What is a good way for a low-level player to handle unwanted advice?

Minnesota Phat

I like playing pool, but I'm not good at it, and I get so much unsolicited advice from other players that it is starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes this happens even when I'm just practicing by myself - random strangers will come up and say I should do x, y, or z.

I know they're trying to be helpful, but sometimes I just want to bang balls around, and not be in school. I'm also suffering from information-overload, which has caused my play to suffer, as I am too aware of the 17,000 things I need to work on, and second-guessing a shot makes me miss and/or foul about 90% of the time.

And that's not to mention all of the bad or useless advice.

I also notice others giving their partner advice during doubles games, which almost invariably leads to the shooter missing, and sometimes leads to arguments between teammates. I call it "unintentional sharking."

I do appreciate that people are trying to be helpful, and that's nice, and sometimes I enjoy gleaning knowledge from better players, but I could use some advice about how to politely signal that I'm not in the mood for a pool lesson.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like playing pool, but I'm not good at it, and I get so much unsolicited advice from other players that it is starting to get on my nerves. Sometimes this happens even when I'm just practicing by myself - random strangers will come up and say I should do x, y, or z.

I know they're trying to be helpful, but sometimes I just want to bang balls around, and not be in school. I'm also suffering from information-overload, which has caused my play to suffer, as I am too aware of the 17,000 things I need to work on, and second-guessing a shot makes me miss and/or foul about 90% of the time.

I also notice others giving their partner advice during doubles games, which almost invariably leads to the shooter missing, and sometimes leads to arguments between teammates. I call it "unintentional sharking."

I do appreciate that people are trying to be helpful, and that's nice, and sometimes I enjoy gleaning knowledge from better players, but I could use some advice about how to politely signal that I'm not in the mood for a pool lesson.

Easy:

"Thank you for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind."

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Tell them you ‘identify’ as a banger and please use the proper pronouns when addressing you!

That is funny but I think it could work ok.

Then you have the guy who wants to learn, is the old dog who want to learn but physically can not.

Had guy ask the other day how come he could not see well, coming from bright outside, to dark pool room.

He has cataracts did not understand they deminish vision. After some discussion it was suggest he wear sunglasses more, and remove indoor to allow eye to adjust to low light faster.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just thank the person early on in their startup discussion. Acknowledge that you are new to pool
and you are just starting lessons with someone later this month. So the last thing on your mind is
to fill it with tips and suggestions on what to do differently. You’d rather listen to your new coach’s
recommendations who warned you about listening to what other players tell you to change. Explain
this is why you rely on a solitary coach instead of a committee of players telling you what they think.

Jack Fate

many years ago I stopped at the pool players bar on the way home from work @ midnight.
While shooting by myself there’s 3 fellas in the corner talking & sorta playing. This one guy keeps telling the other 2 how to play.
Me not knowing if this guy is drunk or just a blowhard or?
Well one of the quiet guys says hay you should shoot this guy . That guy was Bucky Bell and to this day I haven’t seen ( in person) anyone shoot clusters better , or kicks
The other 2 guys turned into my best friends & always had some situations of how do you play this?
So needless to say sometimes unsolicited instruction is a very good thing

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Say, thanks for the advice but I am enjoying pool at my own pace. Not that I like to suck but I like to figure things out myself and ask for help when I want to.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
many years ago I stopped at the pool players bar on the way home from work @ midnight.
While shooting by myself there’s 3 fellas in the corner talking & sorta playing. This one guy keeps telling the other 2 how to play.
Me not knowing if this guy is drunk or just a blowhard or?
Well one of the quiet guys says hay you should shoot this guy . That guy was Bucky Bell and to this day I haven’t seen ( in person) anyone shoot clusters better , or kicks
The other 2 guys turned into my best friends & always had some situations of how do you play this?
So needless to say sometimes unsolicited instruction is a very good thing
Sounds like a perfect hustle.

And giving the wrong advice makes it even better.

Just sit around tell people how to play until they get got enough to play you then unload. And when they lose tell them you tried to tell them how to play.

Kind of like a variation of the hoo-rah where you tell people you beat Efrem Days and willy macaroni and no one in the room can beat you..... Then they try it and lose and you say I told you that you couldn't win....