AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
beiberlvr
my last post may come off as harsh
let me say i enjoy your posts and beleive you are one of the good guys
:smile:

I know.

To answer your question...nothing.

The only reason I asked was for curiosity's sake.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to be around 60 degrees or so. I love these shots =P

A 90 degree cut would be about 6-8 inches above the red ball against the rail.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what degree to tell you it is but i can tell you that it's extremely close to a 1/8 hit

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshots are from this VIDEO of Stephen Hendry making a 147.

The shot in question is a thin back cut on the black early on in the run. I've seen it come up before, and it always amazes me how easily they make it look.

Does anyone know the approximate angle of the cut here? Does the camera just make it look more difficult?

2dRnrqYx9wC.png

i5QvcH6EBjt.png

The shot seems harder because of the open table in front of you. If you measure the angle and set up the same shot in a different position you will probably cut it right in no problem. This is especially true when there is a rail in you line of sight. Seems to make the shot much easier.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a couple almost identical 45 degree cuts. The back cut looks way harder, my feel is because you don't have the short rail to gauge your aim against.

Attachments

• backcut.jpg
    backcut.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 404

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a couple almost identical 45 degree cuts. The back cut looks way harder, my feel is because you don't have the short rail to gauge your aim against.

I don't think it's quite right because he seems to be bridging about 1/4-1/2 a diamond above the corner pocket and you've got the CB shot line over the corner pocket. Actually, you've got the CB shot line to the right inside of the pocket :p

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
..."back cuts" like that are more difficult than other shots anyway - because you don't have the usual visual cues from the rails. That's been discussed a few times here.

The shot seems harder because of the open table in front of you.

The back cut looks way harder, my feel is because you don't have the short rail to gauge your aim against.
That's also why cutting balls down the rail is easier, not harder (at least for me) - the rail is a handy guideline to the pocket.

In fact, you can make cuts on OBs in the middle of the table easier by imagining a rail beside them going to the pocket - we've discussed that several times here.

pj
chgo

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you draw a straight shot at the black into the long rail (0 degrees), and draw a 90 degree cut (towards the red), you can approximate where 45 degrees is (bisect the angle).

Look a little bigger than 45 degrees. So, somewhere around 53.72 degrees?

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

I put this to rest setting it up on my snooker table a la Dr. Dave methodology and Cornerman is exactly correct within allowable deviation. (I just rounded it off to keep it simple.)

As always, PT109 is correct as well....this is a natural in-off shot, a losing hazard (scoring shot) in English Billiards, and so a commonly played line for enthusiasts of that game. This natural in-off can be estimated when the line of your cue stick crosses the face of the top cushion (bottom cushion in the picture but properly termed the "top cushion") at about 10 inches from the center of the corner pocket. When a snooker player leaves himself this shot, I can almost guarantee that it is a positional error. In this case, Stephen Hendry was fortunate that the interfering red ball allowed him to play the black confidently. In fact, if you watch the video, he actually played the standard insurance policy shot when faced with this scenario and chose not to use the interfering red ball as his cue ball "brake". Instead, he played a soft draw which forces the cue ball off of its natural in-off line. Playing natural roll surely would have contacted the lone red with a result of anybody's guess. Playing the shot he chose, the white does curve quite a bit after contact with black although it is hard to discern because they chose that exact instant to change camera angles. The soft draw makes the pot more difficult than the natural roll and it nearly bit him in the butt anyway with the cue ball nearly going in-off the pack into the middle pocket. He truly got away with another error there.

Anyway, this is a pretty straightforward shot for a proper snooker player. One of the aspects about snooker that is easier than pool is that when playing colors off spots, the player ALWAYS knows the angle needed to pot the ball. It is a Pavlovian response. Stephen Hendry has played the black off its spot tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions(?....probably not) of times in his career so he knows EXACTLY the ghost ball position to put it in the pocket. Potting the shot shown is actually not that difficult...I could probably make it half the time. When white is on the cushion in the same line, it becomes incredibly difficult and you are very, very likely to scratch even if you make it.

See the attachment to see the calculations.

P.S. - A snooker player would never, ever give consideration to the fact that this is "a 55 degree cut" or anything of the sort. Been playing the game for about 35 years, have faced this basic shot hundreds, if not thousands of times before. It is just a "thin cut to black pocket, play to avoid the in-off"...enough said. Here is another video of similar but in which the player (Alex Higgins) did not make a positional error in going to that position; he did it on purpose to lay the groundwork for the following red. Then from that red, he played to almost the same angle on black again to play the same angles to get on the yellow from there. Watch it from the 9:00 to the 10:00 mark and you will see what I mean. There is no calculation involved....just a matter of having done it many, many, many times before:
https://youtu.be/Mga4tirIdTM?t=540

20160228_103819.jpg

Last edited:

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another one that pushes the limit of a cut shot on a snooker table. Measured it at about 75 degrees but contact was probably even less due to cut induced throw. Note how very little the white deflects after contact with black. The link will start with the fluke red just prior to the thin cut. I think it would take another 99 tries before I might be able to pull this one off again.

https://youtu.be/aUpgUgSpc1o?t=125

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is another one that pushes the limit of a cut shot on a snooker table. Measured it at about 75 degrees but contact was probably even less due to cut induced throw. Note how very little the white deflects after contact with black. The link will start with the fluke red just prior to the thin cut. I think it would take another 99 tries before I might be able to pull this one off again.

https://youtu.be/aUpgUgSpc1o?t=125

Wow! What a nice shot! Thanks for sharing.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I'd say the angle of the camera makes it look more difficult than it is.