What can You do for pool?

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to a friend who lives in North Dakota and we were discussing the fun things we would do if he wins the $1.4B lotto (or whatever it is now).
The topic of pool came up and we talked about some fun ideas of what could be done with that kind of money.

Since the likelihood of any of us winning the big one is so small it got me thinking about what I could do for the game/sport right now, in my current circumstance.

I know its been discussed before but its a new year and I thought it might be fun to think of some things that we can all do to promote pool in our own small way.

I know I have a table in my basement and a lot of neighbors that I don't really talk to much. I'm going to make a point of inviting some of them over to play a few games some time. Maybe I can get a few more people hooked on the game that I love.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to a friend who lives in North Dakota and we were discussing the fun things we would do if he wins the $1.4B lotto (or whatever it is now).
The topic of pool came up and we talked about some fun ideas of what could be done with that kind of money.

Since the likelihood of any of us winning the big one is so small it got me thinking about what I could do for the game/sport right now, in my current circumstance.

I know its been discussed before but its a new year and I thought it might be fun to think of some things that we can all do to promote pool in our own small way.

I know I have a table in my basement and a lot of neighbors that I don't really talk to much. I'm going to make a point of inviting some of them over to play a few games some time. Maybe I can get a few more people hooked on the game that I love.

Great idea, djkx1.
Money itself will never cure pool.
The game in the U.S. must evolve and change as it's doing organically.

Introducing pool to others and being a good host does far more than can be measured.
In the end, it's not about pool anyway; its about goodwill to fellow man and woman.
Lord knows we need more of that these days.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea, djkx1.
Money itself will never cure pool.
The game in the U.S. must evolve and change as it's doing organically.

Introducing pool to others and being a good host does far more than can be measured.
In the end, it's not about pool anyway; its about goodwill to fellow man and woman.
Lord knows we need more of that these days.

Amen boogeyman!! As weird as that sounds. LOL :thumbup:

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why should anyone do anything?

No reason really, unless you like to see the game grow and enjoy seeing others experience the same fun that you probably had when you were introduced to the game.

I just thought maybe it would be a good idea to focus on what one can do instead of focusing on the limitations. It's quite obvious though that most people share your feelings both in the pool world and in society in general.

It seems that most people, including myself at times, are more interested in complaining about things rather than coming up with solutions. This thread was simply my feeble effort to take a different approach than I normally would.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No reason really, unless you like to see the game grow and enjoy seeing others experience the same fun that you probably had when you were introduced to the game.

I just thought maybe it would be a good idea to focus on what one can do instead of focusing on the limitations. It's quite obvious though that most people share your feelings both in the pool world and in society in general.

It seems that most people, including myself at times, are more interested in complaining about things rather than coming up with solutions. This thread was simply my feeble effort to take a different approach than I normally would.

I agree and all the negativity on this board gets kind of annoying.

You started thread based on winning the lottery and you get a response "why should anyone do anything".

Like you said, to pay it forward, give back to the game, introduce the game you love to more people. That's why.

You could do nothing, or you could do something purely because it makes you feel good to be generous.

I would do something for pool that affects the general pool public and amateur players. Donate to Billiard Education Foundation, fund a local annual tournament for junior players and low level amateurs, support my local hall and people that introduced me to pool.

It's possible to do some or all of the above on a small level even without winning the lottery.