What is the experience like purchasing a case from John Barton/JB cases?

nevadarain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This question is to those who recently made first time purchases of a JB case and who didn't already have an existing relationship with John.

I am trying to purchase a custom made case, and I have reached out to him via email on multiple occasions over the last several weeks with no reply.

The email addresses I used were jb@jbcases.com and sales@jbcases.com

Is it normal to not hear from him for several weeks? Is he still making custom cases or just focusing on selling pre-made cases through his Facebook auction?

Is he an easy individual to work with? I guess my ultimate question is, if he ever does respond to my email, can I trust him with giving him a full payment in advance for a case?

I'm a little concerned that as a business owner(unless he doesn't need the business), if it's this difficult to give someone my money, what is the communication going to be like afterwards, especially when it comes to any type of customer service, repair, etc?

CJBCoug

This question is to those who recently made first time purchases of a JB case and who didn't already have an existing relationship with John.

I am trying to purchase a custom made case, and I have reached out to him via email on multiple occasions over the last several weeks with no reply.

Is it normal to not hear from him for several weeks? Is he still making custom cases or just focusing on selling pre-made cases through his Facebook auction?

Is he an easy individual to work with? I guess my ultimate question is, if he ever does respond to my email, can I trust him with giving him a full payment in advance for a case?

I'm a little concerned that as a business owner(unless he doesn't need the business), if it's this difficult to give someone my money, what is the communication going to be like afterwards, especially when it comes to any type of customer service, repair, etc?
I have bought two cases from them with absolute no issues. His wife does all the responses and design effort before the production starts. Just go ahead and build your design on the website and then submit your order. She will contact you after a little bit to firm up the order and ensure all the design is correct. Before officially starting production, she will provide you the proof and get confirmation from you it is good to go. They have many videos on youtube where they go over the different type of cases, colors, etc. I recommend watching several of those to determine which type you would like to buy.

NevadaP

I bought a custom case from JB a little over a year ago. As I recall, I couldn't get exactly what I wanted via the 'self design' on the website, so I ended up exchanging email messages with them. They were slow to respond, and I went a long time after my order and payment with no communication. I'd have been nervous other than they have a great reputation for quality of product, and have been doing it for a long time.

Toward the end of the process, when things had drug on longer than I thought they should, I did get an email response from John. Turns out he had tried a different liner in my custom case, and wasn't satisfied that it was up to his standards, so he took it upon himself to make it better. That took some time, but he threw in some extras and the case exceeded my expectations. It's a leather case, and a work of art. Built like a tank, but beautiful. Worth every dollar and every week I waited.

If ever I'm in need of another case, I'd not consider anything other than a JB. I know that it will take some time, and the communication is slow, but that's just how their business works. But it does work.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I have bought two cases from John an both experiences have been great. My cases were custom and correspondence with the JB company was great. Don’t expect to work with John directly. I worked mostly with Asia and some with John’s wife. They were wonderful to work with.

Thread 'Gonzo Diver JB Case 4x8 Butterfly Review'
https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/gonzo-diver-jb-case-4x8-butterfly-review.519658/

Thread 'JB 2x3 Rugged Leather Hybrid Gonzo Diver Case'
https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/jb-2x3-rugged-leather-hybrid-gonzo-diver-case.533951/

Reactions: bbb

chasrwest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have bought two cases from them with absolute no issues. His wife does all the responses and design effort before the production starts. Just go ahead and build your design on the website and then submit your order. She will contact you after a little bit to firm up the order and ensure all the design is correct. Before officially starting production, she will provide you the proof and get confirmation from you it is good to go. They have many videos on youtube where they go over the different type of cases, colors, etc. I recommend watching several of those to determine which type you would like to buy.
This^^
I bought a simple ultimate rugged that I designed with their online tool, paid, got the design approval email, then received the case. It actually came earlier than they quoted. The case is outstanding, well-built, and holds my cues securely.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The testimonials here seem to indicate that people eventually get what they want. I personally will not do business with unresponsive merchants, this is your choice based on the above feedback. It would drive me crazy to deal with a lack of communication, perhaps you are much more tolerant - some other folks here also appear to be very tolerant of such business practices- not me.

This is just a general comment on business practices and is NOT targeted at any specific business.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He's at his poolroom, Chester's in Okla.City, a lot. You might try catching him there.

SSP

I literally just got my first ever JB Case last night, I have owned an Instroke Cowboy case, and cases from companies like J&J, Lucasi ect., but JB cases are on another level, I got one from Seybert's so I wasn't able to customize it but the things I want to add I can get at SBE in a month and half, I know why there is so much love for his cases, I know you can call him to discuss designing a case but he charges for that service, I think it's $25.00 for a half hour, the wait will be worth it

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I either purchased or helped others get 4-5 JB cases, all with custom work, did it all online without email. Only time I had an email was when they confirmed the order and sent me in progress pictures to approve the final work. They got to me in pretty much the estimated time.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ll tell you my experience with JB.

I ordered a case and, when it arrived and I put my cues in it, it looked like the stitching had stretched a bit (I purchased a butterfly and not the rugged). I sent him a video of what I detected and he said to return it and he would fix it. He “fixed” it by building me a whole new case that included the chalk pocket that my previous case didn’t have.

I’ll definitely buy another one when the time is right.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

I bought my case several years ago. For a review, I love my case. I did have a little bit of an issue with the delivery, but I believe that was the fault of UPS or whatever carrier we used at the time. It got lost in the mail. I contacted John and after a couple of times trying to resolve the issue, he just sent me another case. I think he is a very busy man, but a fair man as well. I would purchase from him again. My advice is just have a little patience. I'm sure he will get back with you.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
My last case had a lot of customizations as seen in my links above. During the entire process I was kept up to date with progress. Occasionally I had to request an update when they were busy, but I did get updated. I know they don't normally do this for simple cases, but I received pictures along the way for approval.

They allowed me to add a feature during the process without an issue since they were still building it. In one of the update pictures, I noticed a design error on a couple of the pockets. I offered a compromise, so they did not have to build new pockets. They said no it was their mistake and they re-made the pockets as they were requested.

So again, service and product were awesome.

47446ACD-5A0C-41A0-9F64-0C079B2208A0.jpeg

37CC7113-6624-42B7-8C9E-40A6A06E5EE2.jpeg

979A2DA4-2428-4B1F-9516-BCA32C68E013.jpeg

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew (assumed) the online designer on their website wouldn't work for the design modifications I wanted, but after talking to a lady on the phone and given instructions on where to put additional notes I placed my order on Nov 14th, 2022. Within a few days I received an email with a rendering and a few questions from them to clarify what I wanted. The order said that it would be 12-16 weeks.

I picked it up yesterday (3/1/23), and it exceeded my expectations.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm wildly hesitant to buy anything "custom" online. Of course that basically means I'll never really have anything 100% to my liking...lol

Much like my JB Rugged case. I bought from John at Vegas one year, so it's an off the display fence hook standard rugged. I would love to have a few things changed with the pockets but that's not in the cards.

I'll double down on the quality of JB Cases. If there was ever a shop I'd entertain attempting a custom order. It would be his.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had some disagreements with john about some things outside pool that probably hating each other lol🤷‍♂️
I have a custom case by him for years now 5-10, can't remember. Soon after purchasing the shoulder pad piece with my last name on it went bad. I sent it the pad back and it took longer to get it back then it did to make the whole case ( 14 weeks ).
2nd time just a couple yrs ago I sent it back just to fix a zipper and some other small thing. He has a lifetime guarantee on his work.
I was astounded when he sent me a brand new case! I just figured he'd fix it since it was a small repair.
So in closing, disagreements aside with john, he is bar none a standup guy and guarantees his work for life, and I have nothing but respect for him and how he handled business with my case, which I love by the way! I do not have any problems giving kudos to him regarding his cases even though we butt heads on other issues ( political lol ).
Thanks for your help and how you treated me with regards to my case john barton! Appreciate you sir!!😊😊

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had some disagreements with john about some things outside pool that probably hating each other lol🤷‍♂️
I have a custom case by him for years now 5-10, can't remember. Soon after purchasing the shoulder pad piece with my last name on it went bad. I sent it the pad back and it took longer to get it back then it did to make the whole case ( 14 weeks ).
2nd time just a couple yrs ago I sent it back just to fix a zipper and some other small thing. He has a lifetime guarantee on his work.
I was astounded when he sent me a brand new case! I just figured he'd fix it since it was a small repair.
So in closing, disagreements aside with john, he is bar none a standup guy and guarantees his work for life, and I have nothing but respect for him and how he handled business with my case, which I love by the way! I do not have any problems giving kudos to him regarding his cases even though we butt heads on other issues ( political lol ).
Thanks for your help and how you treated me with regards to my case john barton! Appreciate you sir!!😊😊
By the way, I forgot to sign lol
Sincerely Steve Knoll

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He makes great cases and you can't beat the warrenty. He told me he will not be at SBE,
If you want a case watch for his next Facebook auction. He usually has 100 cases to sell.

Being well aware of the lead times, my purchase wasn't a custom. Rather, I snagged a 4x8 that caught my fancy during a live stream auction. If you need one in a hurry (like I did at the time) and don't need to customize it, that's your best bet. Also, watch him drink the occasional questionable shot of liquor like Malört (yuck)