What is the Angle of this Shot?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screenshots are from this VIDEO of Stephen Hendry making a 147.

The shot in question is a thin back cut on the black early on in the run. I've seen it come up before, and it always amazes me how easily they make it look.

Does anyone know the approximate angle of the cut here? Does the camera just make it look more difficult?

2dRnrqYx9wC.png

i5QvcH6EBjt.png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just eyeballing it...

A 90 degree cut would hit near the red ball at the rail, so probably less than 60 degrees.

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The shot in question is a thin back cut on the black early on in the run. I've seen it come up before, and it always amazes me how easily they make it look.

Does anyone know the approximate angle of the cut here? Does the camera just make it look more difficult?

2dRnrqYx9wC.png

i5QvcH6EBjt.png

I don't know the math on this shot....but I can tell you that if you roll the black in....
....and there are no obstructions....
...the cue ball will drop into the side pocket.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's about 48 degrees according to the pool shot analyzer app.

Attachments

• back_cut.jpg
    back_cut.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,021

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I don't know the math on this shot....but I can tell you that if you roll the black in....
...the cue ball will drop into the side pocket."

You obviously did not watch the video.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
"I don't know the math on this shot....but I can tell you that if you roll the black in....

I think the shot is at 2:40 on the video.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
It's just like that angle shot anywhere else on the table except the pocket opening is different as it is for many shots.

What I think many do & forget is that they hit it soft & forget about the collision induced through or "push" as I use to call it before being crucified for speaking such scientific blasphemy.

One may not want to hit it hard because the cue ball is being turned loose & sent around the table.

So, an option is to hit it with outside english to counter the CIT or hitting it softer with more spin & throw it in which allows for a bit more full of a hit.

I'm talking pool table & not snooker.

It's not that difficult to even just cut it in but keep the CIT in mind if hitting it softly.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

It's true.....I looked at the picture only....maybe you should also.
There is a red ball blocking the cue ball from going in the side pocket....
...but if you set this shot up on a snooker table...6x12...you'll see what I mean.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looking at it more carefully, I think it's not much more than 45 degrees (about a 1/4 ball cut).

Yes, the camera makes it look more difficult, but "back cuts" like that are more difficult than other shots anyway - because you don't have the usual visual cues from the rails. That's been discussed a few times here.

pj
chgo

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One may not want to hit it hard because the cue ball is being turned loose & sent around the table.

So, an option is to hit it with outside english to counter the CIT or hitting it softer with more spin & throw it in which allows for a bit more full of a hit.
Rick,

That's one of the myths in which a good piece of paper and a sharp pencil can be employed for the purpose of debunking. The spin induced throw that allows you to make a fuller hit and therefore, putatively, reduces the CB's post-impact velocity because of the fuller hit, withdraws the favor and speeds up the CB accordingly (equal and opposite friction forces).

You can get some useful reduction when the balls are very close to each other, however, because of the smaller approach angle (ghostball angle) from the fuller hit. But when the balls are separated well beyond, say, six inches...to pick a number, and especially at larger cut angles, the effect is practically nil.

Jim

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

2dRnrqYx9wC.png

i5QvcH6EBjt.png
If you draw a straight shot at the black into the long rail (0 degrees), and draw a 90 degree cut (towards the red), you can approximate where 45 degrees is (bisect the angle).

Look a little bigger than 45 degrees. So, somewhere around 53.72 degrees?

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Rick,

That's one of the myths in which a good piece of paper and a sharp pencil can be employed for the purpose of debunking. The spin induced throw that allows you to make a fuller hit and therefore, putatively, reduces the CB's post-impact velocity because of the fuller hit, withdraws the favor and speeds up the CB accordingly (equal and opposite friction forces).

You can get some useful reduction when the balls are very close to each other, however, because of the smaller approach angle (ghostball angle) from the fuller hit. But when the balls are separated well beyond, say, six inches...to pick a number, and especially at larger cut angles, the effect is practically nil.

Jim

Jim,

Practically nil can be huge & the difference between a mis & a make & the amount of the nil depends on the amount of spin & the ratio to speed.

I am fairly sure that Bob Jewett's spot cut back shot had some outside english on it, but I am not sure, it may have had a bit of table lean to it too.

Rick

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I am fairly sure that Bob Jewett's spot cut back shot had some outside english on it, but I am not sure, it may have had a bit of table lean to it too. ...
The cue ball had more outside english than the vast majority of pool players ever get on the cue ball intentionally. But more or less standard spin for carom players. And the OB was dirty. The cut angle was about 93 degrees.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like any other shot:
Identify the point on the object ball that has to contact to make it go to the pocket
Hit that spot with the cue ball
:grin:

Hendry loves to open up the reds off that black.
With his second black he knocked three reds out of the pack.
On his third black he knocked another red out near the pink.
That is how he keeps runs going and his opponent sitting.

As Stephen says:
If you can't kick you opponent when he's down, where's the fun in it?

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't do so smart wit nummers and stuff...but one does have to recall that to a player of that level, it is easy.

Ya dont play well if you don't drop that ball a high % of the time.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ok
lets assume someone gave you the perfect answer to the angle
now what???
just askin