What is it called?

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there an agreed upon name for the format of the Predator One Pool virtual tournament? The format of 15 points for BNR, 1 point per ball for BIH option and 0 points on dry break.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there an agreed upon name for the format of the Predator One Pool virtual tournament? The format of 15 points for BNR, 1 point per ball for BIH option and 0 points on dry break.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
It’s a variation of a game format originally called Equal Offense. That game was a 14.1 variant with 10 innings. Max score per inning was 20 points. It was BIH after the initial break. There was no bonus for play as they lay. With today’s video options different venues could compete against one another. The upside is competition, even in Covid times. The downside is no safety play development.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a variation of a game format originally called Equal Offense. That game was a 14.1 variant with 10 innings. Max score per inning was 20 points. It was BIH after the initial break. There was no bonus for play as they lay. With today’s video options different venues could compete against one another. The upside is competition, even in Covid times. The downside is no safety play development.
I play equal offense nearly every day. 3 sets this week in the 120's which isn't bad for an old man with cataracts. Is this without he 14.1 break? I'd enter except my video camera doesn't have an upgrade for windows 10 so I can't post anything online.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody trying this at home and keeping score?
I disclosed in another thread, but the first set I did I got a 58. I thought I was hot shit...
Since then, I have done it a couple more times and been unable to get near that score.
Turns out, just shit. Not hot shit.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play equal offense nearly every day. 3 sets this week in the 120's which isn't bad for an old man with cataracts. Is this without he 14.1 break? I'd enter except my video camera doesn't have an upgrade for windows 10 so I can't post anything online.
and for the people who are only partially paying attention to the thread as they read it- you know we all do it. ..

the op is referring to a game that is 10 ball, not 14.1.

Format is 15 points for a break and run with no ball in hand. 10 points for a break and run that begins with ball in hand. 1 point for each ball pocketed in a case where the run out is not completed. Foul at any point ends that turn.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and for the people who are only partially paying attention to the thread as they read it- you know we all do it. ..

the op is referring to a game that is 10 ball, not 14.1.

Format is 15 points for a break and run with no ball in hand. 10 points for a break and run that begins with ball in hand. 1 point for each ball pocketed in a case where the run out is not completed. Foul at any point ends that turn.
I realized that after I found it on youtube. With covid restrictions this is probably as good as anything else.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realized that after I found it on youtube. With covid restrictions this is probably as good as anything else.

It is good stuff, as is the 14.1 you mentioned.

I just wanted to clarify the fact the games are different, for those that might be inclined to try one and not the other, based on preference for either.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is good stuff, as is the 14.1 you mentioned.

I just wanted to clarify the fact the games are different, for those that might be inclined to try one and not the other, based on preference for either.
I'd be interested in high level players playing equal offense. Break 15. BIH behind the headstring. Can't shoot a ball in the kitchen on the first shot. High run per inning is 20. 10 innings = 1 set.

The big difference between that and 14.1 is the balls are more spread out and break ball options more limited.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be interested in high level players playing equal offense. Break 15. BIH behind the headstring. Can't shoot a ball in the kitchen on the first shot. High run per inning is 20. 10 innings = 1 set.

The big difference between that and 14.1 is the balls are more spread out and break ball options more limited.
The game in the OP is 10b, so break shot concerns other than making a ball on the break are nil.

There is another game that kind of straddles 14.1/ 10b equal offense we've touched on here: Rack all 15 and break, shoot any ball in any pocket until 5 balls remain, at which point the 5 balls are run in numerical order. Iirc, shooter gets 1pt for the first 10 balls and 2pt for each of the 5 made in order.

jaywheel

Registered
Dry breaks are killers at high level though. You saw it with that Russian girl in the rd of 32. Round of 16 Hewitt lost because of a bad break on the last frame where he had to open a cluster which wasn't easy even with ball in hand. Otherwise a good format if you like all offense pool.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game in the OP is 10b, so break shot concerns other than making a ball on the break are nil.

There is another game that kind of straddles 14.1/ 10b equal offense we've touched on here: Rack all 15 and break, shoot any ball in any pocket until 5 balls remain, at which point the 5 balls are run in numerical order. Iirc, shooter gets 1pt for the first 10 balls and 2pt for each of the 5 made in order.
I'm familiar with that. I think Hopkins may have been involved in that at one point. I think equal offense is more challenging because you have to execute the break shot with limited options from the beginning.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Am I to assume that the inning continues after a BNR? I.e. I shoot, take BIH, run out, rack 'em and break again and make a ball, shoot three total balls in (including the ball on the break) then miss and my score would be 13 for that inning? Or is that two innings of 10 and 3?

Or does the inning end after a BNR?

And is the scoring standard 10 innings?

Also, what happens with balls on the break, do they stay down?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I to assume that the inning continues after a BNR? I.e. I shoot, take BIH, run out, rack 'em and break again and make a ball, shoot three total balls in (including the ball on the break) then miss and my score would be 13 for that inning? Or is that two innings of 10 and 3?

Or does the inning end after a BNR?

And is the scoring standard 10 innings?

Also, what happens with balls on the break, do they stay down?
Equal offense.

Break the full rack of 15 balls. Regardless of whether or not you make a ball on the break you take bih behind the head string and cannot shoot a ball in the kitchen on the first shot. Any balls made on the break spot and do not count toward your score. After that you are playing 14.1 unto you reach the maximum score of 20. If you miss before you get to 20 the inning ends and your score is however many balls you pocketed. Rack and repeat until you reach 10 innings.

The scenario you describe isn't accurate. This is a version of 14.1 not 10 ball.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i feel the penalty for a dry break to be much too severe

the home run derby is interesting but not a true test of skill