What Game Are U.S Players Best At?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
We use to be the best in 1 hole and some say 14.1. I don't think we are the favorite in anything pool anymore. I never thought I'd see this. Johnnyt

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We use to be the best in 1 hole and some say 14.1. I don't think we are the favorite in anything pool anymore. I never thought I'd see this. Johnnyt

Imagine that.... something in 'Merica that was once a strength, is now a shell of its former glory due to the arrogance and laziness of the American people compared to the rest of the world.

Cause thats never happened before.............. :duck:

Im voting "Red" this election..... Red Forman...... :grin:

Attachments

• 13177323_1289814437714912_8710190233362136409_n.jpg
    13177323_1289814437714912_8710190233362136409_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 687

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It was one event. Didn't Tony C and Danny Smith finish 1/2 at the last one like this at Buffalo Billiards (and Frost in 4th). Didn't SVB take 2nd in the MIH?

Hell, Efren didn't place in this one - maybe he can't play 1p anymore.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
although not as dominant as we once were 1P is our strongest game on the world stage (imo)

SVB is our lone threat in rotation games

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson shaw lol

Jayson shaw .. if he gets his green card n citizenship
Wait a sec, will a green card deem him eligible to play for the us or only a citizenship does ?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
although not as dominant as we once were 1P is our strongest game on the world stage (imo)

I agree SVB is our main threat, but not the favorite anymore in rotation world play.

At 1 hole we are a threat, but far from favorite. Johnnyt

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member

One pocket can't really be considered to have a "world stage". The Filipinos only started to play it because Americans, except Shane, wont gamble with them at 9/10 ball. Outside of the US, you would have better luck finding somebody willing to play disk pool.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!

One pocket can't really be considered to have a "world stage". The Filipinos only started to play it because Americans, except Shane, wont gamble with them at 9/10 ball. Outside of the US, you would have better luck finding somebody willing to play disk pool.

You make a very good point. If the American players would take their lumps and play whoever called them out in 9 Ball or 10 Ball, their games would improve, if the don't it wont be long before they don't rule One Pocket either.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Americans can still be considered the best at bank pool. Other than that, they don't have any noticeable edge in any of the other billiard games.

MalibuMike

Banned
The Championship Game of Billiards, 14.1

No doubt about it when it comes to The Championship Game of Billiards, 14.1, or Straight Pool. US Players are the tops. Its in our blood, just watch the greatest Billiard Movie of all-time, The Hustler, and see how deeply engrained we are in the most skillful of pocket billiard games.

Attachments

• str81.jpg
    str81.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 20160430_152213.jpg
    20160430_152213.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 20160407_182002.jpg
    20160407_182002.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 389
  • js.jpg
    js.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 393
  • js2.jpg
    js2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 401

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt about it when it comes to The Championship Game of Billiards, 14.1, or Straight Pool. US Players are the tops.
Feelings of patriotism/nostalgia are nice and all, but do you have any objective reason to back up this claim?

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/171-the-141-world-tournament/results/

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/304-american-141-straight-pool-championship/results/

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/160-us-open-141-championship/results/

Only American on these lists is John Schmidt in 2012. Germany has a very reasonable claim as the best in straight pool.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody happen to notice that many of the best pool players in the world have decided to immigrate to America?
Pool may be at an ebb right now, like the 50s, but it is still the best country to be a pool player in.

....and watch out for Niels, man's a one-pocket player now.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO and in my ultimate observation, it has come down to training and coaching. The Europeans just train better than the Americans. From fundamentals all the way to constant tournaments against top competition on big tables.

No longer is it just hit a million balls and play big gambling matches to learn the tools of the trade. That just won't cut it compared to the players trained in a billiard academy with a traveling coach on a strict regiment of diet, gym workouts, drills, and tournaments.

The scales were bound to tip the other way, and after a while they did.

It's not a game anymore, it's a sport. If American players aren't willing to play and train as the Euros or Taiwanese then it will be this way for a good long time.

Currently two Americans in the WPA top 50 world rankings. Shane at #10 and Dechaine at #35.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/rankings

Last edited:

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree SVB is our main threat, but not the favorite anymore in rotation world play.

At 1 hole we are a threat, but far from favorite. Johnnyt

I think SVB is the straight favorite in 9 ball 10 ball depending on the format. I don't see people lining up to play him long races for big cash. That is a legitimate format that demonstrates a lot about the talent levels of the players.

If by "world play" you mean playing at the "worlds" tournaments…. then I think Shane is as much as a favorite as anyone else alive currently. Its hard to say someone is the favorite to win that type of an event, but he is certainly in the handful of names that people would predict.

I also think that bank pool is an area that the US would be competitive against the world. In that event we have young players who would be competitive against anybody (people like Skyler or Justin Hall) etc….

1 pocket is certainly a game that our top players are advantaged against the majority of the world, but that may be mostly because of the fact that the majority of the world doesn't play 1 pocket that much etc…

Just my thoughts!

Last edited:

MalibuMike

Banned
Tournament's are rigged! USA ALL THE WAY!

Feelings of patriotism/nostalgia are nice and all, but do you have any objective reason to back up this claim?

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/171-the-141-world-tournament/results/

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/304-american-141-straight-pool-championship/results/

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_and_events/160-us-open-141-championship/results/

Only American on these lists is John Schmidt in 2012. Germany has a very reasonable claim as the best in straight pool.

Yeah, those German rubber rails on those Diamond Tables! Not all the best players can go to Windsor Fork Connecticut to play! Jezz, who picked that joint? Why not have it at "The Home of Straight Pool", right here in La Habra, California, 10 minutes from Hardtimes, at Scratch Billiards! On good old Gold Crowns! Every Saturday see the best 14.1 players hone their skills!

Attachments

• st8.jpg
    st8.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 20160220_230641.jpg
    20160220_230641.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 219
  • 20160227_191724.jpg
    20160227_191724.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 20160423_192423.jpg
    20160423_192423.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 216
  • strait.jpg
    strait.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 228

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think SVB is the straight favorite in 9 ball 10 ball depending on the format. I don't see people lining up to play him long races for big cash. That is a legitimate format that demonstrates a lot about the talent levels of the players.

If by "world play" you mean playing at the "worlds" tournaments…. then I think Shane is as much as a favorite as anyone else alive currently. Its hard to say someone is the favorite to win that type of an event, but he is certainly in the handful of names that people would predict.

I also think that bank pool is an area that the US would be competitive against the world. In that event we have young players who would be competitive against anybody (people like Skyler or Justin Hall) etc….

1 pocket is certainly a game that our top players are advantaged against the majority of the world, but that may be mostly because of the fact that the majority of the world doesn't play 1 pocket that much etc…

Just my thoughts!

It is hard to say Shane is the favorite to win a World event until he has won at least one. I would think Wu is the favorite to win any tournament he enters.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is hard to say Shane is the favorite to win a World event until he has won at least one. I would think Wu is the favorite to win any tournament he enters.

I think there is a short list of players who are favorites…. WU, big KO, Shane, Darren (in tournament play)….. I don't really think there is a single "favorite" in a tournament like the world 9 ball championships etc…

I also think it is pretty hard to discount or write off Shane's dominance at the US Open against World Class fields…. as well as runner up last year to KO at the World Nine Ball Tournament. (who really did get every role in the world to win that match)……..