What I have left: 2x Southwest, 2x Mike Wheeler, Jensen, Whitten and George

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After years of buying and selling and collecting I'm down to 5 cues and a couple of cases. It's been a fun ride, I've owned over 100 high end cues over the years including most of the big names. These last cues represent the "hit" I prefer and work for me. Unless I come across some "steals" I'm done with the buying and selling.

I've had over 20 SW's and these two SW's are what remains. I saved them since the 9 pointers seem to be less common and they are almost exact opposites of each other.

The Wheelers are interesting since they seem to be incredibly rare. In fact, in all my years of collecting, I can only recall seeing 5 or 6 total. It's my understanding that he was an apprentice to both Richard Black and Bill Schick. I also heard that he is no longer making cues? At any rate, the workmanship is superb and I would put the quality right up there with the Black's and the Schicks that I've seen. I can't bring myself to let these go since they don't seem to bring the $ that they should. Rather than give them away, I'll enjoy them. (Thanks Fourkingscues for marketing them for me). Both cues play great. I would love to see other photo's of Mike Wheeler cues if anyone has any.

The cue in the middle is a beat up Jensen that I've had for years. The butts a little warped but it plays super. Oddly enough I've owned over 10 Jensens and this one plays better then all of them.

Lastly the two cases are keepers for me since I don't care for pockets, shoulder straps, and such. Just a handle....elegant and simple. An old It's George and Whitten.

Anyway...that's it.

Attachments

• DSCN0468.jpg
    DSCN0468.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 637
  • DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0467.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 624
  • DSCN0466.jpg
    DSCN0466.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 623

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dog Duffy also insists that "rainbow knobby ball" also be included as part of the collection....

Attachments

• DSCN0462.jpg
    DSCN0462.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 617

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Cues

Nice quintet of cues.

Tell Duffy I'll play her for the "rainbow" ball.
She's got the 7.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice quintet of cues.

Tell Duffy I'll play her for the "rainbow" ball.
She's got the 7.

Now Ted, Duffy may agree to that, however all paws must be allowed on the felt.

Thanks for the complement on the cues Ted. That is something considering your collection considerably outnumbers mine. :wink:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Duffy

Now Ted, Duffy may agree to that, however all paws must be allowed on the felt.

Thanks for the complement on the cues Ted. That is something considering your collection considerably outnumbers mine. :wink:

I would stake one of my Dachshunds against her but their legs are only like an inch long and they don't like my Hager extension.

As far as Jensen cues are concerned I think they are outstanding players.
I have 4 and Chris Byrne is refinishing a really old one.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would stake one of my Dachshunds against her but their legs are only like an inch long and they don't like my Hager extension.

As far as Jensen cues are concerned I think they are outstanding players.
I have 4 and Chris Byrne is refinishing a really old one.

Only 4 Jensens Ted? I thought you had to have 10 of everything?

As far as the Dachshunds go, I'm afraid that they would have an advantage in length (reach), Duffy would need the 8, at the very least.

I also forget Ted, that you have a Wheeler. You've joined an exclusive club.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice collection! I too have a Jensen that plays indescribably well so I know what you mean.

I've only had one that played poorly. Every other Jensen was very nice....a good bargain for someone who wants a good player. Thanks for the complements.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You've kept a group of winners for sure (including Duffy's highy discerning advice, of course!). Kinda odd that you've chosen on "hit", and wind up with 4 big pins, and then a 5/16-14 piloted Jensen. It is what it is though, huh!? Jimmy Reid thought a lot of his Jensen - may still have it. That Bushka-esque Wheeler is my own fav for style, but I'm a 5/16-14 piloted joint guy. Great cues - congrats!

Last edited:

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've kept a group of winners for sure (including Duffy's highy discerning advice, of course!). Kinda odd that you've chosen on "hit", and wind up with 4 big pins, and then a 5/16-14 piloted Jensen. It is what it is though, huh!? Jimmy Reid thought a lot of his Jensen - may still have it. That Bushka-esque Wheeler is my own fav for style, but I'm a 5/16-14 piloted joint guy. Great cues - congrats!

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I generally have preferred big pin wood to wood, but the Wheelers actually don't play like any steel jointed cues that I've ever had. The Jensen also does not seem to play like most 5/16 cues. All in all, all 5 cues are similar in hit despite their joint differences.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Wheeler

Only 4 Jensens Ted? I thought you had to have 10 of everything?

As far as the Dachshunds go, I'm afraid that they would have an advantage in length (reach), Duffy would need the 8, at the very least.

I also forget Ted, that you have a Wheeler. You've joined an exclusive club.

My Wheeler is also a steel joint 3/8-10.
Super solid hit.
I played with a Wheeler cue with a 3/8-10 solid ivory joint for a while that hit a little softer but I love the way Mike Wheeler cues play.

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
Wheeler

One of those cues just said "Da Bears... -something-or-other- SAW-SEIGE". I know, it must be that "Chicago style" Wheeler;)

See ya around,

Ivan

Gary A

Registered
Wheeler cues

Mike builds a great cue. We are actually in the process of putting together a shop so you will see more Wheeler cues in the future.

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike builds a great cue. We are actually in the process of putting together a shop so you will see more Wheeler cues in the future.

That's interesting. I'm very impressed with both of this cues. Any idea what ferrule material he was using in 1999. It has a slight yellow tinge, but you can definately see "linen" fiber? Both of these cues really play solid.

I wish you guys the best in your future cue building endeavors.

I'm actually headed down to your neck of the woods this Tuesday for Jazz Fest in New Orleans.

Gary A

Registered
Wheeler

Feel free to call about any questions you might have (318) 221-2500. Right now the shop hours are 10 am to 6:30 pm central time. Have a great time in New Orleans.

Last edited: