What are the characteristics of a well ran league?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanted to ask everyone, what you feel make a great league? It can be how efficiently it is with time, directors giving equal attention to all players regardless of skill level, payouts, etc..

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My brother and I run our local BCA league. It's just a small town. Have 9, 4 man teams currently.

I have a captains meeting 3 weeks before the fall session starts. We discuss the previous session.... what worked well, and what didnt. I offer suggestions for changes.

When it comes down to it, the captains decide on the structure of the league. As in.. will it be rounds won based, or points based. Handicap or not? This year I suggested we add 2 dollars each for a break and run, and a perfect match fund. They liked the idea and adopted it. I pretty much go over every option that the League Management System allows me control over.

The Captains decide how they want the league to operate, and that's the way I do it... within the rules of course.

No one can bitch about how the league operates because they set it up. But, no matter how well it is set up or run, you will NEVER be able to please everyone. But I can keep the majority happy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm there to play, not sit around. You should be in a game at least half the time.

The schedule and rules have to be clear. The TD has to keep things moving. The room has to maintain the equipment well.

The money situation has to be clear.

I am not interested in going to Vegas but that's important to a lot of people.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the price you pay is worth the value you get, play. Otherwise, don't play. If you can get better value elsewhere, do that. There are all kinds of components to what a player values, and a good league manager creates a mix that keeps their audience happy. It's true that you can't please all the people all the time (very hard to please all the people even one of the times), but you should be able to please each one some of the time. If there's anyone you can't ever please, it means they are not getting value and are probably diminishing the value others get, so you should have a conversation with that person about moving on.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pace of play is not an issue and league equipment isn’t an issue, i.e., clean tables & balls
The league operator should make sure the facility offers and maintains decent equipment.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Having a meeting at the beginning of the season and defining smoke breaks.

I do not smoke, but it sure seems that a lot of people still do and they go to their car or outside.

Multiply this times say 3-5 visits a night and you can see how it drags things on.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ACS was the best league I have ever been involved in. The handicap system allowed everyone, including pros, to play fairly. The handicaps were adjusted every week and I never heard anyone complain about that. In every way it was a great league.. Wish it would come to the Southeast!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In our league, we have 2 person teams, if you need to smoke, you do it when its your partners turn up, there is no smoke breaks. You better be quick. We really don't have problems with it.
Watched a WPBA event in town a couple years back, it was eye opening, all they did was take smoke breaks. They were really hooked on their smokes. Really seemed like they were there to socialize as much as play pool. Could this be the real difference between men and women in pool?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The ACS was the best league I have ever been involved in. The handicap system allowed everyone, including pros, to play fairly. The handicaps were adjusted every week and I never heard anyone complain about that. In every way it was a great league.. Wish it would come to the Southeast!
You can reach out to them about getting leagues sanctioned under ACS.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can reach out to them about getting leagues sanctioned under ACS.
Oh I know that but sadly here the apa is all people are interested in. The good players are all in the masters division and the rest are not interested in highly skilled pool. They just want to bang some balls and get drunk with others just like themselves. It is what it is...

So I play a local cash league. The payout for the first place team will be 10 large...Can't recall what the money is for
2 -4 place off the top of my head..

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have 14 - 3 man teams and play BCA rules one night a week. Teams play off a 14 team schedule once a week, every Tuesday night. Play takes approximatelly 2 hours for all teams to complete their matches. 100% of the take goes back to the teams. We pay the top 5 teams a percentage and the top shooter. Format is games won, followed by points in case of a tie. Teams 6 thru 14 receive $150 back at the end of the session. Everyone wants to play so this session went through 3 rounds (39 weeks). Lots of fun.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have 14 - 3 man teams and play BCA rules one night a week. Teams play off a 14 team schedule once a week, every Tuesday night. Play takes approximatelly 2 hours for all teams to complete their matches. 100% of the take goes back to the teams. We pay the top 5 teams a percentage and the top shooter. Format is games won, followed by points in case of a tie. Teams 6 thru 14 receive $150 back at the end of the session. Everyone wants to play so this session went through 3 rounds (39 weeks). Lots of fun.
How do you make any money for your effort if you pay back 100%?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you make any money for your effort if you pay back 100%?
I take that to mean, "Why do the league officials volunteer their time for no pay?"

That's often a large problem. You can find people who are willing to do volunteer work in lots of situations. The problem is that if they lose interest or their life moves in a different direction, the organization disappears. I used to play in a bar league that seemed to be run by volunteers, but I never saw the books so I don't know what the financials were. I have run leagues where I either volunteered my time or my weekly entry was free.

The APA is the other end of the spectrum. I think a major reason for its success is that the league operator can make money -- very good money if he does a good job. He's going to stick around and work to build participation in his franchise area.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having a meeting at the beginning of the season and defining smoke breaks.

I do not smoke, but it sure seems that a lot of people still do and they go to their car or outside.

Multiply this times say 3-5 visits a night and you can see how it drags things on.
I don’t smoke either-never have. But that’s a great point.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I don’t smoke either-never have. But that’s a great point.
Heck, we get people who go out for smoke breaks, then go out for SMOKE breaks.

I know this isn't league, but I've grown up spoiled with the Midwest Bar Table, and how well it is scheduled. You know exactly how much time you have to go to your room, smoke, get your hair cut, whatever.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A way to increase your prize money at the end of your league, is to have a 50/50 raffle every league night. Half to nights winner, other half to league ending prize money. Adds some serious money to year end payouts.