What does pumping the cue over and over up in the air before their shot do for the pros?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that how the best snooker players do it?

i think he means 90 degrees to the shot line, not bending down 90 degrees. think keith, ortmann or soufi, hip far from the shot line. there are few pro snooker players that stands like that but the current snooker world champion luca brecel actually does in a way. unorthodox but it works for him.

WobblyStroke

Isn't that how the best snooker players do it?
many do play a very square stance but even pool playerswho don't often start aiming while square. I aim square to the shot line (not an error lol....but if line of centers is the way u aim squareyo that makes sense) and aim while stanďing. then keep my eye on my spot and get into my stance with as little head movement as is natural. my air strokes happen as i am stamding square and often as i am getting down.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't read but a small fraction of this thread but I think I know why most air stroke. While finding the shot line they are starting to build the shot in their mind too. The air strokes are never the same speed as even practice strokes are but the tactile feel of the stick sliding through their hand helps build the shot. If you are working on patterns in your mind one part is still registering what the stick feels like.
Hu

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
i think he means 90 degrees to the shot line, not bending down 90 degrees. think keith, ortmann or soufi, hip far from the shot line. there are few pro snooker players that stands like that but the current snooker world champion luca brecel actually does in a way. unorthodox but it works for him.
I'm describing (pool or snooker) standing erect, your chest, hips and feet perpendicular to the line of centers (OB and CB) for best aim/consistent aim before you step into/bend into the full shooting stance.

This pre-shot routine places your head and eyes in the exact same place every time, so if you see the same shot week after week or year after year, you pick out aim/your target consistently strong.

This one move, done consistently, brings up the pocketing percentage for most players.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pumping the cue over and over in the air or "air stroking" serves to piss off people like the OP who don't like it. After reading this thread it seems pretty effective against some people. 😲😲

l used to hold my stick over the table like I was finding kicking or banking lines. I never knew how to. I was just looking busy so I wouldn't get interrupted while I was thinking out the shot. I watched Johnny Archer waggle his stick and work out an eight rail z kick playing me, still the most amazing shot I have seen on a pool table. I didn't want him to know that I didn't know how to tie my shoes!

Hu

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm
I'm describing (pool or snooker) standing erect, your chest, hips and feet perpendicular to the line of centers (OB and CB) for best aim/consistent aim before you step into/bend into the full shooting stance.

This pre-shot routine places your head and eyes in the exact same place every time, so if you see the same shot week after week or year after year, you pick out aim/your target consistently strong.

This one move, done consistently, brings up the pocketing percentage for most players.

Once again, what does air stroking have to do with helping to align your head, body or anything else with whatever line you choose to talk about.

Air stroking is a recent phenomenon that's popped up which some find cool and others find absurd.

Whether it has any value in playing better pool is highly questionable at best.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
What's the point of you pumping that 4 inch killer? To make yourself feel bigger.

Couldn't help it.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Its saber rattling. New rule anyone player that pump strokes more than once is banned.

Its unwanted behavior and should be discouraged.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm

Once again, what does air stroking have to do with helping to align your head, body or anything else with whatever line you choose to talk about.

Air stroking is a recent phenomenon that's popped up which some find cool and others find absurd.

Air stroking in the port arms position is not a recent phenomenon, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Some things I have done/others do when air stroking:

1) Get the feel of the stroke hand grip before changing the cue's angle (in the full stance)

2) Rehearse the approximate speed and follow through of the upcoming stroke (plus you are rehearsing the shot mentally without the tightness/necessary compactness of the cue in the practice stroke, the CB impeding the practice follow through)

3) Set the bridge length with the bridge hand near or exactly where it will clasp the cue stick in the full stance

4) See if there is a sticky or slick spot on the cue stick to be wiped down before the shot

5) Use the cue to ensure the body is facing perpendicular to the line of centers between the CB/OB before bending to the final stance

6) It looks cool to air stroke, dudes! It's the equivalent of Air Guitar/Rock Band for pool!

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm

The Albin O air stroke - prolly nothing practical.
Air stroking the actual shot right over the cue ball OTOH is the best alignment technique there is. You can immediately see any veering off of the stroke, correct it, AND practice the corrected alignment and stroke if necessary.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm

Maybe the "air stroking" shooter is doing it just to get in their opponents head. I often wonder why people will chalk their cue over and over between shots or why others will walk around the table and chalk with every cube of chalk available when chalking once between shots is adequate. The one thing I don't do is let bother me or think about when playing. Just like people setting chalk upside down on the rail, I don't really believe they are that dumb, I think its just a shark move.

WobblyStroke

Perhaps I'm

Not a recent phenomenon. Been present for decades as far as I've seen and I'm sure people have been taking practice swings before their real ones since swinging pool cues became a thing....kinda like practice swings are super common in other sports for a lot of the same reasons. Maybe more are doing it now bc it helps them? It helps me. If one is a rhythm player, you can find that rhythm and timing on air strokes.... on top of all the other things that have already been mentioned.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a recent phenomenon. Been present for decades as far as I've seen and I'm sure people have been taking practice swings before their real ones since swinging pool cues became a thing....kinda like practice swings are super common in other sports for a lot of the same reasons. Maybe more are doing it now bc it helps them? It helps me. If one is a rhythm player, you can find that rhythm and timing on air strokes.... on top of all the other things that have already been mentioned.
Proven fact.
Some people don't have rhythm. Lmao
Sorry... couldn't resist!

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Air stroking in the port arms position is not a recent phenomenon, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Some things I have done/others do when air stroking:

1) Get the feel of the stroke hand grip before changing the cue's angle (in the full stance)

2) Rehearse the approximate speed and follow through of the upcoming stroke (plus you are rehearsing the shot mentally without the tightness/necessary compactness of the cue in the practice stroke, the CB impeding the practice follow through)

3) Set the bridge length with the bridge hand near or exactly where it will clasp the cue stick in the full stance

4) See if there is a sticky or slick spot on the cue stick to be wiped down before the shot

5) Use the cue to ensure the body is facing perpendicular to the line of centers between the CB/OB before bending to the final stance

6) It looks cool to air stroke, dudes! It's the equivalent of Air Guitar/Rock Band for pool!

Ok, so you're back to not answering a direct question.
Doubt that surprises anyone.

Maybe your definition of recent and mine are a little different.
Just guessing but I'd say it started about 20 years ago but it maybe started becoming more prevalent 10 years back.

Of course now it's accelerating
because it's monkey see, monkey do. APA 3's are doing it now. Do you think it helps them?

Strange we don't see Snooker and 3C players doing it.
How in the world can they perform at a high level without it.

WobblyStroke

APA 3's are doing it now. Do you think it helps them?
I think that the less refined your technique is and the less you consciously understand about what you are doing when things click and are working well, the more beneficial air stroking--or complete practice strokes in general--are going to be. APA 3-5s probably get more out of the air stroking than pros do imo.

It doesn't surprise me at all snooker players don't do this given how those strokes work and how their setup and cue contact points help make their stroke. There is no generating power with an arm swing in snooker--or at least very little at the top levels. I don't know much about 3C but if I played it, I'd probably keep my air strokes lol...which I barely ever do when playing snooker.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Ok, so you're back to not answering a direct question.
Doubt that surprises anyone.

Maybe your definition of recent and mine are a little different.
Just guessing but I'd say it started about 20 years ago but it maybe started becoming more prevalent 10 years back.

Of course now it's accelerating
because it's monkey see, monkey do. APA 3's are doing it now. Do you think it helps them?

Strange we don't see Snooker and 3C players doing it.
How in the world can they perform at a high level without it.
I have answered your question several times, which I believe was "Once again, what does air stroking have to do with helping to align your head, body or anything else with whatever line you choose to talk about."

Answer: You can kill two birds checking on your alignment while checking your cue/rehearsing your stroke at the same time, while air stroking.

Your comment re: Snooker and 3C could be correct or perhaps they'd play even better if they air stroked (logically speaking).

I've given five (possible) reasons for air stroking (not everyone does), do you have a factual reason why it harms a player's upcoming shot?