What is the best pool cue joint/pin type?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I corrected some misinformation on here as gets done here many, many times a day, and it was done cordially. You expressed that you weren't able to understand it. I took the time to try to explain it, a couple of times, again very cordially. Then you got all snooty for no reason whatsoever. Tell me how that makes any sense? Obviously I responded in kind at that point.
you wouldnt understand it..... 😂

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There really is no best joint as long as opinions vary.
It's whatever feels best to you.
You could argue that all you want but you can't change the fact.
In building the cue, it matters more based on the weight of the joint, the -A- joint if there is one and whether it has a weight bolt or not and the woods used.
So to me it matters.
Do I offer one specific joint, NOPE!
I offer many.

Take any cue with a full old school stainless joint. Remove it and put phenolic. The balance point changed because you replace the weight of the joint and made up the difference in the bottom to have the same weight.
Balance changed, why wouldn't the hit change?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The owner of this Cue, has had just about every Cue name I could think of.
He sold them all under a year.
He asked for an ivory joint over stainless so I did this. He's had this cue about 10 years now and rediculous offers to sell it.
Am I suppose to say those things don't matter?
It matters and more than most think!

Attachments

• IMG_150622_111346.jpg
    IMG_150622_111346.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 119

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There really is no best joint as long as opinions vary.
It's whatever feels best to you.
You could argue that all you want but you can't change the fact.
In building the cue, it matters more based on the weight of the joint, the -A- joint if there is one and whether it has a weight bolt or not and the woods used.
So to me it matters.
Do I offer one specific joint, NOPE!
I offer many.

Take any cue with a full old school stainless joint. Remove it and put phenolic. The balance point changed because you replace the weight of the joint and made up the difference in the bottom to have the same weight.
Balance changed, why wouldn't the hit change?
I see your point(s) but how could someone confuse a Meucci with a steel-joint ADAM? That's exactly what happened in that '91 cue test. Does BP really have much effect on the hit/feel at impact? I'd think that tip, taper, ferrule would have far more to do here.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see your point(s) but how could someone confuse a Meucci with a steel-joint ADAM? That's exactly what happened in that '91 cue test. Does BP really have much effect on the hit/feel at impact? I'd think that tip, taper, ferrule would have far more to do here.
Every single part of it matters to me. But people like what people like. It won't change.
Based on my Cue repair side, I've repaired some things that would make you scratch your head for a week trying to imagine why it was constructed that way.
End result.
It has made me a better and more versatile Cue maker.
That's Priceless!

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too. I'm on my own waiting list.
Funny story from last week.

A guy I thought was you had a post on facebook, I made a rare comment and finished the comment by saying you have the best leather wraps in the business.

His reply?

He wants a cue from you, then I realized it was not you.

I do enjoy your posts, keep up the great work.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story from last week.

A guy I thought was you had a post on facebook, I made a rare comment and finished the comment by saying you have the best leather wraps in the business.

His reply?

He wants a cue from you, then I realized it was not you.

I do enjoy your posts, keep up the great work.
Hahahaha
Thank you

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what do you think plays the best uni-loc or 3/8x10 pin has anyone everhad a problem with a uni-loc joint?
any other suggestions? as what is the best pin , seems like most of the custom cue makers use a 3/8x10 i assume it is because of feel but i break with my player i just like the control better. what would be a better choice for a new cue stainless steel joint with a 3/8x10 pin or uni-loc?
How can a pin "play best" given that everything is done right when the pin is installed, I doubt you will feel a difference in a blind test. Personally I offer Radial and 3/8-10 flat bottom on my cues, mostly because that's what I'm most comfortable installing and I have carbide sanding mandrels in .835" and .840" for both pins ( a $1000 investment right there) and both pins come in a multitude of materials, so I can dial in the balance by choosing the right pin material.

Reactions: bbb

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really is this simple.
New Cue construction
Desired joint goes hand in hand with -A- joint construction.
-A- joint usually has a bolt, of what material?
Well that depends on the Joint screw and material desired!
They go hand in hand.
Pool Cue equals wood puzzle.
Finished Cue options?
-A- joint is no longer part of the equation.
Take a Cue with a phenolic joint, change the phenolic to a full stainless.
Let the fun begin!
Why is the blind test Bullshit?
Because the Cues were already finished and THE CUE MAKERS new what to use at the -A- joint to make thier Cues balance!

• Love
Reactions: bbb

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best cue joint is the one that mimics the feel of a one piece cue.
Says you!
How about
We use to live in a world of one piece Cues.
THEN
Someone thought
It's a pain in the ass carrying this one piece around.
HEY CRAFTMAN
Can you split this in half and make it a two piece so it's easier to carry around.
Craftsman says SURE
Would you like anything else changed, weight, balance point, the added joint materials?
The Customers says
HOLY SHEEP SHIT
I have options????
Oh boyyyy
And it started the gears turning.
Use you Imagination. Where are we at today in Pool Cues!
And of course what goes with it is,
The Birth of the Pool Cue case!!!!!

Zerksies

Says you!
How about
We use to live in a world of one piece Cues.
THEN
Someone thought
It's a pain in the ass carrying this one piece around.
HEY CRAFTMAN
Can you split this in half and make it a two piece so it's easier to carry around.
Craftsman says SURE
Would you like anything else changed, weight, balance point, the added joint materials?
The Customers says
HOLY SHEEP SHIT
I have options????
Oh boyyyy
And it started the gears turning.
Use you Imagination. Where are we at today in Pool Cues!
And of course what goes with it is,
The Birth of the Pool Cue case!!!!!
Snooker is more popular then pool and most of them cues are one piece