What is my best choice with fluorescent bulbs ?

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
It’s time to change my F96T12 bulbs and I’m wondering what gives the best light. These are HO and cool white. I’m not going to led because I just changed the ballast.
Thanks

bmeek

Registered
Listen to Buckshot, LEDs from HD will drop in and make your table look so much better and be less fatiguing on your eyes.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think T8s and T12s are interchangeable and as long as you have single pin tombstones(sockets), if not you can change them, this is what I did.
I contacted someone who has done a lot of Diamond lights, I had 4 T8, 8 foot fluorescents in my Diamond pool light. I got rid of the ballasts and installed KT-LED43T8-96G-850-D LED tubes. I really like them but do your own research, the ballasts are easy to get rid of and the following site shows the different ballast configurations and how to bypass them. Good Luck!

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Here’s the thing...it took me 2 days to drop that heavy light and change the ballast and rehang the light. I’m going to replace the 8’ fluorescents and just want to know which provides the best color and easy on the eyes.
Thanks

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Here’s the thing...it took me 2 days to drop that heavy light and change the ballast and rehang the light. I’m going to replace the 8’ fluorescents and just want to know which provides the best color and easy on the eyes.
Thanks
Sometimes it's best to cut your losses. This is one of those times. Get LEDs that can be used with a ballast. I know you want to know what florescent tube to get, but LED is the best way to go. If you absolutely refuse, get something like the Reveal type lights to show true color.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you dont seem to realize that the led lights that fit right into your fixtures are the same but give better and more efficient light.
the ballast isnt a factor. go to h.d. and get them for t8 and t12 replacements. buy two for your fixture and you can take them back if not happy.

but 5000k seems the best for me for pool.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you dont seem to realize that the led lights that fit right into your fixtures are the same but give better and more efficient light.
the ballast isnt a factor. go to h.d. and get them for t8 and t12 replacements. buy two for your fixture and you can take them back if not happy.

but 5000k seems the best for me for pool.
Yep.... 5000 lum is appropriate. Bright enough to see every detail.... but not overpowering on the eyes. That is in a table light that is 40 inches above the table. A Diamond fixture is much higher. But 5000 will be just as bright as any florescent bulb, run cooler, less energy, AND will be less strain on his new ballasts.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Ok...you all have convinced me. I will look for the led that are comparable with my brand new ballast.Thanks everyone!!

DO THEY MAKE THEM 8' LONG ?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are (3) specs to consider with lighting: Kelvins, Lumens and CRI

Kelvin is a measurement used to describe the color temperature of a light source.

Lumens measure how much light you are getting from a bulb.

Color Rendering Index (CRI) is a quantitative measure of the ability of a light source to reveal the colors of various objects faithfully in comparison with an ideal or natural light source.

The most popular Kelvin rating for pool table lighting is 5000K although some people prefer 4000K. I prefer 5000K and feel it is the most "natural" light.

Lumens is equally as important as light temp, if not more so. IMO, the brighter the better. I run (8) 4' fluorescent (gasp!!!) bulbs in the God Crown Light I built and each bulb is rated at 2600 Lumens; multiply that by eight and it is a total of 20,800 Lumens lighting up the table. Ideally, you want 18,000-20,000+ total Lumens. IMO, the higher (more light) the better.

The CRI rating you should shoot for is right around the 90 mark or above. This will give all the colors associated with our game a faithful reproduction with the human eye. The bulbs I use have a CRI of 90.

If you are dead set against the LED's, you can check to see if Philips makes the bulbs below in 8'. These are what I've used in two different lights I've built over the last 5 years and the lighting on my table has been excellent. Good luck! Post your results.

Here's my setup:
49726405907_5924fe6a1e_h.jpg

Last edited:

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I got the plug and play bulbs but they are single pin and my light needs the HO pins. I’m done and going back to get fluorescents. I’ve played under fluorescents for years and never had a problem. I guess I’m not ready for the modern era 😀

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other thing to note when converting to LED bulbs. If you are using diffusers on your fixture, be sure to get the frosted LED's. Clear LED's with diffusers will cause the light to tiger stripe.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got the plug and play bulbs but they are single pin and my light needs the HO pins. I’m done and going back to get fluorescents. I’ve played under fluorescents for years and never had a problem. I guess I’m not ready for the modern era 😀
you are just an old fart !!!! :eek: 😂😂