What can I do to help an up and comer?

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for your help. I have repped everyone down to my last reply but can't do anymore today until I get reloaded.

Sarah, I will definitely have him get in touch with you, and Scott, thanks for the info on BCA vs VNEA. You're all angels!
g-angel.gif

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I would take him to the US Open, keep him in school, keep him away from the 'stuff' that all pool rooms/bars have going on....and make him realize that education comes first.

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy him some golf clubs!!!!!!!!!

Golf is a joke next too pool, if he has so much talent that he is a "A" speed pool player at 14 hes crazy not to take up golf. But lets say he is crazy (like the rest of us) and really wants to play pool well he can learn one pocket from Mike Z. (he knows a little) and 9 ball from Dan Louie (hes a ok player). I'd say that about sums it up. You can set it all up I think you know those 2 well enough... And for my great advise I simply ask for 4 -10 or the 4 out and the breaks of course :D:D:p. Not from you silly, from the kid...

P.S. The number 1 thing you (he) wants to avoid is BURN OUT, even if he just got a driver hitting golf balls is not only fun its a great stress reliever... Especially if you name the balls right befor you hit um, most of the time I name mine Jack If I'm real stressed I'll name um Mr. Madden :D:D:D. Its ok he loves me, And his wife says everything is his fault anyway :p

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Golf is a joke next too pool, if he has so much talent that he is a "A" speed pool player at 14 hes crazy not to take up golf. But lets say he is crazy (like the rest of us) and really wants to play pool well he can learn one pocket from Mike Z. (he knows a little) and 9 ball from Dan Louie (hes a ok player). I'd say that about sums it up. You can set it all up I think you know those 2 well enough... And for my great advise I simply ask for 4 -10 or the 4 out and the breaks of course :D:D:p. Not from you silly, from the kid...

P.S. The number 1 thing you (he) wants to avoid is BURN OUT, even if he just got a driver hitting golf balls is not only fun its a great stress reliever... Especially if you name the balls right befor you hit um, most of the time I name mine Jack If I'm real stressed I'll name um Mr. Madden :D:D:D. Its ok he loves me, And his wife says everything is his fault anyway :p

LOL, poor Jack! If Chris's talent could be turned to golf at this age, he would probably turn out to be a millionaire. But he definitely loves pool and wants to do everything he can to be the best.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and input.

Last edited:

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
What an awesome group/family we have here on AZB! I have had offers from mentors, lessons from Scott Lee, and equipment for Chris. I am just overwhelmed by all the love and caring shown on here.

I would give everyone mad reps again if I could. Let me just say, you are all the best!
5.gif

Banks

Banned
learning

One thing that interested me, which he would do well from taking a look at, is: From what I've read about a lot of the older greats, many of them ran into health problems. Sure, he could do really well for himself, but in a heartbeat he could be using up his money on health problems (not to mention other problems). I've always tried telling myself that even if I do get to a point where I'm doing well, I'd make sure that I had a job that gave some kind of health insurance. Don't just help him learn to be a great player, but to also be a smart player and a smart person.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Hey, it's a NEW YEAR, well almost....

How about an update?

JoeyA

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A step up!

He already has the bug and he is too honest!

What a great reply! We must be making progress when a ,"Pool Player," is considered more honest than a politician. Or, on second thought, that might not be so profound. EVERYBODY is more honest then a politician! :mad:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I new some Upandcomers. They lived down the block from us, when I was a kid. They thought they was better than us, those Upandcomers.

A word of advice from Uncle Steamer. Help the kid out, but don't screw with his stroke. That same advice was given to a high shool golf coach by a young mans father, just before the son was to join the golf team. The father's name was Bill Stewart. His son's name was Payne.
And now you know the rest of the story.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
only thing I have to add is if you get involved with the kid is to watch for burn out.

Best natural player I've ever seen, plays about 10 racks a year now. As a kid he played every day. Makes me sad to see him because he has some serious talent with a pool cue. Just doesn't enjoy playing after years of playing as a kid.