What game did you grow up with?

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Started at 16 playing Snooker. Then when they made 9-ball legal in Texas, I started playing 9-ball. When I was old enough to go into the Bars, I started playing 8-ball. Still love 9-ball. Played the old way.

Chicken_Blood

Carpe Poultry
Silver Member
Straight pool and eight all at the NCO clubs in four different countries. Anyone remember quiet pool halls?

Jdale

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sat. afternoon "ring nine ball" money on 5 and double on the nine, 3, 4, 5, 6,and 7 players, cheap 50 cents and dollar mostly.
Other times straight pool, line pool, rotation, snooker and Russian billiards on a 5x10 snooker table. Very early sixties.
Dale

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who knock 8 ball don't understand the nuances of the game.

A truly laughable statement! Kind of like saying those who don't like the current 9 ball rules can't kick\jump. Just because someone doesn't like a game doesn't mean they can't play it. It may have been the first game I learned but I "grew up" on Straight Pool. I hate 8 ball but can play it very, very well if I have to.

Last edited:

Hud

Registered
bumper pool!

no seriously started on 8 ball (the sloppy bar kind). Discovered 9 ball and took an instant liking to rotation pool. So 9 ball.

chadsens

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started at 16 playing Snooker. Then when they made 9-ball legal in Texas, I started playing 9-ball. When I was old enough to go into the Bars, I started playing 8-ball. Still love 9-ball. Played the old way.[/QUOTE
Are you saying it was illegal to play 9-ball? Wow, never heard that before.... I played snooker on 6X12 tables for a few years before we even had 9 foot tables in town.... We used to play 8 and 9 ball on 5X10 table with snooker cut pockets. This is in Canada btw.

joe666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bumper pool!

no seriously started on 8 ball (the sloppy bar kind). Discovered 9 ball and took an instant liking to rotation pool. So 9 ball.

My father had a bar box and a bumper pool table in one of our living rooms, when I was growing up.
That bumper pool table is where I began before I could graduate to the bar box.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumper pool at six. Straight pool at twelve. Eight ball a little later.

Nine ball for many years, now mostly ten ball. I am 57 and lovin' it.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Started at 16 playing Snooker. Then when they made 9-ball legal in Texas, I started playing 9-ball. When I was old enough to go into the Bars, I started playing 8-ball. Still love 9-ball. Played the old way.[/QUOTE
Are you saying it was illegal to play 9-ball? Wow, never heard that before.... I played snooker on 6X12 tables for a few years before we even had 9 foot tables in town.... We used to play 8 and 9 ball on 5X10 table with snooker cut pockets. This is in Canada btw.

Yes. It was illegal to play 9-ball in a pool hall, in Texas, before 1959 or 1960.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Straight pool. And btw, a game of straight pool is not called a race. That term applies to a number of games played in a set, not the number of balls required to be pocketed to win one game of straight pool.

Using that term is as incorrect as calling pool table cloth felt. They both make you sound like a neophyte.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I came up in straight pool. 9 Ball was played as well, but bragging rights were always decided playing 14.1. Little to no 8 Ball was played in pool rooms back then by "serious" players playing for money.

Today, especially given all the pool played in bars, 8 Ball would have to be the most prevalent game I'd think.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, what was your game of choice when you starting slapping the balls around the table in your earlier days?

really didn't have a choice :smile:

the never-close poolrooms of Wash DC (70's and 80's) had all the seasoned players at any one time. all played OnePocket or 9Ball

you wanted good pool it was here. unbelievable talent 24/7

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up playing straight pool and occasionally 8 ball with friends but by the time I was in high school and college nine ball was the main game people were playing but I was also playing a little 3 cushion until the only room in town with a carom table closed.

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today, especially given all the pool played in bars, 8 Ball would have to be the most prevalent game I'd think.

I would tend to agree with that. I also see 8 and 9 Ball being the most prominent game in a pool room with the younger crowd.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I would tend to agree with that. I also see 8 and 9 Ball being the most prominent game in a pool room with the younger crowd.

True enough. Pool rooms and coin ops are different animals. I too see 8 Ball played in rooms as well but with the exception of leagues mostly by the casual crowd to whom pool is just an accessory to the night out. Certainly on the coin-fed 8 Ball is the most played game.