happens for me.:cool:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
adammcnatt said:
I hate players that chalk for extended periods of time after each shot. Coincidentally, while doing so, they are the ones that consistently prodice that high-pitch noise that brings your game down to the level of a ballbanger (if in doubt about that horrible place, see the thread "You might be a ballbanger if...")
Do you guys have similar experiences?

Basically, its simple. Treat me the way you like to be treated, and then "its all good".

CHIEF1

Registered
BRKNRUN said:
In what time frame??? I know one player at the big tournament they had at Shooters at Riverside that wore the same clothes both days, and looke like he did not take them off when he went to sleep;) :D
thats nothing,I new a guy that was atop player in socal,that eventually became homeless,but would show up the the ph form time to time and play for money getting backed of course and take the money down,sad thing is he wouldnt use it for a shower

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cell Phones!!!

Talking while shooting???

Taking a call while I'm shooting.

Ken

pillage6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CHIEF1 said:
thats nothing,I new a guy that was atop player in socal,that eventually became homeless,but would show up the the ph form time to time and play for money getting backed of course and take the money down,sad thing is he wouldnt use it for a shower

Are you talking about Cecil Tugwell or Chico Williams?

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I second (or third?) the whole shower bit. *shudder*

That's been the only real thing that's ever bothered me, as far as I can recall.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this guy that doesn't brush his teeth, ever it appears, and when he talks to you, he gets within inches of your face. I stay away from him and make it very clear that I not only don't want to play him but I don't want him to talk to me either. He has a hygiene problem too - the double whammy!

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate it when someone craps a ball in, and then has to tell you and the whole world how lucky they are.......we already know....shut up and shoot.

I used to be more friendly when playing in a match or gambling, then I played a guy who never showed any emotion, kinda like Efren, and that bothered the hell outta me. So I started to play that way also, and it works. I never realized how much energy it took to chit chat, or whine and complain. Now I'm very even tempered at the table, good or bad rolls. When I leave, now thats another story alltogether.

Gerry

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I hate it when someone craps a ball in, and then has to tell you and the whole world how lucky they are.......we already know....shut up and shoot.

I used to be more friendly when playing in a match or gambling, then I played a guy who never showed any emotion, kinda like Efren, and that bothered the hell outta me. So I started to play that way also, and it works. I never realized how much energy it took to chit chat, or whine and complain. Now I'm very even tempered at the table, good or bad rolls. When I leave, now thats another story alltogether.

Gerry

I do the same thing Gerry. I've had people say to me, "Smile! Aren't you having fun?" I didn't know how to answer thier comment but my brother answered them for me by saying, "Thats his game face, He won't talk much either." I don't talk at all accept to say, "Safe or foul."

Last night in a team event for $2000 one particular opposing player is known to pull every shark he can. He's a good player but heres the list of things he does during a match as examples:

1) If you take any extra time figuring out a shot he walks up to the table and says, "What are you going to do? Play safe? What's the problem just shoot the 2 with draw!"

2) If you play a shot with a small position zone and get it. He rolls his eyes up and mutters "Damn you get all the rolls."

3) He will call a foul where no foul occured to argue, then completely back down.

4) He will foul and deny it, argue it, then completly back down.

He tried these ploys on all of us last night. It worked twice for him. (But in the end we took first place.) So on one particular shot it was a real tossup of playing a difficult safety or a difficult shot. He starts with line one above.

I say nothing and do not acknowledge. He gets louder and closer till he's standing beside me. I acknowledge him by smiling at him and walking around the table for another view. He says, "Are you gonna say something? Are you gonna answer me?" Long silence. Someone from the crowd, "Does he have too? Sit back and watch!"

"I want to know what he's going to play', he says throwing his hands up! (By the way the shot at hand had no chance for a foul to be called.)

The longer he ranted the longer I took. I told myself, "He is doing this for a reason, what is the reason? Fear, he cant control the table when I'm on it. I need to wait and sort this all out till I'm actually ready to shoot the shot and am sure I am calmed down.

The commotion caused a ref to come over. He stopped his tirade. The ref and him talk the ref says, " Lets wait and see." I played the safe. He got a good hit. I got out.

His game went to crap in his next couple of games as he was still fuming.

Last edited:

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
renard said:
Last night in a team event for $2000 one particular opposing player is known to pull every shark he can. He's a good player but heres the list of things he does during a match as examples:

etc, etc

Isn't that just the *best*? I know it's bad, but I kinda enjoy watching other people just self-destruct like that - those folks are their own worst enemies. And usually, those are the people who have that kind of karma coming their way to start with. You rarely see respectful, sportsman-like people act like that, or just implode such as your opponent did.

And congrats for taking first! :)

To the above poster on having the "game face" going - that's something I need to work on myself. I've lost matches due to being too chatty with my opponent - usually when it's a friend in a league match. There's this one guy who I've played a few times in the three years I've been in this one league - I cannot remember EVER beating him in a match, despite knowing I'm a better shot - and I always lose to this guy because we're laughing it up back and forth the whole time, and I don't take the match seriously enough. I swear, next time I play this guy... no talkies, just focus on the game! :D

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
ScottW said:
Isn't that just the *best*? I know it's bad, but I kinda enjoy watching other people just self-destruct like that - those folks are their own worst enemies. And usually, those are the people who have that kind of karma coming their way to start with. You rarely see respectful, sportsman-like people act like that, or just implode such as your opponent did.

And congrats for taking first! :)

To the above poster on having the "game face" going - that's something I need to work on myself. I've lost matches due to being too chatty with my opponent - usually when it's a friend in a league match. There's this one guy who I've played a few times in the three years I've been in this one league - I cannot remember EVER beating him in a match, despite knowing I'm a better shot - and I always lose to this guy because we're laughing it up back and forth the whole time, and I don't take the match seriously enough. I swear, next time I play this guy... no talkies, just focus on the game! :D

Thank You!

I read a book by Bob Francher where he discusses just how the mind works. Verbalizing and playing pool do not go hand and hand.They actually work against each other. Some other older players already knew this as they have suggested playing a way to improve your game by playing "mum pool." As in, "mums the word."

After the match I'll talk you head off, not before, not during.

By the way a lot of people were cheering for us because of him and his antics. We recieved congradulations from quite a few people:D

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuejoey said:
Teenagers who come in and take a pack of cigarettes and start smacking them in their hand...:mad:

These are the same guys who dont just gently shake their Snapple as no one will notice-they pound on it for ten minutes with the heel of their hand "look everyone over here-I'm pounding my snapple" Sure sign of a jerk.